Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • So… got my Top Fuel under 20lbs
  • njee20
    Free Member

With Rocket Rons too – using Furious Freds would’ve been cheating, as they’re only usable about 5 days of the year!

Been riding it since December, but with a few little changes it’s now happily under 20, which I’m chuffed with!

Spec is:

-OCLV carbon frame, RP2 shock
    -Fox Float RL FIT Remote fork, tapered steerer
    -A2Z hubs/Podium MMX rims/Revolutions (1246g with yellow tape and valves)
    -XTR M980 groupset including brakes
    -Custom Mathias Hellore titanium 36t chainring and bodged chain guide
    -KCNC 160/140 rotors, now with Ashima alu rotor bolts
    -New Ultimate stem
    -X10SL chain
    -Bontrager seatpost/saddle
    -Mount Zoom bars, titanium bottle cage, skewers and top cap
    -Egg Beaters with ti axles
    -Alligator I-Link cables
    -various alu and ti bolts

It’s rather fast. I like it a lot. Anyone in the ‘your scales are wrong’ camp is more than welcome to have a heft at Mayhem next weekend – I’ll bring the scales too! Still need to get a few more alu bolts, want to make a new cage for the chain guide out of carbon too. Not a huge amount else I can be bothered to do though!

MikeT
    Free Member

Good work, those Mt Zoom bars are a bargain.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Jesus that’s impressive – how does it ride?

snaps
    Free Member

how does it ride?

Just what I was going to ask.

This amazed me today How light?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Might be light but its **** ugly in a way that only a mother could love it

rOcKeTdOg

impressvely light but butt ugly, scrape the paint off and it’ll be even lighter!

njee20
    Free Member

Good work, those Mt Zoom bars are a bargain.

Agreed, their ti bottle cage is nice too, lighter than the Race X Lite Carbon it replaced and it doesn’t mark bottles!

Jesus that’s impressive – how does it ride?

Quickly! I love it to be honest, I’m used to racey bikes, and it’s just so fast. Shame about the rider really.

Might be light but its **** ugly in a way that only a mother could love it

Certainly splits opinion, can’t say I’m that fussed either way!

njee20
    Free Member

impressvely light but butt ugly, scrape the paint off and it’ll be even lighter!

It’s a weird satin paint which is much thinner than normal, it scrapes off if you look at it strangely!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You must fill the tires with helium

njee20
    Free Member

If that worked, I’d try it 😉

kimbers

im happy coz i got my stinky under 40 today! 😳

Crag
    Free Member

I’d be thrilled to get my 5spot under 30!!

mrmo
    Free Member

there was me reasonably happy with my Top Fuel being 25lbs, oh well.

squiff
    Free Member

Is that a home made chain guide apart from the bit which is from superstar? I need the same for my Anthemx

paulo6624
    Free Member

My on one summer season weighed I’n at 32.87 lol

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I got my enduro under 20lb before now when I stripped all the bits off it.!

njee20
    Free Member

Is that a home made chain guide apart from the bit which is from superstar? I need the same for my Anthemx

Yep! It’s a Superstar BB mounted guide, a DMR seat tube clamp (£3 off CRC) and an offcut of carbon! I originally used some rack stays which worked well, but were a bit flexy. Impressed with it though, never dropped the chain, raced and ridden it all over the place!

squiff
    Free Member

njee20

It looks good, I have the superstar chain bit, Right aim going to copy you cos I like it and it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than those e thirteen and mrp devices.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, that was why I did it. Alternatively I think Superstar may be about to do a seat tube mounted one.

squiff
    Free Member

Am just trying to work out what size DMR seat tube clamp I will need, think i need the 34.9 clamp???. Am wanting to get it done before MM next weekend if I can.

donsimon
    Free Member

There must be a good couple of kilos in logos and logo paint. Could cut a couple of cms of the brake hose, bars are too wide and the saddle appears to have some kind of padding… 🙄
    This Mountain Mayhem of which you speak, does it have any mountains?

oxym0r0n

Where’s the commitment…

Cut down the steerer and loose the spacer, switch to SIDs without lockout, loose the bottle cage and computer mount, 160 front rotor,cut down seatpost, lighter saddle – I’m sure there’s a bit to loose yet 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I do want to switch to a crown mounted lockout, they don’t do 100mm SIDs with a tapered steerer in the UK, I was planning to swap, and remove the lockout! I could trim the steerer, affects resale value!

