Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sleeping bags for kids – help please!
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am taking my little girl camping in the summer (August) and have NO IDEA what to buy sleeping bag and sleeping mat wise.
    She will be nearly 3 and about 3ft tall!! Quite a toughy who sleeps in PJs and no blankets at home – approx 14 degrees in her room some nights.

Whats good for sleeping bags/mats?

crikey
    Free Member

I would buy a reasonable quality adult sleeping bag, probably a 3 season one that can become ‘hers’. I would add a cheap fleece throw like what the poor people like me have on the back of the sofa. Then she can have the fleece and the bag, or just the bag, or just the fleece on.

Mats wise I would be getting a Decathlon self inflating thing and a nice pillow and a new teddy.

crikey
    Free Member

…and a torch just for her.

druidh
    Free Member

If you use an adult bag, tie a belt or strap around it at approximately her length. That’ll prevent her “submarining”. Also be aware that, for best warmth, a sleeping bag needs to be a close fit. You might find a ladies sleeping bag a better option.

piffpaffpoff
    Free Member

My two (5 and 3) just have kids bags from Mountain Warehouse which were about £15. They’ve been fine, although the 5yo will probably need a longer one next year as he is quite tall. For sleeping mats they’ve been on our spare thermarests when wild camping and on just bog standard air beds when on a campsite. The thinner thermarests are probably better because you can’t fall off them – I keep having to rescue them when they end up wedged in between the wall of the tent and the airbed!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what about this?
    http://www.gelert.com/products/sleeping_pod_jnr_sleeping_bag

Re. torches – she has torches all over the house – one of her “things” 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Adult bag and turn the top down to create a half size double thick version which should also then help decrease air gaps.

Or just take the duvet off her bed.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

right sleeping bag sorted – what about what to sleep on? is an airbed a no no?

higgo
    Free Member

Ours use Decathlon bags on Alpkit mats.

qwerty
    Free Member

Our friends kid sleeps on a sheeps skin whilst camping, I reckon one would be cheaper than a decent airmat and far more comfy and warmer.

druidh
    Free Member

Airbeds get pretty cold (circulating air). If you use one, make sure to put a nice thick blanket underneath. The thicker “Thermarest” type mats are good for car-camping/glamping. No need to pay for a premium lightweight product – see what Decathlon/Go Outdoors have.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m going to Beddgelert tomorrow to kit my 15yr old out for a camping/hike adventure with explorers, if I spot any kiddie camping gear I will post it up.

P.S Gelerts shop is there.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a small one we bought for our two year old. Can’t remember the make though, but it was the only one around. We had to order it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cheers all – food for thought.

BTW druidh – how does one wipe ones arse when out in the wilds 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bags for kids – help please!’ is closed to new replies.