• This topic has 60 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Sliced bread. The best thing since…
  • Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Would be almost anything.

Why do we put up the appalling bread in the UK. Almost any bread, anywhere else, is better. 👿

z1ppy

You don’t have to buy tat, even if it is available, if some one sold human excrement, would you buy it cause it’s available?
    If you bothered to look, no doubt there a great local bakerys somewhere near you.

Or you could even make you own, it ain’t hard.

EDIT: Oh as for best thing.. ermm for me proper usable mobile internet devices (iphone & such like, not rubbish blackberries or crapola Nokia N series)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no doubt there a great local bakerys somewhere near you.

+1 even cooplands etc is pretty good

anyway, best thing since sliced bread, I’d go for the telephone.

crikey
    Free Member

Try your local Co-op. Seriously. Excellent French bread..

PiknMix
    Free Member

one of life’s little pleasures is eating fresh home made bread mmmmmmm

Having a bit of a problem getting fresh yeast at the moment though!

brakes
    Free Member

Almost any bread, anywhere else, is better

seriously?
    I think the choice of food in this country, including bread, is incredible.
    yes, to some extent that choice is to the detriment of quality, but if you look beyond your supermarket aisle…

derek_starship
    Free Member

We have German students as interns every year at out company. They, male and females cannot believe that we spend money on and then eat white sliced bread.

I however love a sandwich made from fresh Warby’s Toastie. But then, I’m not German.

khani
    Free Member

As above, make some, not bought any bread for six months now, homemade all the way and it’s gert lush!!!
    Started some sourdough a couple of months back and that’s even nicer 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’m getting a wiff of the middle class.

White sliced for a breakfast sarnie.

Brown for almost all other occasions.

Ciabatta for a bolognese and a toasty.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yep there is great bread available. But most isn’t. I’m in Bilbao at the moment. Most of the bread is crunchy and flavourful and a joy. And is eaten by all classes.

Compare what you get as a sandwich even at classier places in the UK with the things you get in France, Italy and Spain. About all you can say in favour of 90% of UK bread is that it is efficient to pack and lasts well.

binners

Oh dear god! Spare us another middle class whinefest. Its ‘orses for coarse’s innit

Some vegan, fairtrade, sundried tomato focaccia may all be well and good. Particularly if you’re called Tarquin and you’ve just called in to the deli on your way back from yoga.

Just get some of this:

stuff some of these between it

melt some of this on top

Then smother in this

NOW MTFU!!!!

fadass
    Free Member

Binners – ^ – sandwich heaven, i salute you!!!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Nope Binners. It’s about why our country is one where we have abandoned lots of the good cheap food which is not class linked anywhere else.

Bacon and brown sauce yes. But on something crusty ffs.

khani
    Free Member

It’s not about being middle class, it’s about not spending money on shit! 🙄
    I’m tight me you know, and I resent spending a quid upwards on a loaf of rubbish non breddy bread

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think the choice of food in this country, including bread, is incredible.

Indeed. 🙂

EDIT
    Mrs PPs sister came over (She’s living in Singapore) with an Australian friend. They took her to a big supermarket (Asda IIRC) and she was absolutely amazed by the place….

Junkyard
    Free Member

bread here is made by an industrial process and it tastes bland – it is about suspending air bubble sin dough tbh. Seriously you could squash the entire loaf all up into a small dough ball , it is just shite.
    It is not about class but about taste buds and valuing good food above crap food.
    I also make my own but I will buy unleavened bread

binners

Bacon and brown sauce yes. But on something crusty ffs.

I’m sorry but with that statement you’ve just identified yourself as clinically insane.

Tommy K on bacon butties. Brown sauce on sausage ones. Both on Warburtons bread. Everyone knows that

Hey…. I don’t make the rules 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Soda Bread only on the Bouy household.

khani
    Free Member

We went through a loaf a day, sometimes more; average about £400 a year, making your own costs a quarter of that (ish) so I now have £300 extra a year to spend on shiney bike bits, and it’s nicer
    Rules are for fools…..

