Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Small Frame MTB…
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

My wife is after a new bike. She’s got a spesh Myka(?), that weighs a tonne and has a crap coil fork (she’s so light the fork doesn’t do anything!). She’s 5’2″ as doesn’t do any aggresive riding at all, but will tackle rocky decents slowly.

She wants either, mega light and fast, of a full sus to help her over the rocky trails near us.

Budget is about £1000 for frame, fork and new wheels if the budget will allow, using bits from the Spesh (which then can be upgraded slowly over time).

I was looking at an SC superlight 29 in small on ebay, but we decided it would be too big… (then it sold anyway!)

Any shorter people have any advice on a decent frame?

The other option I’m considdering for her is a Light Bicycle carbon 29er frame (16″), and some carbon XC rims. I can then build the rims onto her shimano hubs with tubeless and she’ll have enough left for a set of solo air forks… The stem she has is short with a decent rise, so could be flipped for a 29er.

Anyone had an LB frame? Has it been ok?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

In true STW STYLE, My 5′ 4″ wife Loves her small (14″?) Inbred.

Could spec one nicely for £1k. Light wheel set, Rebas or similar air forks.

My wife’s has HOPE / XC717s, carbon post and bars, 2×9, Floats. Perfect for her.

tonyg2003

My wife rides a pimped Orange Diva. They come up for sale very occasionally second hand.

I’d suggest a lightweight air fork some lightweight parts and LB wheels for your wife’s Myka is the best way to go if it fits her well

grenosteve
    Free Member

^ This was the other option, but the frame really is bad…

I was also hoping for some good full sus 26er deals to be about, but no one seems to have anything!

CheesybeanZ

Mrsbeanz 5’2″ ish has a 14″ Orange five ,Ti 456 and her favorite at the moment is her salsa el mariachi 29er . she’s had – giant trance , SC superlight , 456 summer season , inbred and is demoing a T-129 in small next month. plenty of choice out there .

almightydutch
    Free Member

If she likes the frame shes got then I’d buy different components. Wheels, forks and crankset would be the first thing to change. It’d knock a shed load of weight off and be a much nicer bike to ride.

If she wants a full sus then I’d say a small Giant Anthem would be my recommendation as they are both light and have just enough travel to not suck up the pedal strokes too much.

jaymoid

Sounds like your wife is a lot like my girlfriend (in stature and riding style). I’ve had to change the coil in her forks but still they don’t compress enough. Recently someone described her as someone who has to take care on a windy day (awww!)

I’m still keeping my eye out for something cheap and light, there’s some good options in here that may help:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-xs-26er-ht-frame-for-the-smaller-lady-please

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’m not sure like is the correct word for the frame… Acceptable is closer…

I’m a bit nervous about upgrading the forks and bits, only for her to then struggle to upgrade the frame without needing new forks etc.. again…

HindlePie
    Free Member

My wife is selling her Orange 5 diva which is XS. She’s 5’5″ and I always thought the frame was a little cramped for her. E-mail in profile if you’re interested in buying.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bike frames are not so different these days other than Geometry, weight is the issue (As tonyG says) – new forks, chainset and decent set of properly made wheels will make the world of difference. You can then continue to shave weight with stems, handlebars, brakes, saddles etc.

My 12yo daughter rides a GT Chucker with RS Reba air, XT/Mavic wheels and SLX chainset/Deore brakes, light enough for her and the Geometry helps a lot.

grenosteve
    Free Member

This at CRC…

Could be a contender… I wouldn’t get the chance to build a bike up though! 🙁 😛

I’m not entirly sure a 16″ bike is small enough for her… I think thr myka is 13.5 or 14!

TiRed

Teen2 rides a Giant Talon 1W in XS. 26″ but a very nice ride. I’ve just had to buy a longer seatpost because he’s grown out of it and I’m not replacing that and the road bike at the same time!

XS frames seem to sell out regardless of flavour.

qwerty
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

Fit,fit,fit – please get a frame she fits…then faff with components / going faster…
    Mrs_oab is still rocking an XS / 12.5″ 2001 Cannondale F900sl, with headshock, hope minis, full XT etc. fast, light, comfy and fits really well (she being 5′ )

grenosteve
    Free Member

Hindle Pie – Member

My wife is selling her Orange 5 diva which is XS. She’s 5’5″ and I always thought the frame was a little cramped for her. E-mail in profile if you’re interested in buying.

Sent you an email!

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Commencal perhaps? They have some pretty good deals on last year’s models ATM. Small sizes are on the small size so will fit 5’2″

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=2352730

grenosteve
    Free Member

qwerty – Member

£800 for full bike http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/shop/factory/closeout/2014_diva_small_deep_purple2 and then £200 on a spa!

Good catch, I’ll show her that. Decent fork and big wheels should help her on the rough stuff.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Other half is 5’3″ and has a 15″ 853 Dialled PA with either an air Rev or a Fox Van with soft spring (which will be going back on once I get the bushes replaced).

She doesn’t want a susser at the moment as she thinks she doesn’t ride enough to warrant one, but I’ve been tempted to surprise her with one of the 14″ Five Divas that occasionally pop up on here.

tonyg2003

MrsG didn’t want a full sus until I bought her Five Diva for her without telling her. Now she won’t ride her HT. She is pretty damn quick downhill on the Five now.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

XS yeti 575 26″ if you can find one.. Its spot on

grenosteve
    Free Member

Thanks to Qwerty,

Orange Diva ordered direct from Orange. 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Small Frame MTB…’ is closed to new replies.