Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)
  • slow hand clap for Boris
  • molgrips
    Free Member

No you cant

You’ve no idea!

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Those with road savvy know that earphones won’t hinder them.

Those that think conforming to the rules of the road, dressing like a christmas tree and wearing a helmet will see them safe are deluded.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about savvy people who also wear a helmet and high viz and follow the rules?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

The first two won’t get you into any trouble, following the rules might get you killed.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you were a savvy cyclist you’d know what a silly statement that was.

You have to ride well within the rules. There’s a lot that the rules don’t cover, it’s called cycle craft.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Riding well within the rules gets naive well meaning people killed.

ollie51
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhfRfLQ85Q&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcKhfRfLQ85Q&app=desktop[/video]

Here’s Boris being nonchalant and a downright insensitive moron.

asterix
    Free Member

I can….

No you cant[/quote]

No you cant

You’ve no idea![/quote]

hmmm…. maybe time to give up on this thread?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I wear earphones and wont change that – I feel obeying the highway code and observations are the way forward . . . If you doubt this try riding a motorbike for a while, nothing beats proper observations. And with some of the quiet engines about/pedestrians and other cyclist I wouldnt trust I was going to hear them all anyway earphones or not.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I can. Maybe you need more practice using your ears? I suspect you would be able to tell, to be honest.

Fair enough. Can you explain the differences in terms of noise?

fasthaggis

I can. Maybe you need more practice using your ears?

Stop the thread right there.
    Nothing is going to beat that.

Like ,eva 😯

D0NK

I can. Maybe you need more practice using your ears?

how many times has someone ploughed into the back of you? I presume you have had it happen otherwise how do you know what it sounds like?

molgrips
    Free Member

I can tell when someone’s going to pass close and when they’re going to pass further away.

I’ve got two ears, so I have a fairly good idea of where sounds are coming from. It’s called stereophonic sound.

If a sound is close, but still directly behind me, then it’s going to be close. If it moves out towards my right then it’s going to pass.

Can you honestly not locate sounds that are behind you?

We have this argument every time headphone use comes up, and I do wonder if some people just naturally aren’t very good at sound location.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

molgrips is sheldon being the doppler shift – do i get a fiver?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Wriggle wriggle wriggle.

crosshair
    Free Member

If they ban headphones for cyclists on distraction grounds, then ALL in car entertainment and conversations should be banned for drivers too.

If they ban headphones on safety grounds then they should ban deaf people from cycling and ban cycling on really windy days.

Of course they should do neither and allow people the personal choice. It amazes me how quickly people are happy to throw away their freedom on these threads.
    How about just passing one more law to make it an offence to not use your common sense!!!

Fwiw, I cycle all summer with dance music blaring from my earbuds and I can still hear cars approaching from behind.

RichPenny
    Free Member

f a sound is close, but still directly behind me, then it’s going to be close. If it moves out towards my right then it’s going to pass.

No, personally I don’t think I could locate a cars position accurately to within a foot or so over wind noise. What do you do if you think it’s going to be close? Most of the overtakes I see when driving I would consider to be close.

molgrips
    Free Member

Every time I’ve used headphones, quite a few times (a few tries on road then on the outdoor track mostly), they’ve made so much noise just from wind that I’ve had to turn up the music loud. Even without any music on the noise is still loud. Tried four or five sets of headphones.

It’s not just the position of the car, it’s the sound too. I can recognise a truck or a bus, which causes me to check my position and theirs; I can also recognise a boy racer gunning it which also makes me look round and check they’ve seen me. If I feel like someone’s not seen me I’ll hug the kerb or take evasive action.

I don’t consider most overtakes to be too close. Most are ok.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

agree with Boris. I think riding in town with headphones is crazy. I tried it on a cyclepath once just to see if it was ok like, and 10 metres later failed to hear a car coming from a crossing car park entrance. Saw the car ok, but would have heard it 5 seconds earlier without, which probably equates to 20 metres at a low car speed.

mjsmke

I also agree with Boris. He’s trying to make it a safer place for cyclists. Sure there lots of other things that can be done but somethings better than nothing.

