Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Slight overpackaging from CRC :)
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

When this came I thought they'd sent me a track pump by mistake:

and check out the quality of this drilling on the Hope mandrel:

Frankers
    Free Member

Looks fairly standard for a deepish drilled (non reamed) hole in mild steel to me

toys19
    Free Member

Why does it need to be any better quality? Cheap and fast it will not effect its use or quality.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, tis a normal quick deep drilling. Does it affect the product performance?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Looks fairly standard for a deepish drilled (non reamed) hole in mild steel to me

it's just in marked contrast to the outside which is satin polished and laser etched with the Hope logo. I know it doesn't matter as the bore just gives clearance to the axle. It looks as if they used a blunt 'drill'.

Does it affect the product performance?

neither does the high quality finishing on the outside…

angryratio
    Free Member

It's a handlebar box i think..
    useful size if ever you sell something on to someone.

jackal
    Free Member

Its just drilled for, as you say, clearance. No need to waste time/money getting a better surface finish.
    Btw, I received one of those pumps from crc last week, its a beast, well pleased with it 😀

angryratio
    Free Member

two of the lads in our group have the same pump..
    very effective bit of kit..

bigyinn
    Free Member

I suspect they dont have a box that fits the Topeak pump and a hope mandrel exactly, so the one you have was the nearest in size.
    You should have a look on the register and search for over packaging if you want to see how to do it properly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

neither does the high quality finishing on the outside…

You call that high quality?

You really shouldn't start threads if you don't know what you are talking about

ton

what is a mandrel

wwaswas

"You really shouldn't start threads if you don't know what you are talking about"

this is stw we're talkign about…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You call that high quality?

well, it seems I don't see the kind of bespoke engineering you're accustomed to, but I thought the outside looked quite neat for something I was going to belt repeatedly with a hammer 🙂

You really shouldn't start threads if you don't know what you are talking about

surely that would be setting a new precedant ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what is a mandrel

something like a tool for assembling things

wiki says "object used to shape machined work; a tool component that grips or clamps materials to be machined; or a tool component that can be used to grip other moving tool components."

in which case perhaps I should have called it a drift ?

alexpalacefan

"What is a mandrel"

Isn't it a monkey/ape with a brightly coloured face?

A

brant
    Free Member

This is a mandrill isn't it?

Dudie
    Free Member

I though it was a type of duck.

goog
    Free Member

lol

mjb

You should have a look on the register and search for over packaging if you want to see how to do it properly.

My particular favourite, puts CRC to shame…

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging/

brant
    Free Member
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My particular favourite, puts CRC to shame…

yes, I'd seen that one, and it is shocking 🙁

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I would call that a drift! How much was that "drift" mr barnes? That looks like a four year old with a hobby lathe could make it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

HOw much was that "drift" mr barnes?

£9.99 for the two 🙁 Shocking I know, but they do work far better than using a socket…

cynic-al
    Free Member

well, it seems I don't see the kind of bespoke engineering you're accustomed to, but I thought the outside looked quite neat for something I was going to belt repeatedly with a hammer

I'm guessing the laser/engraving doesn't cost much, the finish is otherwise "basic" IMO

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the finish is otherwise "basic" IMO

I'll take your word for that, however, the surface is ribbed for extra pleasure 🙂

cp

fairly practical manufacturing really – The outside diameter has been turned for a good size match foe the bearing (hard to buy steel bar exactly the right size, though it looks like they've got close – they've just 'cleaned up' the diameter). drill a hole through the middle for clearance, bob's your uncle. £10 quid end user price for two is pretty reasonable really.

cp

oh, and it looks like the laser marking was done quickly in a static position rather than rotating it to keep the laser focused – see the 's)' is barely visible at the end of 'bearings)', and the Hope logo is dark on the 'OP' of HOPE and gets lighter towards the edges… because the laser is going out of focus as the material drops away.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

because the laser is going out of focus as the material drops away.

I think that was the depth of field of the camera and reflection from the edges of the etching – on inspection the lettering is sharp all the way round

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Slight overpackaging from CRC :)’ is closed to new replies.