Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • So Gatlin spoils the party
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oops….

allthepies
    Free Member

He hadn’t read the script.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fitting or not?

Thought usain might have been faking the dodgy form. But no, the fairy tale ending didn’t happen

“the race that no one will replay”

The fitting epitaph from Steve Cramm

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bolt has been out of form – it’s not a massive surprise he didn’t win this. Script? What shite.

A twice caught drugs cheat wins the World Championship? If the IAAF don’t want this happening, then stop guys like this competing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How many would be left…..?

aracer
    Free Member

all of those who haven’t been caught yet

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A twice caught drugs cheat wins the World Championship? If the IAAF don’t want this happening, then stop guys like this competing.

Agreed. Caught once, serve your ban, come back with the additional scrutiny (Contador, for example). Caught twice? FOTTFSOF and then FO some more.

ads678

+1 should not have been allowed to race again after the second fail!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t know – how many of the eight finalists are twice caught drugs cheats?

(Which of course is a different question from how many of the eight finalists are drugs cheats.)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agree that Gatlin should not have been there

BUT, frankly i find it difficult to imagine any pro sport is clean. So i simply view it for what it is…..

The modern day version of the Colliseum feeding the masses

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s what it would be whether it was clean or not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s what it would be whether it was clean or not.

Quite.

Furthermore, Gatlin not only came back from his second ban, but has also got quicker as he’s got older. Hmmm……

mikey3
    Free Member

Bolt comes third running a seasons best time,like the guys on T.V.said fair play to him for turning up when it was clear he was in average form/on the downslope,he could have retired ,put himself up to be shot at,pity about the ending.

BigJohn

The world (and the weasel Darren Campbell) expects Bolt to be gifted first place. It’s the world champs. The fastest wins. Boo hoo. Don’t bleat about previous bans – he raced within the rules. No world class competitor in any sport doesn’t sail within a thousand’th of a millimetre of the rules.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Boo hoo.

No need to cry about it sugar tits.

frankconway

Not the result the majority wanted.

Bolt’s legacy is totally unaffected by this; he is, unquestionably, the greatest track & field athlete – ever. He was yesterday and will be for some time to come.

One strike and you’re out is the only solution.

Track & field is tainted in the same way cycling was – and still is.

Message to the IAAF – grow a pair; develop effective legislation and implement it fully and consistently without fear; fat chance of that. Coe talks eloquently but does nothing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

But has also got quicker as he’s got older

If he was British, such a thing gets overlooked conveniently…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If he was British, such a thing gets overlooked conveniently…..

Examples of British athletes who have served two bans and have then come back and got quicker as they got older please.

Take your time.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bolt has seemed unbeatable for so long, pushing the boundaries of time for 100m and 200m.

But as Chris Really sang, “Don’t you ever think no one’s better than you.”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s not what you said capt though was it??

Of course Gatlin is a cheat and should not be winning gold medals, but we have a remarkably myopic view on this issue.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure what CFH said, but go on then, example of a British athlete with a similar doping history to Gatlin…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, it is rather the point. Caught twice, banned twice, came back and is still getting faster as he gets older. That latter piece isn’t normal. When taken with the earlier piece, it’s even worse.

Examples of British athletes coming back from a ban, or bans, and getting faster as they get older, please.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s a different point to the one you originally made so need to answer…

We turn a blind eye to Brits who achieve the same thing – never mind. Not hard to think of a number of plucky losers who’s became world beaters is it. But in their case, just hard work and plucky British spirit perhaps. Lets hope so…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We turn a blind eye to Brits who achieve the same thing

Example of a British athlete coming back from a ban, or bans, to win a World Championship please.

Take your time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry cap’n, you are correct our heros and heroines are 100% clean. They got quicker as they got older by pure hard work. Please ignore any of my earlier comments that may have been misinterpreted as saying something different.

aracer
    Free Member

Go on then – an example of who you’re referring to

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did I say that all British athletes/sports people are clean? No.

Did I ask for someone British with a comparable, or even less than comparable doping history that had a similar track record? Yes.

Brits who achieve the same thing –

British sports person with a doping suspension(s) followed by world title.

Apparently we turn a blind eye to these situations, so that means they must have happened. So, take your time, and show your workings. Who?

The closest might be Millar, with a Commonwealth gold after a ban. Not sure anyone’s turned a blind eye to his doping suspension.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Christine Ohuruogu? Banned for missing drug tests in 2006 then came back to win a world championship in 2007?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Linked Christie won Olympic gold in 1992, after testing positive for a stimulant in 1988.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As you know CFH I was referring specifically to the issue of those who got quicker as they got older. My point about Gatlin was made separately.

But I am happy to go to bed in the knowledge of the plucky Brits who did this – got quicker as they got older – did this by honest hard work alone. Phew. Makes you proud doesnt it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ohuruogu. Suspension, not a ban.

the Independent Committee stated “There is no suggestion, nor any grounds for suspicion, that the offence may have been deliberate in order to prevent testing,” and that a fair ban would have been 3 months. Ohuruogu passed tests 9 days before and 3 days after her final violation

mogrim

Bolt’s legacy is totally unaffected by this; he is, unquestionably, the greatest track & field athlete – ever. He was yesterday and will be for some time to come.

Eh? Better than Zátopek? Mo? Lewis?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

A suspension for not complying with drug rules. But British so obviously not a doper, just a bit forgetful.

aracer
    Free Member

Well if we’re going to get picky about specifics, then the quote from CFH you first responded to was:

But has also got quicker as he’s got older

Note the “also” – so which British athletes have got quicker as they’ve got older also?

Caher

Or Michael Johnson?

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey … 😆

(general feeling btw not aiming at anyone :mrgreen: )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But I am happy to go to bed in the knowledge

Oooh look, a squirrel!

You can give examples tomorrow.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Of what, something I have never claimed, why do that?

Red or grey ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thought you were going to bed?

aracer
    Free Member

of a British athlete who has also got quicker as they’ve got older if you please, that was the claim.

a flying one

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘So Gatlin spoils the party’ is closed to new replies.