Im quite surprised at how many people think they are ‘hot shot’ riders who don’t need their hearing to aid their own safety. It’s just as bad as a boy reader who thinks he doesn’t need to obey the speed limit to be safe.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The small on-ear phones I use don’t stop me hearing/sensing traffic. Doesn’t stop me sensing any of the tyres of vehicle mol grips lists but I’m still at a loss as how, if there is a constant stream of cars passing me, how I’m meant to detect the one that’s 30cm further left and what I’d be able to do if it was.

This really is just another irrelevant thing to beat each other up about whilst we ignore the real issues. It’s just another form of victim blaming. If you think music is dangerously distracting start campaigning for it to be banned from motor vehicles as they’re the ones doing the damage. – no-one suggested dealing with deaths of pedestrians caused by drunk motorists by banning pedestrians from drinking

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

in london, and it is only a mentioned idea to do this in central london, I think riding with earphones is just dumb, there are so many cars/lorrys/motorbikes coming at you from many directions full awareness all around is pretty essential. I can hear / sense behind me as vehicles approach and on the whole can sense how close they are going to be, how fast they are and have an idea what they might do. In central london its an essential one of the senses that help survival.

I can see in less busy cities or on trails it might be less important but come and ride along the embankment/parliament square with headphones on, youre a braver man than me if you do it with headphones on in a busy rush hour.

deadkenny
    Free Member

ollie51 – Member

I’d heard about this earlier on the news portraying Boris as the moron, but seeing that in full I think Jenny Jones was just getting uptight and in a rant, not listening to Boris and seeing insults where there were none… except at the end when Boris did insult her, in a hilarious way 😀

Seriously though, while Boris has shifted the focus to the cyclist, he’s bang on here. He’s still saying that HGVs are a prime issue to sort out but he’s dead right that cyclists have a duty also. To just (as Jenny says) treat the cyclist as pure victim, is wrong. In these 6 cases recently however, who knows until we have all the facts, but there are many who could avoid being run over by HGVs.

Myself, I only ride off road, but even if I was on road, it would be insane to ride up the inside of an HGV at a junction, whether it’s their fault if they hit you or not (by not looking in their blind spot where they can’t see you 😉 ). Just don’t put yourself in harms way.

The cycle routes are a big problem sure. That’s one you can rant at Boris about, though sounds like he’s doing something about it. Yes it might help more if HGVs were banned at busy times though, but then don’t come moaning when deliveries are being delayed, bearing in mind the HGVs are banned from driving overnight in London.

Headphones – up to you, but I’d rather hear the dangers around me. The purpose of headphones is to take you out of the hassles of the world around. That’s why I use them at work 😉 . Not really what you want on the road though when those hassles are also dangers you need to pay attention to.

I see many off road with headphones too. Not an issue there, but I don’t get it. I ride out in the countryside to get away from it all. Why would you want to get away from the nice countryside environment with headphones? Ah well, each to their own.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

in london, and it is only a mentioned idea to do this in central london, I think riding with earphones is just dumb,

I don’t know if you ride there but my feeling is the opposite. On my daily commute, which i’ve been riding for years, I know all the danger spots. I already know where someone might try to sneak inside/outside where the pinch points are, the timing of the light sequences. The best lines through a corner or junction. I probably know every point at which i need to look behind. A bit of background music or speech radio is fine.

I’d not do it on a route I didn’t know well, or on fast moving A roads outside town and I don’t enjoy riding with music off road (or skiing for that matter).

Guardian piece from today – don’t blame the victims

“the policeman in charge of traffic enforcement in London, DCS Glyn Jones, had cyclists without helmets stopped by police, saying, “the more vulnerable you are, the more careful you need to be”. According to this logic the five-year-old child killed outside his primary school on St George’s Road in south London a year ago – and whose father showed me the carrier bag that held the clothes he died in – should have been paying more attention than the drivers whizzing by on a three-lane red route at 3.30pm.”

