Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • slowcookertrackworld – what size to purchase?
  • spawnofyorkshire

I’m trying to decide between a 3.5L and a 6L slow cooker

The 6L appeals because i could slow cook joints of meat in it, but it does seem overkill unless i’m doing a big batch of something

What size does anyone else have and how many are you feeding using it?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

3.5L and it makes loads, all veggie stuff, but the output feeds 4 inc 2 teenage lads. If we could get a 6L in the kitchen I’d go for that and stock the freezer with the surplus.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Got a 6L on the go today to feed 2 adults and 2 kids, will use at the weekend to feed 5 adults 2 kids. the big one will easily cope with dinner for 4 just scale back or freeze the excess.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I used to have a 6L (I think), so that we could cook a joint, or whole chicken. However we never actually used it for that in the end. For me a chicken or joint is better roasted in the traditional way… However we did regularly feed five, and there was always a couple of portions spare for lunch the next day (guess you would easily feed 6 adults). We generally did stews or currys, and cooked the potato / pasta separately

I now have a 1.5L cooker which is great, I use it most days, just chuck something in before work. Even just put sausages, beans and potatoes in last week… yummmm the ultimate comfort food ready and waiting for you 🙂 That feeds two quite happily.

TooTall
    Free Member

The BIGGEST one possible! If you only want to cook a half load, you cook a half load. If you have a smaller one you’ll just want a bigger one after a few months.
    I used to cook big batches and freeze the rest, or make things like veg soup and that would be lunch at work for a week. They are great for that.

spawnofyorkshire

Thanks folks
    I’m going with the 3.5L as it’s predominately going to be for me but can feed more if required
    I’m looking forward to some of the curries i’ll be making in it

jamiea
    Free Member

Anyone got any decent recipes? The missus can be a bit fussy and doesn’t like ‘wet meat’, the precise definition I’ve yet to understand 😕 Tried a couple of dishes last year, a joint of pork in red wine was good, but didn’t get her approval! Any good veg and bean type stews I should try?

We’ve got a 3.5 litre one BTW, big enough for us (2 adults and a toddler)

Cheers,
    Jamie

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone got recommendations for a slow cooker? Or are they all much of a muchness other than size?

dannybgoode

we’ve got one a bit like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-48762-Partition-Polished/dp/B007RDFFXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380192517&sr=8-1&keywords=partitioned+slow+cooker

best of both worlds and allows you to cook 2 different dishes at once…

jamiea
    Free Member

We brought a Morphy Richards one, does the job!

Cheers,
    Jamie

spawnofyorkshire

That’s the one i’m getting Jamie, glad to hear it’s ok

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ours is out of the Ark (bought for me when I graduated in 86) but with this book it works a treat: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Vegetarian-Slow-Cooker-Recipes/dp/0778801047

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Just bought a 3.5l from Argos (£12) to replace the 6l one I was given. Fed me and my boys (16 and 11) easily with a beef stew.
    The 6l was way too big and I don’t have a freezer. The 6l one, potentially, can use 60% more power.

flowerpower
    Free Member

@ Jamie
    I have discovered supermarket ‘slow cooker mixes’ just a sachet of powder which is kind of against the ethos of using using the slow cooker 😕 … but they are good for quick and easy flavour. They must have some thickener in as they also get around the ‘wet’ issue and make a thicker ‘sauce’.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I make a Chilli or stew in mine on Sunday night and It does my lunches all week at work.
    Just take it in a big tub on Monday and leave in the fridge, cycle in the rest of the week so no need to carry anything

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I’m actually not a slow cooker fan. perhaps I didn’t use it right but mine never cooked the veg enough even when left all day.

I got a pressure cooker and I love it – cheaper cuts of meat, stews, cooking dried pulses, chilli, bolognese etc….seems to cook stuff better and nicer flavour.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘slowcookertrackworld – what size to purchase?’ is closed to new replies.