Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sky routers- load of pap?
  • althepal

Got sent a new one after old one went u/s.
    No problems with the old one, but the new one keeps dropping wifi, asking for authentication/password or error 404 when trying to access any websites. Switching on and off sorts it for a bit but then goes on the blink after a few min. My 3G must be taking a beating!!
    Googled it and found a lot of stuff but no one seems to have a solution.
    Went to buy a router, but told by the geeky looking guy in Maplins we can’t hook another makeof router up, Sky will detect this and cut us off apparently? Wtf??
    It’s the wee black mini skybox one, like I said, no probs with the old one and quite pissed off with this..
    Had to complain to sky prev about a billing prob so not holding out much hope for a quick (or easy) solution!
    Can anyone help or offer advice? No cable in our area so that’s not a solution.
    Ta.

v8ninety

Worth getting onto the tech people at sky (yeah I know, not easy, but possible) they seem to have a fair bit of control of the service at their end, I had issues with the speed and ping of my connection, and they were able to improve both. My wifi used to drop a fair bit, but it’s improved a fair bit recently without actually doing anything about it. Listening to streaming radio is actually bearable now.

BoardinBob

You can use another router but you’re not supposed to. Sky one was crap when I had it though to be fair the connection was good, but the inability to tweak the router was an issue for me. Sky get arsey if you phone up and ask for router settings but they are available online if you search

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scottyjohn
    Free Member

I am a qualified network engineer, and the troubleshooting they had me go through when I first got the sagem sky router was absolute bollox. I binned it after two days of stupid support tasks to try and get the thing working. Just google sky router password, there is a way to get the ADSL password, as Sky lock it down. Then just buy any ADSL router, Ive got a net gear one and its been great. Sky won’t do anything, just plug the old one back in if you ever have connection issues.

fisha
    Free Member

The Sagem router SKY now have is crap … it doesn’t seem to be able to handle the router AND wifi functions at the same time. Mine would regularly crash and drop broadband and wifi.

I’ve now disabled the wifi on the sky router, and plugged in the old BT homehub into it with an ethernet cable. The BT now acts as the wifi access point for devices in the house and the sky router acts as the broadband connection to the wall.

Its been an extremely reliable setup. I think in the last 6 months I’ve only had to reset the homehub and router once.

I’m just about finished networking up the house, so am going to move the homehub up into the loft at one end of the house and add a second at the other end of the house. that will give me a much larger wifi area including access in the garden, and will still be 100 times more reliable that the shitty sky router on its own.

Cougar

Try a different WiFi channel.

Failing that, they sent you a new router which doesn’t work where your old one did. It’s broke, get onto them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sky routers- load of pap?’ is closed to new replies.