Bottle cage stays – not drinking tends to slow one down in races! Computer mount is a bit pointless really, but I like all the data! It is a 160 rotor, seatpost is at it’s shortest, saddle is a surprisingly light 150g. I used to use SLRs, but they don’t last.

Not doing badly though 🙂

This Mountain Mayhem of which you speak, does it have any mountains?

No, it’s a load of muddy fields and a course I’d never consider riding outside the event, but as it’s the single biggest MTB event in the UK I don’t really care, it’s a lot of fun! You’re right on the hose – there’s another couple of inches in the top tube I need to trim! Like the saddle (see above!) so that stays.

It’s gotta be usable first and foremost, I trust all the parts on it. Could save some extra weight, but IMO it’s either too expensive to justify (XX cassette) or would compromise performance (unpadded saddles and what not). Certainly happy with it more or less as is for now!

flow
    Free Member

Is this your only bike?

I have always found light bikes horrible to ride unless you’re racing, no fun whatsoever.

njee20
    Free Member

Only MTB yep! I love it! Got some Hope Hoops on Crests for when I’m not racing, but prefer the lighter ones. I think light bikes have come on significantly in the last 5 years or so, it handles extremely well, plenty stiff enough. I find it a great trail bike, personally I find heavy bikes horrible, it’s what you’re used to frankly! 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

Could shave a few grams off with a sensible length stem 😛

Good effort, well done. My bike is perhaps 8 or 9 lbs heavier than yours, but having saved 8lbs off my old bike I now totally see the point when done right

njee20
    Free Member

100mm’s not that long! Only 102g too! 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

impressive well done.

slowrider
    Free Member

102?! 😯 I’d be so scared riding stuff that light, but then im a bit clumsy and tend to hang on and hope

njee20
    Free Member

It feels perfectly stiff (to mr at least!). In fact there’s an appreciable difference in front end stiffness compared to the 2010 one, guess tapered steerers really do help!

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Looks nice mate, well done! What I like and find the most impressive is that you have achieved a significant weight saving with fairly ordinary parts. Nothing out of the ordinary or overly exotic. The bike looks like you can still ride it day in and day out with its intended purpose in mind, unlike some of the light bikes I have seen. 😀

Keva
    Free Member

just out of interest how much do you weigh ?

Kev

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

looks good, recently built a sub 20lbs bike myself, but hardtail and I have to sub carbon rigids to get the 20lbs. I’ve come to realise that a light bike gives me a much more enjoyable day out for a not very fit person, rather than lugging round a hardcore mince tank, just to go a bit faster on the downs. Strangely, I’m now almost looking forward to the climbs. I’ve still got the big bikes, but just for playing on, blasts in the local woods or occasional trips to the Lakes. By comparison, they don’t see the light of day very often now.

flow
    Free Member

You had a 2010 one then bought a 2011 one?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

njee, are all the carbon Treks coming with tapered headtubes now? I’m waiting on a warranty on my 2009 elite 9.9ssl.

What does that mean to my current fork, can I use it as-is?

keavo
    Free Member

good effort, well done. do you have some sort bullemic bike anorexia disorder:-)

MikeT
    Free Member

flow – Member

You had a 2010 one then bought a 2011 one?

As I recall Njee is sponsored, he’s actually justifies that build unlike a lot of weight weenies (myself included).

grum
    Free Member

Mostly when I see superlight bikes I think they look like they would be crap to ride. That looks like it would be pretty fun to ride, nice one. Also you’re not just doing it for the sake of it unlike many people 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

swedish, i can half answer the question, you can get adapters to allow the use of non tapered forks in a tapered head tube.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Those Top Fuels are mega! Had the pleasure of demoing a 9.9ssl when they first came out and loved it! Superb on the downhills and even pretty chuckable on the jumps at the Spooky Woods… Looks good mate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘So… got my Top Fuel under 20lbs’ is closed to new replies.