Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Slash or May?
  • garage-dweller

Of those two Slash but I really like both their work, within queen and gnr respectively at least.

I think a lot of who you admire guitar wise is driven by the music you like. In the golly that’s outstanding guitar playing category would have to include

Dimebag Darrel
    Kirk Hammett
    Steve Perry
    Page

Similarly bassists
    Cliff Burton
    Robert Trujillio in ST days
    Steve Harris
    Duff McKagan

Anyone spot a theme….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Coming from a family of professional musicians (not that I am one), slash by a country mile.

Scratch that, by the **** Atlantic Ocean.

jamj1974

bloodynora – Member
    Jamj1974 said Queen were ‘dull

Just my opinion. Personally, I think they had a couple of admittedly very high high-points but the rest is just a bit ‘meh’ for me. Also, I find May far less interesting than Mercury. That’s where the unique factor was in Queen. I also think post-Mercury, Brian and Roger have diluted the legacy that Queen could have had.

Junkyard
    Free Member

As if simply playing notes makes a great guitarist..

Did not know you played – what grade are you ?

Neither is a great IMHO However Slash is way cooler so I will go for him.

rickmeister

May, his last two programmes on Cars for the People have been great. Slash was tragically slow in the reasonably priced car….

slowoldman

Well James May is pretty good on the harpsichord.

But the answer is Zappa.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Tommy Emmanuel for the Win. They are so different Slash and May difficult to compare. Izzy was my favourite in GnR’s loved his playing. They were never the same once he’d had enough and left.

tpbiker
    Free Member

As if simply playing notes makes a great guitarist..

Obviously not…which was was why I made the point that I couldn’t play them like he could! But its a first step in the right direction…

I couldn’t even get close to replicating Slash

willard

Satriani?

binners

He’s not talking about guitar playing you idiots. He’s on about hair!

May wins on the longevity front, definitely. But Slash gets extra points for hat-based accessorising

Northwind

tpbiker – Member

I couldn’t even get close to replicating Slash

Did you see the MTV awards where they decided to get Slash to cover Crazy Train? He had to bring a spare guitarist. Aaargh quick Simon Neil, my fingers are on fire, let’s pretend it’s a lead and rhythm part!

Therefore, Randy Rhoads.

jimster01

Alex Lifeson

Doesn’t take it too seriously either – [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvS0CKNA6Q[/video]

teenrat

Not sure why the OP has only picked out those two, but for me its Satriani or Buckethead

CountZero

May annoys me with his homemade guitar. You’re worth millions, buy something exotic.

Muppet. May built his guitar with his dad long before Queen became successful, these days he plays replicas of the original on stage, which can be bought by anyone, I believe.
    And I’ve seen plenty of guitarists who play fairly cheap guitars just because they like them!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Slash or May?’ is closed to new replies.