Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Slash or May?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

Not sure…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Page

jekkyl

with the lack of info provided in the Op, I’m guessing best ever guitarist? neither, Jimi Hendrix obvs.
    Others will shortly argue for Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler or Eric Clapton. Special mention for Robbie Krieger or Billy Corgan.

It’s all subjective. I like my guitar players to be able to actually write a decent song too.

leegee

Iommi

honeybadgerx

Morello

palmer77
    Free Member

None of those are options ‘fraid

palmer77
    Free Member

Although I do love Red House

Swelper
    Free Member

Page gets a guitar lesson from Jack White

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUwhutKZAEk[/video]

nickc

out of those two specifically?

May; for me

samunkim
    Free Member

Peter Green

Green inspired B.B. King to say, “He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats.”[7][8] Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page have both praised his guitar playing.[9] Green’s playing was noted for its idiomatic string bending and vibrato[6] and economy[10] of style.

He was ranked 38th in Rolling Stone’s list of the “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time”.[11] His tone on the Bluesbreakers instrumental “The Supernatural” was rated as one of the 50 greatest of all time by Guitar Player.[12] In June 1996 Green was voted the third-best guitarist of all time in Mojo magazine.[13][14]

molgrips
    Free Member

You lot are misunderstanding the concept of ‘or’.

He’s saying, out of those two, which do you prefer? You can’t add your own.

Swelper
    Free Member

Slash all the way for me

Moe

May, Slash, Clapton, Page, Knopfler, Bonamassa, Satriani etc etc all excellent, all unique. No competition to be played, just appreciate the artistry of each!

speckledbob
    Free Member

I like May but i prefer Slash. As for the rest of you it’s a big world. Robert Johnson, Julian Bream, Buddy Guy, Paco De Lucia the list is endless and you’d be fool to argue about it so carry on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plus

A guitarist is part of a band really. If you start comparing GnR with Queen, well – it’s a non starter.

Queen were a unique phenomenon, in the nicest possible way. Never been anything like them before, and never will again. They invented their own genre of music, whilst at the same time being totally accessible, popular, pop-like and singable. Given how much music has been created in the world, and how derivative almost all of it is, that’s quite something.

LS
    Free Member

May is unique (although to start with he borrowed a lot from the best of the best, Rory Gallagher) and Slash is marvellous, but really needs Izzy to bounce off in order to get his best sound. On that basis, I’ll go with May.

Today, maybe the the way around tomorrow 😀

beej

May annoys me with his homemade guitar. You’re worth millions, buy something exotic.

maccruiskeen

May every time

(theres an image that going to take a weekends worth of drink to forget)

palmer77
    Free Member

I love the tone May gets, and the harmonics are something special! That said ya gotta love Slash’s swagger…

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Brian May for me, he’s got his own unique sound and way of playing. Slash is a good guitarist but seems pretty derivative to me.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Neither …… By the looks of them both they don’t tip their barbers

Edukator
    Free Member

The red special sounds great. If a choice of the two then May, but that’s only because I’d rather listen to Queen than G&R. Something to do with my age and background no doubt.

If you like the music you’ll probably think more of the guitarist playing it. So in my case that’s James Burton, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Michael Jones and many others.

I’m not a great fan of guitar hero solos, I like the sound of two or more guitarists working together, especially when the bassist gets onto the D and G strings and joins in:

Aubert and Bertignac in Téléphone

Stuart and Bruce in Big country

Jim, Don and Dave in Slade: the most proficient guitarist on Bass, a good guitarist on rhythm and errr. But put the three parts together in “keep on rockin’ on Slade Alive and I love it (but you may not).

Sweet Home. Here’s Laura Cox’s cover, I’m not claiming she’s the best but very competently does her own interpretation of the three guitar parts.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li1Rqo2UC88[/video]

Northwind

Out of those 2, Slash. But Brian May’s great too.

Matt Bellamy from Muse is kind of godly though. He’s got his own style but the mad thing is, he can play pretty much anyone else’s too- he learned by mimicking but doesn’t really seem to realise that most guitarists can’t just go “today I shall learn how to be tom morello”. Even tom morello can’t do that.

(NME said that seeing him pick up a guitar is like seeing Luke Skywalker pick up a lightsaber)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Has to be Slash, at least he looks rock n roll. I’d rather listen to Neil Young or Marc Ford though.

jamj1974

Queen were a unique phenomenon, in the nicest possible way. Never been anything like them before, and never will again. They invented their own genre of music, whilst at the same time being totally accessible, popular, pop-like and singable. Given how much music has been created in the world, and how derivative almost all of it is, that’s quite something.

And mostly remarkably dull!

tetchypete
    Free Member

White.

johnw1984
    Free Member

While everyone’s just naming their favourite guitarists, I’ll go for Mark Tremonti 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Slash every single time. May always seems to be trying to hard like the eager but slightly ugly girl at school.

Bucko

You have to have respect for May, GnR didn’t really bring anything new to the game did they?

Oh, and my actual vote goes 50/50 between David Gilmour and Matt Bellamy (local lad)

Slash since I think he’s more cool than May.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bonnamassa, Lifeson or the Reverend Willy G for me.

Bucko

It not really fair that we have seen what May is like 40 years on…

CaptainSlow

+ 1 Tremonti.

Slash and May are great but there are many greats out there.

Edukator
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYWJqaWZiBc[/video]

bloodynora
    Free Member

Jamj1974 said Queen were ‘dull’ lol

palmer77
    Free Member

10 – Member
    Slash since I think he’s more cool than May.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah, but is cool really all that?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Slash by a country mile…favourite guitarist of all time (but by no means the best)

I remember when I use to play guitar, I could play all of May’s solos (obviously not like he can, but I could play the notes), but no way could I ever play like slash…not even close, as much as I tried.

Hendrix for me is the best, not the best technically, but the best overall…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I really really don’t get Hendrix, at all. 2,3 great songs (one of which he didn’t write) and the rest is just ‘meh’ (to me). Each to their own tho’.

I’ve just watched he guns n roses documentary on Iplayer. So will go with slash over May.
    Those GnR boys knew how to live it up back then 😯

neilthewheel

Ringo

molgrips
    Free Member

I could play all of May’s solos (obviously not like he can, but I could play the notes)

As if simply playing notes makes a great guitarist…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Slash or May?’ is closed to new replies.