Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • So.. Full fat or 27.65+?? (dune v marin)
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Debating a cheapish fat or flattish bike
    Calibre dune fat bike with 26x 4″ or a marin pine mountain 1 27.5×2.8″

Both pretty budget options but a good enough Base for upgrading. Used for local loops and some longer days in hills.

Btw both weigh the same

Dune would be 540 and marin 750 tho marionette yet available

MadBillMcMad

I’d go for the 27.65 – but the tyres are rare as hen’s teeth.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Fatty all the way !!!

firestarter
    Free Member

Mmm… Not much help here then 😉

Just spotted my typo mad bill thanks

Northwind

Marionette eh? Your autocorrect is haunted.

They look pretty much on par for quality, I do like the Pine Mountain. Loving my Dune too but it’s not better or worse, just different, I wanted full fat. One thing is, the Dune is pretty much the most attention seeking bike in the world, so if you’re not into that it’s maybe one to avoid.

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah I’d seen yours northwind it looks good I do love the marin colours reminds Mr of my youth

I trying to work out what would be the better size wheel. I’d be as I say doing the local loop but mainly I’d like it for a nice long day in the dales. No record setting pace just plodding. Maybe a frame bag and seat bag and a bivvy or two.

Part of me thinks 27.5 faster and less energy sapping and generally a better all round option. But then the dune with a few bags on and all day to ride seems too good to pass up. I also get 10% fire service discount too on the dune

Mmm…..

rickmeister

Have both, dune then the other wheel set

Bobs your aunties live in metrosexual hipster friend with benefits.

firestarter
    Free Member

Probably cost same as the marin that idea 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

And if you get the one on display another 10% off on top so 20% off the Dune…….just saying 😆
    And I’m loving my Dune………

firestarter
    Free Member

I tried that suggests it was a no go on the ex display discount 🙁

Northwind

firestarter – Member

No record setting pace just plodding

This might wear off, but, one of my first kind of fat bike revelations is that I’d really forgotten how to enjoy a slow ride. On the other bikes, I always feel like I should be going somewhere fast, because I can. On the fat bike, well, I can still go fast but it’s a hell of a work and I can’t really be arsed. So trundling around on it comes very naturally and it’s basically reminded me of a side of riding that I’d kind of lost. And then it helps that it encourages you to go and ride slow stuff that maybe wouldn’t be any fun on narrow tyres (first proper ride on the Dune had me riding along a beach on a reservoir getting my feet wet, frinstance). I hope it doesn’t wear off.

What’s unhelpful about this comment is I have no idea if the same applies to B+. I think it might, but maybe not so much. I want a B+ hardtail too!

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah that’s no help 🙂 I can see buying a fat thinking Christ this is draggy should have gone 27.5+ but if went other way thinking this is same as a 29error should have gone full fat lol

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both formats a little, I’m opting for b+ for now but partly because I can reuse my 29er frame. My hunch is b+ will stick.

But yourself: is the option for run 5″ish tyres for sand and snow important to you? If it is, then you have to go fat, the decision is made.

Also if you are adamant you want rigid, go fat for maximum cush. I’d prefer a sus fork in either format. A big tyre is not a proxy for suspension IMO, or vice versa, but they work together well.

mattjg
    Free Member

As for pace, once off road neither a 4″ fatty or a b+ were particularly slow to climb. The improved traction keeps the rear wheel on the ground. Northwind’s POV works too – what’s the rush?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I think Northwibd has perhaps hit the nail on the head which is where a lot of the enjoyment factor comes in……it’s no longer a race it’s a bike ride, still a challenge say to clean the unclimbable on normal tyres climbs but on the trails there’s a great confidence boost to trundling along and over off camber roots knowing you are very unlikely to be laying on the floor/removes the nervous element of riding…..I found myself looking around even more than I normally do not thinking about the odd rock that may knock you off line as the tyres just roll over it unnoticed.
    It’s rigid SS simplicity with the feeling of a softtail ride so you’re backs not beaten to hell or your arms (great if the joints are getting a bit creaky). I could see variations on it however ending up as a race to ride type bike, plus I run fatter wider tyres on my Cove anyway to do that sort of full bore riding.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wierdly I’ve not found my fatty to climb that much better than my normal HT, it might grip better but then the HT would just slip/spin until it found grip whereas in the same place on the fatty once the bike stops it’s not going to get going again.

It does however get funny looks from the Enduroistas on their Mondrakers and Santa Cruz’s when it comes up behind them on the descents faster than maybe they thought it would.

NormalMan

Suggsey – Member
    I think Northwind has perhaps hit the nail on the head which is where a lot of the enjoyment factor comes in……it’s no longer a race it’s a bike ride

This is the appeal of a fat bike to me. I spend most rides pushing the pace (for me, not that I’m fast in terms of others) and mainly that is on the road bike.

I was ill through stress earlier in the year and the Dr said have a relaxing bike ride. I took the 29er and the camera to relax and take some wildlife photos but ended up at maximum attack all the time!

I’m hoping a fat bike forces a new mindset.

Northwind

Just a wee expansion on my last post… FOr all it’s nice to ride slow especially on flats and climbs that doesn’t mean it’s not good to ride fast, I had a good time at innerleithen confusing uplift riders 😆 I’ll be racing it in the falkirk funduro in a couple of weeks and might do some SES rounds on it if it seems like it’ll be fun.

MadBillMcMad

a more relevant comment (then my previos one – sorry)

I have a OO Fatty & love it – goes anywhere – rides everything, my bike of choice at the moment.
    A mate has a 29er+ (krampus) & that is undoubtedly faster.

But I do love the fatty & it does allow me to ride things that others can not do – Lancashire bogs being its natural playground.

Saying that I would seriously consider a 275+ bike – Loving the look of the Cotic Solaris, which I reckon would make a great general bike & also a great bikepacking bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

Just ordered a dune 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

And here it is 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘So.. Full fat or 27.65+?? (dune v marin)’ is closed to new replies.