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Brown on both. I used to do the red on bacon thing, but saw the light.

Tomato ketchup is for Burgers Chips and for kids.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I ad a cherbatter yesterday.

It was quite nice.

PiknMix
    Free Member

binners – Member

Tommy K on bacon butties. Brown sauce on sausage ones. Both on Warburtons bread. Everyone knows that

Other way round tommy on sausages but bacon DEMANDS brown!

and as for the cheese on a fish finger sarnie!

binners

Well to be honest, its all academic. The bestest things in the world EVER are:

😀

RustySpanner

Tomato sauce? With bacon?
    You filthy, disgusting pervert.
    You’re dead to me now.

And it’s Warbies for toast, oven bottom muffins for bacon, sausage or egg or anything hot.

Hovis, French Stick, poppyseed rolls or owt fancy should only be used for salad. You know, at funerals, weddings, christenings and so on.

grievoustim
    Free Member

We went through a loaf a day, sometimes more; average about £400 a year, making your own costs a quarter of that (ish) so I now have £300 extra a year to spend on shiney bike bits, and it’s nicer
    Rules are for fools…..

People who eat nothing but homemade – do you bake everyday? Or do multiple loaves and then freeze some or something? I like the idea and do bake bread from time to time – but think I would struggle if I had to do it every day

nedrapier

I think Hovis Granary is pretty good. Maybe I’m a ****.

beanum

I live in Switzerland and I REALLY miss sliced bread – mainly for the fact that it’s edible for a few days after buying it.

The bread here, when fresh, is fantastic. The problem is it doesn’t last a day. I’ve given up trying to get bread from bakeries on the way home as the only bread they have left came out of the oven at 5am and is about as hard to cut into as depleted uranium..

As supermarkets here close just before most people leave the office that means a daily trip to the BP garage to buy fresh bread…

To answer the OP’s original question. The best thing since sliced bread is of course……………….butter. 🙂

khani
    Free Member

OMG. 😯 your tastebuds are institutionalised, and any sauce on nice bacon is a crime
    As for craft slices on fish finger butties, that’s just mad!! Mad as a madmans arse!!
    I concur about the tommie sauce on fish finger butties though,

ransos
    Free Member

Any reasonable-size town will have a half-decent bakery. So what’s the problem? I can think of three within a 15 minute walk from my office.

PiknMix
    Free Member

nice baps

khani
    Free Member

People who eat nothing but homemade – do you bake everyday? Or do multiple loaves and then freeze some or something? I like the idea and do bake bread from time to time – but think I would struggle if I had to do it every day

Not every day, we make a few an freeze some, 2-3 times a week on average, I have noticed I don’t eat as much cos it actualy fills you up

binners

I had a bakery at the top of my road (Barbakan Deli for those who know the peoples republic). It was evil. EVIL I tell you! You try waking up to the smell of fresh Polish bread wafting from their ovens through your open windows as your eyes open.

The devils work!!!!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Almost any bread, anywhere else, is better

america. at least we aren’t as bad as them. 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

Hovis Granary is nice – makes lovely chewy, tasty toast

colonelwax
    Free Member

Any reasonable-size town will have a half-decent bakery.

Town I live in has got 2 Greggs, does that count?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cheers Binners, that’s my tea sorted.. Fish Finger butty.

RustySpanner

Nowt wrong with Greggs, it sells both kinds of food:
    Pies AND pasties.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Thomthumb good point well made. And a close look around a US supermarket might get rid of the idea that a huge range of choice means quality. Better bread in our Co-op.

jon1973
    Free Member

Why do we put up the appalling bread in the UK.

I don’t. You’re just buying the wrong kind, clearly. Tiger bread from Morrisons is great, and highly addictive. Never had anything as good in any other country I’ve been in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Sliced bread. The best thing since…’ is closed to new replies.