“But is it useful to connect the women lambasted for “risky” behaviour such as getting drunk, wearing tiny skirts or walking the streets after dark, with the cyclists attacked for “risky” behaviour such as not wearing a helmet and fluorescent jacket, or cycling without lights? Or to link both to other examples of (relatively) powerless groups accused of authoring their own failure, such as the poor and obese blamed for eating the wrong food? Or the black state school pupils who choose not to apply to Oxbridge?

I think so. Victim-blaming is a useful concept, because it helps us see that what happens when a victim is blamed is that a culprit – whether an individual, institution, or set of practices – is let off. Why so many people, including women and cyclists, collude in this is not mysterious: it is so much more comfortable to think that the poor bloke killed on his bike last week was an idiot; that the teenage girl gang-raped at a party was a slut. So much more comfortable not to focus on the fact that, if you drive a machine made of a ton of metal down the road, banging into a person and killing them is an occupational hazard.”

D0NK

I also agree with Boris. He’s trying to make it a safer place for cyclists. Sure there lots of other things that can be done but somethings better than nothing.

so shifting the blame firmly over to the cyclists deftly sidestepping criticism of some of his crappier cycle lanes and trying to make everyone forget about HGVs mixing it up with the general public is better than nothing? Hmm I will politely disagree.

D0NK

In central london its an essential one of the senses that help survival.

essential in your opinion so anyone one with hearing difficulties shouldn’t ride in london then? Or are you one of those with the opinion deaf people get spidey senses? Also if it’s so dangerous not to hear stuff what about car radios we gonna ban them or is the fact they are in a tin box mean they don’t have to give a shit?

Riding through traffic oblivious to your surroundings is a bad move. Riding through traffic with earphones in or hearing difficulties is not necessarily bad. And victim blaming, which is what Boris is doing, most definitely IS bad.

soobalias
    Free Member

i would happily put my point to boris given the chance
    i wouldnt bother to continue the conversation with moltroll tho.

D0NK

I can tell when someone’s going to pass close and when they’re going to pass further away.

you specified about to plough into you which is what I asked about – pedantry I know.

Can you honestly not locate sounds that are behind you?

yes I can – I can also do that on the occasions I wear headphones 🙂

Every time I’ve used headphones, quite a few times (a few tries on road then on the outdoor track mostly), they’ve made so much noise just from wind

have you not noticed this from helmets too? WHen I switched from bareheaded bonce to (almost) full time helmeted cyclist I was a bit put out by the wind noise*. Maybe we should ban helmets too

that I’ve had to turn up the music loud

ah that could be classed as user error.

*presumably your mileage will vary between helmet designs

agent007
    Free Member

I’m with Boris here (and Molgrips to some extent). On my drive (and sometimes cycle) into the office I see bad examples of cycling all over the place. Jumping of red lights, riders wearing headphones who are seemingly oblivious to their surroundings, no helmets, undertaking of buses, vans and lorries, riding right alongside vehicles turning right or left etc.

That’s not to say that drivers are any better – there’s just as many god awful drivers on the road too, but the fact is, in a collision between a car and bike, then the cyclist is always going to come off worse.

Yes there should be segregated and better cycle lanes but at the moment there’s not – therefore at present it’s in the cyclists best interest for them to remain as alert and aware of their surroundings as possible and that includes not wearing earphones, which whether you like it of not are a distraction and make you less aware of what’s going on around you.

Talk of banning people from listening to radio’s in a car is irrelevant since car drivers rely almost entirely on visual information to drive rather than listening out for other traffic. Motorists also have mirrors to see whats going on behind them at all times.

Boris is merely stating that cyclists have an obligation to cycle well, and to look out for themselves (of which not wearing headphones is just a part of this).

D0NK

Talk of banning people from listening to radio’s in a car is irrelevant since car drivers rely almost entirely on visual information to drive rather than listening out for other traffic.

sorry I forgot to mention banning soundproofing in cars aswell. So one road user has to use every sense going but people inside a metal cage can manage on one. This is basically the argument “you’re the soft squishy one who will die so it’s your lookout to make sure you dodge the cars and if you can’t dodge them then tough shit”. (BTW if we get to the point where motorvehicles aren’t causing the majority of the accidents and it’s proven that cyclists are blindly deafly throwing themselves infront of traffic then yeah lets have this discussion again and I’ll back you up)

Motorists also have mirrors to see whats going on behind them at all times.

apart from their blind spots of course which depending on your vehicle can be fahunting massive. Besides cyclists have the necks which can enable them to turn their heads to give a 360 degree panoramic view without door pillars, darkened glass seatbelt units, headrests etc etc.

