Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • So, being able to see the front hub on your roadie?
  • fathomer

Appologies for yet another roadie thread but..

I’d never heard of the ‘you shouldn’t be able to see the front hub’ on your roadie until a thread on here recently, and I appreciate it’s a rough guide but is this when your on the hoods (which I’ve assumed it is) or on the tops?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it was suggested as something when I was looking at a used one, mostly as a quick check to do, remember you can move the seat and change the stem to compensate. Can’t remember if it was hoods or top.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Its only a guide so it doesn’t matter.

Jamie
    Free Member

Coincidentally, I was thinking about this the other day. As I noticed I can see my hub.

Probably not the most interesting observation I have ever made.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

When on the hoods.
    It is only a rough guide, but it’s one of a few fairly solid starting point when it comes to fitting.

hora
    Free Member

I **** love my road bike. FACT.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

I **** love my road bike. FACT.

Oh…kay.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh and its a road bike, you are a roadie.

convert

is this when your on the hoods (which I’ve assumed it is) or on the tops?

Neither – it’s when you are on the drops.

tis only a guide though.

fathomer

The main reason for asking is I’m planning on buying a new bike and test road a Giant Defy (which I’d almost decided on) last weekend and it felt far to cramped & upright. Not only could I see the hub but a good chunk of the break pads as well. The 100mm stem and 35mm of spacers probably didn’t help!

But I can also see the hub on my Boardman which I think is considered a pretty racey position, even with 130mm stem.

To be honest I’m really struggling to come to a resonable decision and local shops aren’t much help!

Edit: That was on the reccomended size for my height. I’d apparently need to be 2″ taller for the next size up.

Jamie
    Free Member

When on the hoods.

Neither – it’s when you are on the drops.

Sorted.

fathomer

Jamie – Member
    Sorted.

Clear as mud then 🙂

antigee

great pic from mikewsmith – not just the correct riding position which i’ll practise later but the spectator who is doing a vertical take off – where’s he going?

langylad
    Free Member

I had a bike fit by a chap a couple of years ago, Nick Dinsdale (much respected in these parts as a cycling physio guru), and i’m fairly sure he set me up as on the drops you can see the hub, hoods you can’t, bar you can see it again (sorry Nick if I’ve remembered this wrong but would seem to make sense).
    Whatever he did it stopped my tendonitis 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

but the spectator who is doing a vertical take off

Took me a while to notice him…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jamie, i think he meant the guy on the left.

Time to edit, I’ll delete this for £5

Jamie
    Free Member

I regret nothing.

proutster
    Free Member

Jamie, you sir are a genius with far too much time on your hands 😀

bob_summers

It might be arbitrary but seems to work on any bike I’ve had. The other ‘rule’, that your fingers should touch the handlebar with your elbow against the saddle nose, has never worked, not even close… ❓

molgrips
    Free Member

I can see it, however my bike is comfy all day, even on the drops. It is only just big enough though – a larger frame and I might not.

antigee

Jamie, i think he meant the guy on the left

nah – Jamie has shopped the hoverer as ever good work

damascus
    Free Member

Far too much talented time on his hands. Took me a while to get that!

TiRed

My rule for being on the drops is that when I’m down and holding the bars, the front hub tends to fall in line with my thumbs. It’s only a rough guide, like all the others.

oldgit
    Free Member

From the hoods is what I was told.
    There’s in the drops 😈 and in the drops 🙂 and in the drops 😐

jameso

But is this before or after getting your knee above the pedal spindle? : )

Hub-sight test worked out on my old road bike set up, but on my more comfy, better fitting, equal average-speed overall road bike it doesn’t.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Another way a lot of roadies over here check if the frame/bars/stem is the right size is by putting their elbow on the front of the saddle and the hand on the stem. The fingers should be touching the middle of the steerer. Details here

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not one of those guides on that Aus site works on my road bike, which fits me fine.

Pile of crock. what a good joke 😀

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Article date: April 1st 2010

“Before you read on I should warn you to take a close look at the date before you take this too seriously.”

shermer75
    Free Member

Don’t let them fool you…

shandcycles
    Free Member

Lie horizontally (think planking) across the bike with your dangleberries resting on your stem cap. Your sternum notch should fit into the tip of your saddle and your nipple should be over the pedal spindle (nops). If your saddle/bar drop is correct, a 2p coin will roll slowly down your back and get wedged in your crack.

sssimon
    Free Member

I think we need a youtube video demonstration of the “Shand guide to dandyhorse fitment”

jameso

I’m not looking forward to getting fitted in your workshop Steven. I’ll send you my old jeans, can you do it off that? )

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you ride with Conti GP4s’s then your nose should not rub on the front tyre whilst on the drops, the front of the drops not the rear of them, nope it has to be the front. If riding with schwalbe’s then your nose must rub on the rear tyre whilst on the hoods.

Fact.

You know the best way to get a bike fit you? ride it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Lie horizontally (think planking) across the bike with your dangleberries resting on your stem cap. Your sternum notch should fit into the tip of your saddle and your nipple should be over the pedal spindle (nops). If your saddle/bar drop is correct, a 2p coin will roll slowly down your back and get wedged in your crack.

andytherocketeer

didn’t some scottish guy get nicked and banged up for doing that, when he was caught in the act by a cleaner?

teamslug
    Free Member

Jamie you have far too much time and far too much talent for on here…brilliant.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

what a crock the elbow on the saddle nose is!
    depends on saddle length and presumes that everyone has legs/arms/torso which are proportional.

There’s so many old fashioned rules of thumb floating about on forums and the internet.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Now that’s funny! Bravo Jimbo

shandcycles
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘So, being able to see the front hub on your roadie?’ is closed to new replies.