Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Slightly weird buyer from here…
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’m now starting to feel weirded out. Selling a set of cranks to a user on here, wants to pay via bank transfer .. All cool. Asked for my address details, and now… My ‘full’ name.

Now, I’ve never needed to get the name correct for a bank transfer.

Anyone dealt with bmh25 before?

May well be a perfectly good buyer, it just feels a bit odd.

Cheers

Ricks

windydave13
    Free Member

I don’t even know your full name!!

aracer
    Free Member

Why would you have a problem providing that info? It’s the sort of thing easily available to anybody you pay by cheque.

scotroutes

It’s the sort of thing asked for on bank transfer requests. I can’t see what the issue is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/jan/07/personalfinancenews.scamsandfraud

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has admitted he was wrong to brand the scandal of lost CDs containing the personal data of millions of Britons a “storm in a teacup” after falling victim to an internet scam.

The outspoken star printed his bank details in a newspaper to try and make the point that his money would be safe and that the spectre of identity theft was a sham.

He also gave instructions on how to find his address on the electoral roll and details about the car he drives.

However, in a rare moment of humility Clarkson has now revealed the stunt backfired and his details were used to set up a £500 direct debit payable from his account to the British Diabetic Association.

The charity is one of many organisations that do not need a signature to set up a direct debit.
    Just saying like….

Edit

It’s the sort of thing easily available to anybody you pay by cheque.

Tries to remember the last time I wrote a cheque…

ctk
    Free Member

Full name fine, address no need but I guess he wants to know where you live just in case

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Had the same request a few days ago. Don’t think it was the same user. Seems all ok so far.

jimw
    Free Member

As you have asked for bank transfer, it is perhaps a bit of an insurance policy for them in case the goods don’t arrive?
    ( no offence intended)

I am not sure if it helps in the above scenario anyway.

scaredypants

In theory a bank can check that your account number as keyed in by your buyer actually matches the name on the account, making accidental payment to the wrong account less likely

I say in theory because I’m sure thetre have been reports of banks not bothering their arses over this and instead paying an account with another name entirely

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rickon
    Free Member

As you have asked for bank transfer, it is perhaps a bit of an insurance policy for them in case the goods don’t arrive?

Not me, I prefer PayPal.

In theory a bank can check that your account number

Very much doubt they do, due to the high chance of incorrect spelling. Just a match on the sort code and account is more likely.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is he Nigerian? Do you ever bother to check?

Northwind

scaredypants – Member

In theory a bank can check that your account number as keyed in by your buyer actually matches the name on the account, making accidental payment to the wrong account less likely

In practice, happens so rarely it might as well be never. It’d be pretty useless tbh, since there’s lots of reasons you might have differences in name. Spelling, marriage, people who use variations. Also the BACS name field is only 18 characters so lots would be clipped off.

But, their bank is likely to ask for a name if he’s using internet banking etc so there’s nothing weird about asking you for it.

rickon
    Free Member

But, their bank is likely to ask for a name if he’s using internet banking etc so there’s nothing weird about asking you for it.

Apart from its in my email 🙂

Poopscoop

If it helps, Ive paid for many PC parts on another forum by bank TX and routinely asked for the sellers details including their name.

“Back in the day” when I used to even go to their bank (a branch local to me) to expedite the payment Im pretty sure the form I used to have to fill in asked for their name too, dependent upon bank.

I wouldn’t be worried to be honest mate.

That said, its always good to be prudent by default so asking for opinions/ advice is never a bad thing.

timba
    Free Member

If you’re not sure, use the name as shown on your cheques / debit card, e.g. Mr R. I. Ckon, no more info than is already out there

bearnecessities

Just for info on regarding what verification can take place in in transactions, you’d be surprised!

Google ‘bank wizard absolute’ if you’re bored.

spooky_b329

Your name may be on your email, but the bank/online banking will ask for the name on the account…

John Smith
    Mr John Smith
    Jonathan Smith
    J Smith
    J A Smith
    Mr J Smith
    Mr & Mrs Smith

Etc etc. I’m sure it doesn’t need be exactly as per but the field implies it does.

convert

This bloke is about to transfer money into your account and what to know who you are and where you live before he does it – just in case you don’t bother to send the goods after he transfers the money. I’m not entirely sure why you would find that odd.

boxelder

Some might say that it’s slightly weird thinking that someone who is entrusting money to you, is trying to scam you, because they asked for your name and address.

