• This topic has 149 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)
  • Sleepless in the Saddle 2011
  • sfusion
    Free Member

Who’s doing it?
    How are you training?
    What’s your plan come race day?

I’m on the list here
    Number 6, solo male vet, Graham “Frame Breaker” Phillips.
    Training = commuting and just generally riding a lot.
    Race day plan is to try not to stop for too long between laps.
    Trash talking predictions;
    200+km
    18+ hours actual riding time.
    Top quarter finish overall solo.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes. My first solo.
    A lot.
    I plan to amble around at a sedate pace.

sfusion
    Free Member

I think I’m going to have to pair up on this… I’ve never done any racing of that sort of distance. I’d love to have the glory of having solo’d though 😉

parkesie
    Free Member

Im doing it in a pair im not training especially for it just carrying on as normal 🙂

Spud

Sadly not for me this year, injury and illness have put paid to riding anything like what I know I need for the event. Shame as I’d have loved to solo again.

parkesie
    Free Member

As for our race plan we might put it in the team name.
    Wrong tyres knees hurt sunburn to muddy im not ridding my bike any more lets get drunk and hide in the woods till its over.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m doing it if the weather’s good I believe! With the Salsa mixed team, should be good!

shinsplints

Team of 4 “Team Aldi Crane Sports Factory Racing”.
    If dry I am on the Anthem. If wet Charge Duster with Alfine8 🙂
    Will be ‘sleeping’ in the back of the car like last year only this year I will have luxury gazebo area in which to faff.
    Training : riding as usual.

bumley
    Free Member

I started training for it today! So should easily be in peak physical condition for next week!!!!

Riding in an all womens team this year so that should be fun 🙂

Drillski
    Free Member

Soloing again, for the second time, first was ’09 when the ground technically dry, but was very soft and hard work. Thankfully missed the mudfest that was 2008!
    Training now tapering, going for a ride over to catton tomorrow for a steady spin and to bed few new components in, and to have a look around under the guise of spectating at teh 24hour thunder run that Pat is holding there this weekend.
    Have started the sad and addictive process of checking the 10 day weather forecast every few hours….. I’ve decided i’ll stop checking when i get one that i like the look of and stick with that…..is that how it works?

Kryton57

I’m in with team Mi Big Cake.

Personally I’m hoping to boast faster laps than my colleagues then get totally wasted Sunday night 😉

RabidDog
    Free Member

Fourth SITS solo for me, 20th last year (3rd vet) – lowered my expectations this year as I’m fatter, slower and older. Dont intend to stop for long but the pace will be more akin to a friendly fat labrador on a walk out !! Aiming Top half – also keenly watching the weather it could go any way but veered to the positive recently…..where’s that bone gone 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Fourth SITS solo for me, 20th last year (3rd vet) – lowered my expectations this year as I’m fatter, slower and older. Dont intend to stop for long but the pace will be more akin to a friendly fat labrador on a walk out !! Aiming Top half – also keenly watching the weather it could go any way but veered to the positive recently…..where’s that bone gone

How many laps did you do last year?

Drillski
    Free Member

just popped over and had a look at the 24 hour thunder run thats takign place at Catton park this weekend: apparently the lead solo did 24 laps of the 10k course!!!!!!! thats 150 miles!!!!!!! OMG!!
    Apparently he stopped a few laps from home to pull of a toenail with a pair of plyers in front of the finishing straight then plowed back on. 😮

They looked warm today!

njee20
    Free Member

Edit: nothing to see here, move along!

5thElefant
    Free Member

That’s not many at all, in a wet Mayhem folk do more.

A bit embarrassing if they didn’t. What with having a bicycle…

njee20
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaah, didn’t know it was a running race! The clue was there, damn!

attractivefish
    Free Member

This will be my 7th solo at the sleepless, well it will be if I manage to get the bike together for it!!!!

