Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Snowboarding trip – what have I forgotten?
  • thenorthwind

Off to Bulgaria snowboarding next week. Haven’t been on a snow holiday abroad for nearly 10 years. What have I forgotten? (No, not my passport, fly, etc. :D)

DaveRambo

A decent UV chapstick ?

Without knowing what you’ve remembered it’s a bit of a hard question to answer

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ibuprofen

jemima
    Free Member

Goggles. Socks.

GrahamS

Bulgaria you say, I suggest some disinfectant and washing powder:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIYm5B_Pw8[/video]

(any excuse to post one of me favourite ski videos of all time!)

Anyway as long as you have:

– board, boots, bindings, spares, tools
    – hat, helmet, goggles, lenses, shades, snood/buff
    – thermals, mid-layers, tops
    – gloves, liners, socks
    – jackets, trousers

You’re good.

Though you might want a nice cocktail dress for the evenings.

madhouse

simple first aid kit to take care of aches & rubs

insurance?

GrahamS

Oh that’s a point: remember your EHIC.

willard

Dioralite and stuff to stop the runs. Heard some scare stories about some resorts in the former Eastern Bloc.

If you take a basic first aid kit you should be good though.

You have insurance though, right?

stumpy01

Suncream, some kind of lip balm, E111 card (or whatever it’s called these days), adequate snow sports insurance, camelbak with bladder?

thenorthwind

Thanks all. Think I’d thought of most things mentioned, I just didn’t want to forget something obvious (to others) having not packed for this sort of thing for a while.

Dioralyte, etc. is a good shout, though my stomach’s generally pretty strong.

Got decent insurance just after we booked.

Hiring gear to avoid the faff of excess baggage (about the same cost), though taking my own boots and protective gear.

jamiep
    Free Member

a small extension lead so you can charge multiple electronics

willard

Oh hell yes. I have a 4-gang that goes everywhere with me.

zbonty

Love that vid above. very funny asking as its not you that’s fallen in a river of pooh!

Edukator
    Free Member

After ten years, probably how to snowboard. I had left my board in the cupboard for a few years and skied all the time then junior needed a couple of lessons to get him started. Having survived the day without injury I sold my board.

thenorthwind

Oh hell yes. I have a 4-gang that goes everywhere with me.

What do you take on holiday that needs charging every night? Not being funny – genuine question!

After ten years, probably how to snowboard

Have done a bit in the UK in recent years. Though funnily enough, when I picked it up again a couple of years ago, I was better than before a ~8 year hiatus.

GrahamS

Oh yeah, I always take a little 4 gang too.

What do you take on holiday that needs charging every night?

Not every night, but it can be pretty handy when me and the missus both want to charge phones and a cameras. Saves buying loads of adaptors too (most of which are fairly lethal).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Take yer bike, theres no snow 😆

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Charging – I’ve gone ‘native’ – got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desktop-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology-Motorola/dp/B00KHN9SE4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1453217432&sr=8-8&keywords=anker+charger

It uses a figure 8 lead, so get one with an EU 2 pin on and a few 30cm micro USB cables. Very compact package especially when you don’t pack a single 3 pin plug!

Will do tablet, our phones and GoPro overnight. Camera uses the same power lead so I just take the small charging block and that’s everything covered.

GrahamS

Take yer bike, theres no snow

I don’t know how Bulgaria is doing but the Alps certainly have snow now. La Plagne posted this image on Facebook today:

Posted by La Plagne on Tuesday, January 19, 2016

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah ha, in that case..

Take yer fatbike 😆

lunge

Skis?

ads678

Yep I bought a French plug whilst over there and wired it up to a 4 way UK extension lead. No more adapters for me!! I generally drive over there though so don’t need to worry about space in bags etc…

Have spare goggles/lenses for flat light been mentioned? Sun Cream?

GrahamS

Why I don’t like travel adaptor, especially when travelling with kids:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOTiQKkQMo[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1DlBpyS9w[/video]

jairaj

I’ve just come back from Bansko and there is plenty of snow. An extra 60 cm fell the night before we got our flight home 🙁 I was hoping we’d be snowed in and could get another day of powder but no roads were more than clear enough to take us to the airport.

I found the food was very good, better than French resorts, especially as a veggie. I think they want to impress you so you’ll come back so they make more effort.

davosaurusrex

Wrist braces.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Padded shorts.
    Depending on accommodation – bog roll

thenorthwind

I found the food was very good, better than French resorts, especially as a veggie. I think they want to impress you so you’ll come back so they make more effort.

That’s promising, if surprising. Most of the reviews of all the hotels we looked at made negative comments about the food, so we went for a bed and breakfast deal and aim to eat out every night.

Wrist braces.

Check.

Padded shorts.

Check. And back protector. And knee/shin guards.

Depending on accommodation – bog roll

Hmmm, can’t hurt to have a roll!

jairaj

My comments about the food were regarding the restaurants on the slope and in the town.

We booked through Bansko Sports and Paul gave very good recommendations on where to eat in town.

On the slope we kept going back to Bla Bla restaurant which is at the bottom of Shiligarnik lift. The guys there were great we’d skip breakfast and get up early to avoid the queues for the gondola, ski for a bit and head into Bla Bla for breakfast. They weren’t serving food yet but they opened up the kitchen and rustled up something for us.

russianbob
    Free Member

Tigerbalm or Deep Heat

thenorthwind

@jairaj

Thanks for the tip about Bla Bla restaurant! Any other specific recommendations for eating out in town? Got a couple of veggies in the group.

tallie
    Free Member

Screwdriver / multi tool so you can adjust your stance / tighten your bindings? I normally prefer a decent size one which I leave in the chalet but it depends on the resort as occasionally the ones available at lift are poor quality.

Mounty_73

We went to Borovets last year, we paid for breakfast and evening food with our package, but we ate out every night as the food was so good (and cheap).

I have been to many different destinations but I have to say I had some of the best food in Borovets and the people working in the restaurants would constantly go above and beyond with customer service, we met some really nice people out there.

We are going back in a few weeks 🙂

russ295
    Free Member

There’s lots of good restaurants in bansko but my favourite was the steak house on the left, just past the sports bar/strazhite hotel where perin st splits. Been a few years since I was over there tho but went about 7years in a row.
    The restaurants down towards to old town (right at the sports bar) were always better than the ones by the gondola.
    I’m sure bansko sports Paul (aka winterfunman) has a guide he emails out.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Snowboarding trip – what have I forgotten?’ is closed to new replies.