Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • snowshoes
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Last year I spent way too much time looking at deep powder, unable to get to it cos the ski road was buried. This year Im getting some snowshoes, to hoof it up, and board back down.
    Anyone got any recommendations or advice?

stevomcd
    Free Member

My personal recommendation would be the MSR Denali Evo Ascent. They’re nice and light, pack down very flat and the bindings work really well with snowboard boots. You can attach an extra section to the back if you need more float in really deep/soft snow.

They’re probably the best snowshoe around for steeper/more technical climbing if you want to use them in the Alps and get a bit more adventurous.

TSL (too many models to name!) are quite a bit cheaper, but in general they have pretty poor lateral grip, which you’ll find a major hassle if you start using them on steeper ground or in harder snow. I think they have started making some with “cookie cutter” type spikes on the base rather than the daft wee round points they usually have.

But really, you want a splitboard! 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

You are of course right, I do want a splitboard. Devilish expensive tho.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Having said all that, I’ve never bothered with snowshoes for hiking in Scotland. The nature of the Scottish weather and snowpack generally means you can find a line to hike where there is no snow or where it’s been blasted to the point that it’s rock-hard.

Apparently there are good deals to be had on the Atomic Poacher split-board.

I’ve got a very sexy custom Never Summer one that was my “getting-made-redundant-and-moving-to-the-Alps” present to myself…

Shandy
    Free Member

I have the MSRs, they are brilliant. I’ve seen a lot of TSL ones break, it can be very frustrating.

MountainKing
    Free Member

Another vote for the MSR ones, got mine from The Outdoor Shop in Milton Keynes, good prices and very helpful guy in the shop. And before someone asks no I don’t work for them, just very happy customer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘snowshoes’ is closed to new replies.