Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SLX vs XTR cranksets
  • thebone
    Free Member

Upgrading my cranks and bottom bracket (currently have Truvativ Stylo Team thats pretty mashed).
    Are the XTR really worth the extra cash over SLX (weight not really an issue), never had XTR cranks so just after opinions… oh and should I be thinking about 3rd party BB or are the Shimano ok?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Sorry but what is the weight difference?

thebone
    Free Member

770g v 889g but like i said weight not really an issue

cynic-al
    Free Member

you won’t feel any difference.

Nobby

I’ve been running SLX on my latest bike mainly because I ran out of cash on the build. I have to say, whilst they’re not as light or ‘bling’ as XTR the shifting has been faultless & they’re stiffer than my old XT’s. BB seems to be holding up too despite a wet & muddy winter.

momo

Save the money, and buy the SLX. The standard shimano BB will be fine (better than most of the aftermarket ones IMO)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

A lot of the price and weight difference is accounted for in the chainrings which just wear out anyway. The XTR ones are made of carbon fibre and titanium.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

not sure about the costs on SLX but replacement of XTR chain rings is a bit of a choker when the time comes

clubber
    Free Member

SLX – for the difference in price you could save the weight in other ways (lighter tyres, stem, seatpost, etc) and still have change.

smurf
    Free Member

You could look for a set of the 07 / 08 XTR crankset i.e not the latest. I picked up a new one a while ago for not a lot.

smurf

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

I would go for SLX – I think they look nicer (being cheaper is also a bonus) – especially if you aren’t a weight watcher…

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Try getting some old stock XT ones. I think there great and hve never had any trouble with them. I got my last set for smarties compared to XTR prices. I would go for an SLX though, MY mate had XTR and I really dont see anything special apart from a bit of weight and bling. The XTR cranks have always seemed to look well worn after a few months.

moremudplease
    Free Member

got slx on giant alliance,xtr on carbon c1,yep there is a difference,stiffer,lightr and bling,bling,bling

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

there a bit lighter, better lasting rings, bit more bling.

why not get xt?

Guilliano
    Free Member

I’d go for SLX unless you have money to burn. For a £300 difference you get chainrings that probably last 20% less time, are cheaper to replace, shifting performance equal to XT and as Shimano themselves say…. they are 100% stiffer and stronger than XT for very little weight penalty. Probably the best value chainset on the market with really good BB bearings (second only to Hope in durability).

zaskar
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother unless you have deep pockets as new XTR will be out next year…

If money no probs then go xtr!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

my xtr’s rings are still ok after near enough 2 years.

coogan
    Free Member

Get SLX, XTR is an utter rip off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they are 100% stiffer and stronger than XT for very little weight penalty

quote from dirt not so long ago, “remember if its 28.7% stronger/stiffer/lighter/more powerfull its also 28.7% less likely to be verifiabe in any accuate and meaningfull scientific test “

And where’s this 100% stiffer figure come from, I’ll be honest and say the only place i’ve ever seen it is STW, not wanting to cast aspersions on other peoples knowlage but dont you think shimano would

A) shout about this as selling point
    B) use whatever alchemy makes them stiffer on XT and XTR?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

my xtr’s rings are still ok after near enough 2 years.

you should prolly ride more LOL

devs
    Free Member

And where’s this 100% stiffer figure come from, I’ll be honest and say the only place i’ve ever seen it is STW, not wanting to cast aspersions on other peoples knowlage but dont you think shimano would

Erm, here?

58 quid when I bought them in Oct 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ahhh stronger, not stiffer!

obviously your all so ganrly you snap XT cranks in half………………

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

crotchrocket, i race all summer at scottish and british events, and ride the bike midweek/weekends where not racing.
    and winter riding too.

i don’t need to ride more, they’ve just lasted well.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes my XTR rings always lasted well, my middle and big did 2 years, before I changed to something else and I didn’t have the granny fitted. Us racers spend more time on the big ring, wears the rings out less 🙂

I’d struggle to justify XTR at current prices, why not XT though, as suggested?

New XTR in 2011 by my reckoning, 4 year intervals, 1999, 2003, 2007…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SLX vs XTR cranksets’ is closed to new replies.