Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • £300 laptop, what to look for?
  • lister

We need a laptop for internet stuff, photos, kids homework etc…
    I’m not bothered what brand, what RAM, speed, storage should I be looking for? Haven’t bought a computer for about 6 years so slightly out of date!

Cheers

Cougar

I’m amazed no-one’s asked this before.

A modern laptop that won’t meet those requirements doesn’t exist (well, aside from price, there’s plenty of more expensive ones). Buy a named brand. Check out the Dell outlet.

mattyfez

Look for an i3 or i5 with 8gb ram and an SSD drive. Minimum size for the SSD is 128gb.

I’m not recommending the below but just as an example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-i5-3320M-Windows-Professional/dp/B01H5NW8YA

nickjb
    Free Member

I like Lenovo, robust and decent spec for the money. At that budget you are probably looking at i3 with 4gb ram and 125gb solid state drive or a 1000gb disc drive. I’d probably go for the solid state as it’ll be quicker and generally nicer to use but that may not be enough storage if you want to fill it with films and photos. Hybrid drive might be an option. As for other bits look for a card reader, USB3, hdmi – all pretty standard but annoying if they aren’t there. Here’s a few: https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/core-i3-laptops Or second hand if you want higher spec

mattyfez

Mechanical drives on laptops are slow as shit. Get one with an SSD, and if you need more space then buy an external drive.

leffeboy

As above, any brand name in your price range but I buy lenovos a lot now and am happy with them. I avoid hp as they seem to spend all of their time talking to other hp devices and it takes me too long to clean off the crapware. i3 and ssd would be lovely but if you have a lot of photos then 128gb won’t cut it 🙁

mattyfez
    lister

Excellent, thanks folks.
    Cougar, I did have a search!

lister

Is windows 10 really awful?

sbob
    Free Member

lister – Member

Is windows 10 really awful?

Nope, it’s fine. 🙂

I bought an i3 Acer, 8gb ram 1000gb hard drive with a wireless keyboard and mouse over a year ago, £280 PC World.
    Lid feels a little flimsy (I hate laptops though), but no complaints.
    128gb is tiny for a pic/flick heavy family, and separate drives are a pain in the arse.

ETA: ignore the peripherals, they were obtained by lots of shouting.

mattyfez

Windows 10 is fine. It’s the greatest thing since Windows 7.

You should always go through the settings with a fine tooth comb though, there are plenty of optimisation guides online, and after a major software update it’s worth double checking all the settings are as you want.

I’m not a fan of the simplified settings screens personally though.

stevextc
    Free Member

As others have said … anything modern.
    I’m not sure I’d pay more for a SSD unless I had reason to need the speed/extended battery.

We got a deal for Curry’s (based on price) for the OH in Jan sales… does what it is meant to which is basically your list.

As it happens I’m typing this on a 8 core monster desktop/tower… but that is used for work and I work in computer modelling where it matters (plus this was a hand-me-down from a mate)…. If I was doing video editing or heavy photo processing I’d use this rig… but basic office/internet etc. makes no odds. It’s just this is connected to the TV… In 10 mins I’ll be on my work laptop which is lower spec than most you’d buy today… with the video output back on this TV…

pictonroad

I asked this question on here, same price and use and, bought one as recommended with minimum specs as above, it’s a Toshiba.

I hate it, it’s terrible, it’s the screen quality. It’s only useable by one person at very specific angles. So for, photos and doing stuff with kids it’s such a chore to use it barely gets turned on.

So… my advice, but one from a shop so you can test the screen, that seems to be the biggest compromise at this price point.

ajantom

See my thread on refurbed HP Elitebooks from last week.

£120 for a business grade laptop with i5 processor, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD, Windows 7 Pro (and you can still get the W10 free update if you bend the truth a bit!). Metal chassis, lid and hinges, and feels totally bombproof.

I’ve ordered a 240gb SSD, and fitted another 4gb of RAM that I had spare. So under £200 all in for something that is far, far better than anything you’ll get for under £400-500 bought new.

stevextc
    Free Member

I hate it, it’s terrible, it’s the screen quality. It’s only useable by one person at very specific angles. So for, photos and doing stuff with kids it’s such a chore to use it barely gets turned on.

Unless you pay a lot more this is pretty standard…
    I just use a 40″ (2nd hand) TV … that’s also got an Amazon Prime dongle but I never bothered connecting to Freeview or such…

Macbook screens you can almost view from any angle … but you’re into a completely different cost bracket..

Even then I hate laptop screens!

mattyfez

To be fair £300 is right at the bottom of the market for laptops, you can’t expect miracles.

It’s like buying an apollo bike and moaning that it’s not as good as your mate’s santa cruz.

pictonroad

No it isn’t.

It’s my fault for not going to a shop and checking it was fit for the purpose I wanted it for. An apollo would be fine for commuting to stretch the analogy.

I understand it’s at the bottom end of the price range but with my lesson learned the op might choose to compromise something else.

br
    Free Member

John Lewis, no quibble guarantee, would be a good place to start.

And as said £300 is bottom of the pile territory.

sbob
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned what I got for <£300, and that’s not quite the bottom of the barrel, it’s resting nicely on the lees. 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

2 or 3 year guarantee.

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s my fault for not going to a shop and checking it was fit for the purpose I wanted it for. An apollo would be fine for commuting to stretch the analogy.

I understand it’s at the bottom end of the price range but with my lesson learned the op might choose to compromise something else.
    Or another analogy might be buying a stereo …. but then going to PC World etc. and trying to judge it on anything except how loud will it go …

It would be pretty hard in a store with the lighting etc. and you can fix this by plugging it into a half decent TV for your use case.

On the other hand its easy to go into a store and walk out paying way more than you intended…and the rest of the spec being way more than you wanted just due to the screen….

If you are a road warrior it might be a deal breaker but if its “domestic and pleasure” you can find a workaround… and save more money for important stuff like BIKES

DrJ

I was thinking of spending this, or less, on a Windows laptop for some work-related stuff and was very tempted to buy a reconditioned one from http://www.tier1online.com/ In the end I didn’t “pull the trigger”, but I may do eventually …

ajantom

Tier1-Outlet was who I got mine from on ebay. Their ebay prices seemed a little cheaper than their website ones – don’t know why!

They rank them from grade A to grade C. I bought a grade B, and apart from a few little scrapes/marks it’s in excellent condition.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I paid £380 for my Lenovo at PC World. 5000 series, i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, usual 1TB hdd. Processor and RAM are made up for with a decent quality 1080 screen. In future I’ll put in an SSD and upgrade the RAM to the max 12GB but for now its absolutely fine doing what I need it to . Some of the Lenovo apps are dead but easily removed, to be honest you could can the lot and not notice (but do like the night mode that filters out the blue light, very easy on the eyes)

franksinatra

Has anyone has any problems with tier 1, seems like a really good option. Keen to hear if there are any reasons not to go down that route. I have a Hp elitebook at work and would be happy to get one for home, tier 1 sends a very affordable way of doing that.

grannyjone
    Free Member

HP Pavillion

Plenty of RAM and a good processor.

It is even equipped with an Intel Iris so can handle low-end gaming.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘£300 laptop, what to look for?’ is closed to new replies.