Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Skinny fit outdoor gear
  • matt_outandabout

This is not a problem Ive had before, ahem, I’m more a Patagonia ‘broad’ fit. 😳

Middle_OAB is nearly 6′ and a 26″ waist. Skinny doesn’t come close….

He needs some new waterproofs and fleece gear, having grown 4″ since January.

So far Ive come up with Montane and Mammut as being skinny cut. Who else should I look at?

loddrik
    Free Member

Arc’teryx trim fit.

stevious

Black Diamond stuff seems good for me. Haglofs is sometimes but not always.

(I’m short and skinny though so treat advice with caution)

onandon
    Free Member

rab and Arcteryx have some real slim fits.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sister?

scotroutes

Wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier just to buy him moar pize?

mugsys_m8

Millet. American stuff is based on porky americans. Not sure it’s easy to get hold of in the UK.

matt_outandabout

Wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier just to buy him moar pize?

You should see how much pie, curry, ice cream, cake, toast etc that he consumes, all of which goes into vertical growth…

mogrim

Can you get Ternua stuff in the UK? Great kit, although the prices match the quality…

https://www.ternua.com

joshvegas
    Free Member

Regular fit.

Bunch at the back when on.

Stapler.

noltae
    Free Member

Shop at a proper climbers shop – They’ll have plenty of fitted kit in stock .

ElShalimo

Decathlon – he’ll fill out anyway so might as well get cheap(er) stuff, he could be 6ft4 next year.

slowoldman

Millet.

Not to be confused with Millets!! As my cool ski jacket was. I rolled my eyes, gave a Gallic shrug and skied away.

Oh and I agree with Rab. Fits me and I’m a racing snake.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

http://www.millet-mountain.com/k-expert-gtx-p-red-rouge.html

No long legs in their ski pants though. 🙁

incidentally – why do a lot of ‘technical’ ski/mountaineering pants have full length zips down the sides?

smashit
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk – Member

incidentally – why do a lot of ‘technical’ ski/mountaineering pants have full length zips down the sides?

To get them on when you’re wearing plastic boots or crampons.

Decathlon would be my shout. Try to find the euro brands.

stwhannah

Inov8 – made for fell runners. They’re a very skinny bunch.

Shackleton

Haglofs have a slimmer fit than I can wear in my experience. I happily wear BD, arc’teryx, patagonia and mountain hardware technical fit stuff.

mugsys_m8

full length zips are normally arranged so you can drop a flap and go crouch.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

To get them on when you’re wearing plastic boots or crampons.

Maybe I’m missing something but I tend to put my trousers on before my ski boots?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Maybe I’m missing something but I tend to put my trousers on before my ski boots?

Probably fine for (uplift-assisted) skiing. If you’re off climbing though, you probably won’t want to be taking off your crampons and boots every time you want to be wearing more/less.

IHN

You should see how much pie, curry, ice cream, cake, toast etc that he consumes, all of which goes into vertical growth…

Strap a couple of bricks to the top of his head. HTH.

timc
    Free Member

Montane

sweaman2
    Free Member

I like Rab gear – 6ft with 30″ waist

stevious

Indeed full length zips are for putting on over your boots. Useful if you’re ski touring or climbing and don’t want to cook yourself going uphill.

Also useful for hillwalking when it starts to throw it down and you don’t want to get wet feet while you put your trousers on.

slowoldman

Also full length zips are generally two way – so zipping down from the top allows for ventilation.

matt_outandabout

Thanks all. Clearly expensive tastes from the beanpole. Time to search eBay…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

matt_o, I posted a link yesterday to a site that sells Scandi outdoor kit. It’s a kid-specific site but also does some adult gear. The girl running it is shutting it down and clearing stock – a quick look yesterday showed pretty good reductions. Who knows, might be of no use, but it’s all quality kit. Maybe worth a look for you.
    Vikingkids.co.uk

benp1

I’m 6’3 with a 32 inch waist. Tall skinny, perfectly normal, but finding kit that fits well is tricky. Trousers are the most tricky – the assumption that big waist equals long legs is frankly ridiculous

Montane do long leg cuts but they also vary them in length based on waist size. However, Montane Terras can be cinched up nicely so I have a pair of XLs that fit OK

Haglofs stuff fits nicely – Rugged Mountain Pants in a long leg. But they’re outrageously expensive!

In general have a look at Scandinavian brands. They tend to be cut to fit the typical Scandinavian man who is tall and slim. They won’t be cheap though. Fjallraven have a good range and also sell trousers with an unfinished hem

Rab also do some trousers in long leg length, as do Prana

I found a company that would make outdoorsy trousers to measure that wasn’t very expensive, but I didn’t buy anything from them for two reasons:1
    1- i’m not an abnormal size so buying made to measure felt wrong on principle
    2- their materials were unproven so was looking for something I could trust

matt_outandabout

@deadlydarcy – he needs adult size, being near 6’….sadly there is only womens stuff on Viking.

CountZero

Jottnar kit tends to be cut for a close fit, I buy XL from them and I’m not exactly what you’d call cuddly, and the fit isn’t baggy by any means. I’m 6′, btw
    Sadly you’ve just missed their sample sale, which always has some good deals in it, but a lot of their stuff is cheaper than the likes of RAB and Arc’teryx, for similar quality.
    https://www.jottnar.com/uk/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

sadly there is only womens stuff on Viking.

Ah, sorry, I didn’t realise the adult stuff was laydeez only.

matt_outandabout

Jottnar kit

I’m not sure I’m completely comfortable spending nearly £900 on a set of waterproofs for a 13 year old to do DofE in…

sweaman2
    Free Member

Ahh D of E (cue trip down memory lane) When I were a lad….

Isn’t it customary that DofE kit is too large / doesn’t fit / isn’t really waterproof?

igm

He’s the same height as me. Can he buy a normal bit of kit and send the extra material to me? I’m sure it’ll fit straight into my stuff

Alternatively wait a couple of years. I was 6′ and 10.5st at 18. I’m still 6′ but 16st and couldn’t get below 12st even if I lost every ounce of fat on my body.

I appreciate I may have been no help.

igm

PS – does Stoner have any kit left from when he was young? He must have been 6′ at 13, DD only looks small by comparison.

timber

I tend to get Montane for a tidy fit.
    Waterproof is small as I am very warm and don’t wear many thick layers. Softshell is large to go over a t-shirt.

Also got some Haglofs over trousers that won’t fit if I have anything in the pockets.

More average than bean pole though, just hate billowing outer layers.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Rab

LD
    Free Member

Isn’t it customary that DofE kit is too large / doesn’t fit / isn’t really waterproof?

Not if yer dad’s a DofE assessor!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Suffering shitey gear is part of d of e, it builds character and makes you appreciate the value of good gear when you get a job and have to buy it yourself 🙂

6’3 lanky git here btw, and it’s rab all the way for the top half. I wear small or medium depending on usage, god knows how big you’d need to be for XL! Rab trouser legs are too short though, for that the only thing I’ve found that’s long enough is haglofs.

matt_outandabout

Not if yer dad’s a your DofE assessor!

Ftfy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Skinny fit outdoor gear’ is closed to new replies.