Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Slimy patio – does it need a power washer?
  • cinnamon_girl

Suspect it hasn’t been cleaned for donkey’s years and it’s actually quite slippery. Would I be better off buying a power washer or would a stiff brush be able to cope?

As always, thank you so much. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bleach.

cinnamon_girl

Elf – it’s ingrained.

hs125
    Free Member

bleach and a broom

crazy-legs

Jeyes fluid and a stiff brush. And some elbow grease. 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Good old Jeyes fluid

EDIT: beat me to it

BlobOnAStick

Jeyes fluid and a brush

Pressure washer would work but it can be rough on the slabs and doesn’t prevent re-growth.

chorlton
    Free Member

I use industrial bleach, mix it half and half with water and put it on with a garden pump sprayer. Give it a scrub with stiff sweeping brush then rinse after 30 mins if you want to walk on it. Better and quicker than power wash which breaks up the pointing.

cinnamon_girl

Elbow grease? With a shoulder separation? Oh well, I do have one good side so shall get busy with the Jeyes.

Thanks for the replies. 🙂

supertacky
    Free Member

I put salt/grit down during the last big freeze. Once the thaw came I brushed the reminants off the patio. Surprised to see how clean it had made it, killing off all the green stuff.

GRAEMEJONES

Sharp sand works well, sprinkle some across the offending area, then use the stiff brush to sweep it up.Think of it as a bit like rubbing your Patio down with sandpaper 🙂

project
    Free Member

Sharp sand the dry sort thats used in childrends sand pits, sprinkle thinly then with a watering can full of strong bleach, soak well leave overnight.The sand keeps the bleach in place.

Keep animals inside.

Then a rough brush and plenty of water, wear wwellies as the bleach makes your jeans holey and spotted.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Once removed is there anyway of preventing it coming back as this is a reoccurring event for myself too.

project
    Free Member

clear sealant like thompsons water seal.

footflaps

I use a jet wash, messy and tedious but gets it spotless – although the mold / moss just grows back slowly….

Hohum
    Free Member

Power washer with one of those patio-specific attachments. They really do work well.

They stop you getting soaked and it allows you to get your patio cleaned up a lot quicker.

TiRed

Power washer and brush is the right tool. Bought one specially to cleanup ours before selling. Worked a treat.

Hohum
    Free Member

This Nilfisk jobby will sort you out:

Nilfisk

only £56.99 at the moment from Amazon as well 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat as C_G too (hope you don’t mind the mini hijack).

I have the pressure washer with the patio attachment (which makes the world of difference to the time it takes) but regrowth is an issue here too. I’ve got some ranom patio cleaner stuff but stupidly only read the instructions / warnings after I’d bought it…

The problem I have in using any of the bleach / cleaner fluids is the proximity of the lawn – the patio runs off to there. Anything a bit more eco friendly? Stupid question probably… I might try the sharp sand option coupled to elbow grease.

Cheers.

Hohum
    Free Member

Try using a product called “Patio Magic”.

It’s pretty good stuff. However, if your patio is in the shade at this time of year then whatever you use is going to struggle to stop the slime coming back.

gonetothehills – I have used Patio Magic in my back garden and my slabs butt up to the lawn and I have had no problems with it.

footflaps

I found that round Patio attachment was next to useless and had to use the needle jet to clean the paviers, hence a slow and tedious job as my Patio has over 2000 off them to clean!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks Ho hum – will have a look for it. You’re spot on about the shade – it’s exactly the issue. There are parts of our garden that don’t see sun at all at this time of year, and that’s where it’s worst. Oh, and the fact we’re tucked under the hills too… Still – that has its benefits in other ways 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Slimy patio – does it need a power washer?’ is closed to new replies.