Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ‘Slingshot Bikes’
  • stumpytrek
    Free Member

Eh????

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Welcome to MTB’ing & the internet.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sh*t idea back then. If thats a ‘new’ frame (which judging by disc mounts, I assume it is) then its a sh*t idea x 100000000000000000.

MtbCol
    Free Member

Christ, I thought those had died a death long ago along with the Tioga disc wheel 😯

brakes
    Free Member

This difference is achieved as pedal energy is stored in the spring compression – then released at the “dead” portion of the pedal stroke, effectively increasing the length of the power stroke. Any energy not going directly to the rear wheel (forward power) is momentarily stored, returning 100% in the “dead” portion of the power stroke.

eh?

shoefiti
    Free Member

Eh!

Oggles
    Free Member

I can imagine that the spring is absorbing some pedal energy through its compression like any other suspension system. But I can’t work out how this is being transferred to the rear wheel during the dead portion of pedal stroke as the marketing bull implies. (doesn’t state this though does it!) Surely if all the energy being transferred to the back wheel goes through the chain, how does this ‘stored energy’ get there during the dead portion of your pedal stroke? Any armchair engineers fancy explaining it?

EH!

dyna-ti

A modern slingshot,who’d have believed that 😆
    Classic looking bike though.
    Mind you,ive hear biopace is also making a comeback,though they’ve renamed it

RealMan
    Free Member
    duntmatter
    Free Member

So it flexes a bit. Wow. 😐

nickc

The only real world issues that they suffer from is that unbelievably they’re pretty damned heavy….

Nice comfy compliant ride, for normal “big circle in the woods” type riding.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’d love one.

lovewookie

I’ve ridden one of the old slingshot MTB’s, kinda odd feeling, but that was me coming from a fully rigid bike, so anything other than that felt pretty odd.

I did own the slingshot BMX, that was great! Preload on the start gate and fire out as soon as it drops. Unfortunately my legs back then weren’t that quick so I had difficulty keeping the speed up! Ok, I was just a bit rubbish on a BMX race track despite getting a good gate.

Didn’t notice any other advantage with the BMX, it was interesting to get used to the compression in the jumps, and lifting the front wheel over speed jumps required finesse.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘‘Slingshot Bikes’’ is closed to new replies.