Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Small world
  • wwaswas

There's some old bloke who looks vaguely like me in the bathroom mirror every morning.

lunge

2 stories spring to mind.

1st was when I decided to have an impromptu trip to London with my then girlfriend (we lived in Birmingham). Walking past the London Eye and I literally walk into my parents who had also decided to have a random trip to the Capital.

2nd was when travelling. Sat in a hostel in San Diego talking to a kiwi girl. After the usual questions she asked where I was from, “England” is the reply, “where?” “near Birmingham” “where near Birmingham?” “near Stourbridge” “where near Stourbridge”… turns out she had lived about 2 mins walk from where I lived and we had drank in the same pub almost certainly at the same time. We decided to go drinking to celebrate.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I used to fix thepodge off here's computer, before I knew he was thepodge

mogrim

andytherocketeer: Electronic Eng. (when Zepler building was the one near Admin block, and they just built/opened the Airfix building that some years later got torched).

Ah, there was a guy (can't remember his name) on my Aeronautics course back in 1990 that built rockets, he set fire to a couple of square miles of forest with some dody rocket he'd built out of magnesium tubing, I was wondering if it was you. That would have been a small world!

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Did a post grad course in Scotland. Finished in about '93 and never saw any of the others from the course again until 2009 when one of them started in our office in Perth WA. Both been in the nuclear industry in the UK and both bailed to come to Oz. The company he worked for were bought by mine.

I married a Perth girl and we got married out here. They have a master of ceremonies rather than have the best man in control. The MC we had was a friend of my wife's family. Turned out he, the organist and my father had all been to the same uni in Belfast in the 50s

hora
    Free Member

When did you study in Southampton though? I left in 97. Jesters was a Turkey-shoot upto 97.

zaskar
    Free Member

I was on this plane chatting to a lady when she invited back to her hotel in Malyasia… Then the second plane we bump into each other again but this time exchange phone numbers.

Years later, delete her number as I never called… bump into her again while visiting sports centre last weekend. Holy crap Batman.

Sat next to a drug cartel guy who asked me to carry his cigs for him…no!
    and watched customs lead him away and then saw him on tv the next day.

Sat next my Managers son on airplane to New Zealand once -after he told me loads of funny stories and then went pale when I told him who I work for and where…lol (he kept on saying "please don't tell my Mum")

samuri
    Free Member

cyclenaut off've here (and from back in the gofar days) is now living with a mate who i met through cycling. she also turned out to be best mates with a mate of mine from uni, she was living in the states at the time as well so even more of a coincidence.

I went all the way to Denver and then we drove over to Boulder, and she wasn't around that day!! 😉

Mine, isn't so small world as a bit weird. I was working in Germany and bumped into a lady in the canteen who looked very familiar. I looked at her for a while (which was no problem as she was a bit of a looker) and eventually placed her as being at a party of a friends a few months before. I went over to her and said hello, and it all made sense, she was English, she had been at Steve's party, yes, ooh it's lonley being in a different country isn't it? Yada Yada.

So the relationship went on for a week or so and it was only on my last day that we found out we'd never really met before, we'd both been to *a* Steve's party a few months before but completely different ones.

br
    Free Member

On a late flight back from Belgium to Leeds a fair few years ago I was reading a HiFi mag. Got drinking and talking to the chap next to me, we discussed buying some new gear. Only turns out that he was Julian Richer, of Richer Sounds.

spacemonkey

About 7-8 years ago I got a call at 4am from a mate doing a project in Singapore – he was in a bar and had just bumped into one of our mates from College (1988-90). Tis indeed a small world at times.

Kit
    Free Member

I moved from Edinburgh into a house in Chorley 6 years ago and it transpired that my live-in landlord was on the same course at the same time as one my best mates back in Edinburgh. Both my mate and I agreed that my landlord was a ****! 😀

A long time ago my mum and dad and I were in Boston. My dad went off to get some food from a stall and discovered that the girl serving him was a student of his cousin in Sheffield.

I'm always bumping into people from Dumfries (home town), no matter how hard I try not to.

One of my aunts has shagged Ewan McGregor but that's more 'claim to fame' territory.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I went all the way to Denver and then we drove over to Boulder, and she wasn't around that day!!

you've lost me 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Small world’ is closed to new replies.