Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • skyline cycles £99 service!!
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

just read this on their website “Full service – includes XTR gear cables.
    £99.99″

any idea what sort of service ur bike get for that amount??

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ll do it for £90.

br
    Free Member

2 hours labour and (basic) consumables?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Why not ask them?

As cheap as my LBS – and including decent cables

cookeaa

I expect it’s the “Plum that turns up to ride at Afan with a knackered bike, tools or mechanical ability – special”…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TheBikeChain in edinburgh do this for £90

“Born Again Servicing is £90, this is a full strip down and rebuild of the bike, with parts cleaned and lubed, everything checked, set and rebuilt. On this service there is no fitting charge for anything, so is a great time to add new parts, upgrades and replacements. It does NOT include fork/shock services and pivot rebuilds.”

So i’d be expecting to get a £9 worth more worth of work.

allthepies
    Free Member

The extra £9 is for the guarantee your bike won’t be nicked whilst out of your sign in glynporridge 🙂

showerman
    Free Member

not one of these im quite happy to spend £3000 on a bike then complain about service costs threads. look at it another way how much profit are they making from that £99

njee20
    Free Member

IMO a strip down and rebuild for £90 is an absolute bargain, I wouldn’t expect Skyline to be doing that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True, striping it to components and rebiliding takes some time. I’d do that at least every 6months or so on my bikes, ususaly when it’s time to rebuild it from summer kit to winter kit or vice versa. It probably takes me say half a day, so £90 aint too bad. Where it gets expensive is bits, usualy the BB and hubs will be shot in the spring, cassette and chain, rings, etc etc etc. I’d be supprised if it was £300 or less by the time everything that needs doing is done. Doing it at home and shoping online its probably nearer £100.

SpeedyG
    Free Member

cookaa -Your hardly gonna turn up there for the weekend and then go hmm, I don’t fancy riding for half a day, – I know I’ll get my bike serviced as they’re bound to fit me straight in on a busy weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Think you’ll find it applies more to people who live near, and if they think it’s worth paying then good luck to them!

LoCo
    Free Member

Speedy, ou might be surprised as to the state of some bikes I’ve had to fix for people when I’ve helped out a freinds bikes shops.
    I seem to remember having to rebuild the backend of a V10 and service the forks one morning 😀

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Seems fair to me, mechanics (most of them) now need to be trained and certified and they’ll porbably clean components change cables etc.

Its the old “take your car for a service at a main dealer and see how much that cost”

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

go buy some tools and have a play… it’s a bicycle not rocket science!

beanieripper
    Free Member

Apart from some more complex shock innards Im amazed anyone actually pays to service their bike… why not do it yourself??

I would imagine most people who pay £90 for a full service are not competent at replacing parts either, so will offset the cost by having a new BB, headset or whatever fitted at the same time.

br
    Free Member

Apart from some more complex shock innards Im amazed anyone actually pays to service their bike… why not do it yourself??

There are many, many people in the world who don’t even own a screwdriver, nevermind know how to use one.

And how many drivers actually have any idea how their car works?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Apart from some more complex shock innards

Even that’s quite straightforward with the correct tools and some patience.

angryratio
    Free Member

That would be fine if you were my neighbour who is still an enthusiastic rider, but, given he’s cash rich/time poor with kids and a busy work schedule thats pretty good value.

Lad i work with looked suprised when i said i bled my own brakes etc. He just said “sod that, i’ll leave it at a shop”.

mooman
    Free Member

Its aimed at ripping off the new guys.
    So what if they now have a certificate to say they have been on an expensive course showing them how to set gears etc.
    Does that mean their any better than people who have learnt to do it the past few years on their own bikes?

Quite a few years back. I took my bike to a LBS for a service.
    They charged me £25 for the service, a further 3-4quid for cables and a tenner each for fitting them.
    When I asked what the £25 service covered .. they told me it was to look my bike over.
    Never used a LBS ever since.

bol

I would describe myself as relatively cash rich and time poor. What time I do have, I would rather spend riding. When I do try and fix stuff myself I tend to take ages and do as much harm as good. I’ve got a good relationship with my LBS, so it doesn’t cost me a lot to get things done properly, keep my family sweet and get more time on the trail.

£100 for a full rebuild doesn’t sound bad to me. Like others have said – if it’s bad value to you, do it yourself.

walleater

They’ll quite possibly clean up everything in a solvent / cleaning tank too. I guess Mooman would rather spit on his stuff and rub it with an old T shirt for five hours…

tollah
    Free Member

They wouldn’t have dine anything today as they were shut and the best cafe in the world had gone 🙁

Pieface

seems ok to me, but I wouldn’t pay. I do however have the time, space, tools and a workstand to do this myself

ronjeremy
    Free Member

You made it over then tollah, how wet and muddy was it? Was going to pop over but after yesterdays ride I had some bike cleaning, fettling and wheel truing to attend to

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘skyline cycles £99 service!!’ is closed to new replies.