Oh the last 2 have been riding fixed wheel, hopefully this one will be too

will
    Free Member

Mixed Salsa team Njee, thats cool 😀

I’m doing it in a team! Only done pairs before at sleepless so think a team will be fun! However “apparently” we are aiming to get very a very high position 😆

naffrider
    Free Member

Im doing solo. Looking forward to it, regardless of the weather and I rode as a pair in 2008 🙂

RabidDog
    Free Member

Fourth SITS solo for me, 20th last year (3rd vet) – lowered my expectations this year as I’m fatter, slower and older. Dont intend to stop for long but the pace will be more akin to a friendly fat labrador on a walk out !! Aiming Top half – also keenly watching the weather it could go any way but veered to the positive recently…..where’s that bone gone

How many laps did you do last year?

I did 20 laps last year but the course was very fast. At the moment it;ll be similar but depends on next weeks weather. One thing to watch out for at Catton Park are tree roots which get real slippy – I go with a sticky tyre on the front otherwise I tend to come off when I get tired. The course will have a couple of sharp rises but nothing of any note..I’ll be walking the top 2/3 of them after the first few laps !

postierich
    Free Member

In a Vets team hoping to better our position from last year(3rd) will be drinking occasionally and not planning on sleeping just heckling all the cheating gits on 29ers.
    Watch out for Team Crane/Aldi biggest set of talentless mtbers i have come across apart from Tollah and his merry men 😉

shinsplints

Watch out for Team Crane/Aldi biggest set of talentless mtbers i have come across apart from Tollah and his merry men

Be afraid Munro, be very afraid……

shinsplints

And as for the “talentless” that’s a bit harsh. Although Rich H did need special 1-1 coaching at the skills session recently 😆

weeble
    Free Member

Solo again here, going to start riding my bike just after 12 noon Saturday, planning on keeping going till 12 noon Sunday but we’ll see how it goes

RabidDog
    Free Member

..fair enough but the race starts at 2pm and finishes 24 hours later
    😉

postierich
    Free Member

Mike will look out for you hope it is a 12pm start!

RabidDog
    Free Member

I know 12 o’clock start was talked about but it says 1400 in the race manual

weeble
    Free Member

I may have the start time wrong, just presumed it was 12 as the start time for Mayhem changed. Hopefully it will be 12!
    Postierich be good to see you back ‘home’

gee
    Free Member

The start time is definitely 2pm. I checked with Pat after Mayhem started at 12.

Nick and I will indeed be racing in mixed for Salsa if it’s nice and probably heckling if it isn’t.

GB

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I will be going but only as a spectator. I live just down the road so I will mooch on down for an hour or two.

weeble
    Free Member

12 it is then, lie in Saturday

mchlptchr
    Free Member

SITS will be my first 24 hour race (or race of any kind come to think of it). Entering as a pair with the aim of not being last. Never riden in the area before. What should i expect from the course? How much climbing? Any decent technical bits? etc….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Pretty much flat and nothing technical. Nice enough ride though.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Sounds a bit dull, but i’ll probably be thankful of that after the first few hours.

Kryton57

I’m gonna lookout for Nick and sprint past him just to pi** him off when he’s least expecting it in a true Rocky vs Anyone underdog style.

It’ll mean the end of my SITS no doubt as he catches me and takes the place back 3 seconds later with ease and totally demoralises me, but hey….

*waves at Nick – Stan here btw….*

njee20
    Free Member

Excuse me Stan, what makes you think I’ll slow down long enough for you to pass in the first place 😉

The start time is definitely 2pm.

12 it is then, lie in Saturday

Which one!? I’d seen 12 I thought, because I remember thinking how much better it was that Pat had changed both of them to 12, 2 is rubbish!

Forecast looks alright, rain on Thursday, otherwise ok. Hopefully the course will hold up. **crosses everything**

donsimon
    Free Member

Is it worth driving for 1.5 hours to spectate for a bit and take some photos?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Ill be there as a pair. Thankfully my partner is more machine than man so will be ploughing in fast laps allowing me to relax and kick back with a beer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Sleepless in the Saddle 2011’ is closed to new replies.