Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Slamming stem right down
  • damo2576
    Free Member

i.e without a spacer, I presume this is ok?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah as long as your stem sits a bit higher than the steerer.

Edit; It’s strictly not okay if it’s just for looks.

yossarian
    Free Member

It makes you a real man.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

If that where it’s most comfy, then do it!

Just be aware that short steerer-ed forks can be hard to sell on…

damo2576
    Free Member

its on a road bike, head tube is a bit taller than my previous bike…

palookah
    Free Member

On a road bike it’s mandatory. No need to justify it, just follow the rules.

mrdestructo

You need at least one spacer in there don’t you? To avoid crushing/damaging the headset. Even if it’s only 2mm. The base of your stem isn’t necessarily the best thing to contact the top of the headset with.

damo2576
    Free Member

On a road bike it’s mandatory. No need to justify it, just follow the rules.

😉

You need at least one spacer in there don’t you? To avoid crushing/damaging the headset. Even if it’s only 2mm. The base of your stem isn’t necessarily the best thing to contact the top of the headset with.

Yeah, this is what I’m wondering and not sure about…

steveh

No you don’t need any spacers at all, they have no functional purpose apart from lifting the bars. Bars lower is one of the top tips I got from a training day with shaums march a few years ago, ever since all my bars are as low as possible to move more weight forward.

damo2576
    Free Member
    Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve run a stem straight onto the split collett (no top cap) to get the bars low enough.In addition to a 17 degree negative rise stem- Elite roady!! 😯

druidh
    Free Member

mrdestructo – Member

It makes absolutely no difference whether it’s the stem or a spacer.

Northwind

mrdestructo – Member

The base of your stem isn’t necessarily the best thing to contact the top of the headset with.

Why not? The force is identical.

james
    Free Member

If its a carbon steerered fork, I believe you can need at least 5mm of spacers between stem and headset and at least 5mm of spacers above the stem/below the top cap. I think I read that for rockshox carbon steerers at least?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

yossarian – Member
    It makes you a real man.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

If its a carbon steerered fork, I believe you can need at least 5mm of spacers between stem and headset and at least 5mm of spacers above the stem/below the top cap. I think I read that for rockshox carbon steerers at least?

No, there is no minimum (from RS manual)

Carbon crown-steerer: remove any burrs
    from the stem clamp edges then install your
    stem according to the manufacturer’s
    instructions. Install a 2 mm spacer above the
    stem to allow for proper headset adjustment.
    Do not exceed 30 mm stack height when
    installing spacers

coffeeking
    Free Member

“slam it”. Most retarded sounding phrase of the decade. Must add that to the “phrases you hate” thread.

oldgit
    Free Member

Remember you can bend your arms if you want to go lower.
    Mine have been raised for a more sustainable aero position when in the bunch

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Makes no difference at all if its a spacer or a stem. Its still a cylindrical bit of metal in compression, aslong as the stem cap bolt is done up tight enough. i suppose you could cause some slight cosmetic damage to the top surface of the headset top insert if its the stem clamp in contact with it, but no more than you’d do to a spacer.

Both of my mountain bikes have their stems, ahem, slammed, due to length of head-tubes and length of steerers.

james
    Free Member

Might not have been rockshox

smiff
    Free Member

was not expecting this to be a real site..
    can someone please explain? i almost want their t-shirt ‘cos it’s so … nonsensical.

RealMan
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Slamming stem right down’ is closed to new replies.