For the rest of the “I see cyclists do X” arguments have a read of this

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Deadkenny +1 spot on

(we really shouldn’t find that clip funny though, but it is. I have watched it 3 times now!!!)

Lifer
    Free Member

It’s all conjecture though, unless you anti-headphones chaps have figures that not even Boris has re rates of injury between headphone/non-headphone wearers?

deadkenny – Member
    I’d heard about this earlier on the news portraying Boris as the moron, but seeing that in full I think Jenny Jones was just getting uptight and in a rant, not listening to Boris and seeing insults where there were none… except at the end when Boris did insult her, in a hilarious way

Really? He didn’t answer the question, usual obsfucation when confronted with his own figures on KSI showing cycling in London is getting more dangerous, then started attacking her personally because there was no defence.

And her riposte at the end was much funnier.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Last night I was waiting on the crossing at Hyde park corner around 5.45pm. The lights had just turned red so had I a final look before crossing. I white van was going really fast, I knew he had no intention of stopping. Luckily everyone else was looking too. I remember reading the number plate and then thinking, whats the point, I’ll be wasting my time. When I turned the corner onto Sloane street there were 2 cops with a cyclist. I lost it (a bit) and told them what I thought. They told me to wait until they had finished with the cyclist (who had probably done the same thing as the white van but about 30 MPH slower). This happens all day long in London, buses, lorries and taxis.

allthepies
    Free Member

Jeez, Jenny Jones is annoying. BoJo was very restrained when confronted with her bickering IMO.

kimbers

jenny jones is very good, shes done soem ecellent workg to get Borris the master of BS to come clean on his closing of pollution monitoring stations and the numerous pollution alerts hes tried to cover up

cant believe people are still guillable enough to fall for borris’ toussel-haired loveable character routine

and impressed about him making japes when it comes to cyclists deaths?!?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

…are a distraction [for cyclists] and make you less aware of what’s going on around you.

Talk of banning people from listening to radio’s in a car is irrelevant since car drivers rely almost entirely on visual information…

So music is distracting for cyclists but not for drivers? How does that work then?

Why does background music make one group less aware of what’s going on around them and not the other?

Lifer
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    Jeez, Jenny Jones is annoying. BoJo was very restrained when confronted with her bickering IMO.

What part was ‘bickering’?

asterix
    Free Member

cant believe people are still guillable enough to fall for borris’ toussel-haired loveable character routine

+1, he hasn’t got much else really. He never answers a direct question if the answer is politically difficult for him

dragon
    Free Member

So music is distracting for cyclists but not for drivers? How does that work then?

It’s completely different, in a car you aren’t being constantly overtaken, you aren’t likely to have anyone turn left on you and even if it does happen you are in a metal box with protection.

The cold facts are that consequence of being hit while cycling is far greater than in a car, so as the cyclist you need to do all you can to minimise the probability of being hit. If you can’t hear due to music, then you are increasing that chance, because you are less aware of your surroundings.

D0NK

The cold facts are that consequence of being hit while cycling is far greater than in a car, so as the cyclist you need to do all you can to minimise the probability of being hit.

and that there is a pretty concise example of victim blaming

and the rest of your post seems to be specifically concerned with “left hooks” which are motorists fault. Yeah this is a bad thing that motorists do but the cyclist is the one who will get hurt. Hmmm what to do….?
    I know lets make sure it’s up to the cyclist to avoid the situation.
    Slow hand clap for you too then.

Ban cyclists wearing headphones there will be no real downturn in cycling injuries, same is probably true for compulsive helmet use. Actually stop vehicle hitting cyclists and you will get a massive downturn. So that’ll involve either suddenly improving everyone’s driving or segregation

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)

The topic ‘slow hand clap for Boris’ is closed to new replies.