Andy-R

Maybe now that you’ve described him as “slightly weird” he’ll decide not to bother buying anything from you?

panzerjager
    Free Member

My bank is UBS, they want recipients name & address, bank’s full address plus the IBAN.
    I then have to log out, log back in again, then jump through some more security hoops in order to send the money.
    More banks are beginning to add extra info & security, I was told by UBS that this is needed to prevent money laundering & illegal payments.
    It got to a stage where I felt quite embarrassed asking for these, so finally gave up & used Paypal.

Just so you know I though, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything is dodgy.

benpinnick

The requirement for data is surely less about money laundering & fraud and more about idiots that cant type numbers in properly. Having the name and address of both recipient and bank means that when the payment can’t be made/goes to the wrong place someone has a record of what you thought _should_ have happened.

cokie

I always ask for a full name. Firstly it allows me to know who I’m actually dealing with and secondly my bank makes me. No one has ever complained when I’ve asked.

freddyblack
    Free Member

In these situations, I use a savings account for accepting payments. I do this because I believe taking money out via direct debit should not be possible.

CheesybeanZ

^^^ doesn’t it take longer for funds to clear in a savings account ? If you use PayPal you both get each others name and address .

Northwind

CheesybeanZ – Member

^^^ doesn’t it take longer for funds to clear in a savings account ? If you use PayPal you both get each others name and address .

It can do- but basically depends on the bank/institution.

Northwind

rickon – Member

Apart from its in my email

So your concern is that he’s asked for something which you think is so secret and private that you put it in your email?

rickon
    Free Member

Some might say that it’s slightly weird thinking that someone who is entrusting money to you, is trying to scam you, because they asked for your name and address.

Ive been selling *a lot* of stuff on here recently, and dealt with loads of people. This is the first time in all that time that someone’s asked me for my address and full name when when selling something.

It may well be perfectly normal, but my experiene, since 2009 I think, has informed me that this isn’t normal.

Anyway, seems like I’m worried about nothing, so its all fine. 🙂

wwaswas

Ive been selling *a lot* of stuff

weirdo.

SaxonRider

What exactly is a ‘bank transfer’, and why would anyone choose to pay/receive payment that way? I mean, it’s no longer 1993.

gonzy
    Free Member

i bought some forks off another STW user and paid via bank transfer. i needed the sellers full name as it was something my bank wanted as a reference…maybe also as a reference for the sellers bank so they can match the account number and name to make sure the money goes in the correct account.
    asking for your address seems a bit odd…but maybe its just in case he wants to send them back to you

matt_outandabout

There is only one thing for it. You need proof. Up to date, accurate proof only he and you could know was ‘right’, so proving who each other are.
    I suggest:

bmh25
    Free Member

I think out of respect you should wire my money back,don’t you?

Thanks a lot.

Edit
    Or at least contact me regarding your concerns before starting a thread about it,I told you my reason why ‘was in case the transfer goes ‘sour’.

Classy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we may have found the “buyer”

Biscuits anyone?

[fanstheflames]Given this thread I dont think respect is likely to follow

[/fanstheflames]

bmh25
    Free Member

Ok,common courtesy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

[reholsters pitchfork]TBH this is a discussion, like the points he has raised, that would be better done off line between the two of you[/reholsters pitchfork]

muzzle
    Free Member

Shh Junkyard, don’t spoil it ?

Andy-R

Andy R – Member
    Maybe now that you’ve described him as “slightly weird” he’ll decide not to bother buying anything from you?

POSTED 1 DAY AGO #

Just like I said then. 🙄

pop-larkin
    Free Member

So bmh25 are you a bit weird? I think that’s quite a good thing and would make you a lot more normal than many who post here

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Slightly weird buyer from here…’ is closed to new replies.