Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Skills courses yes or no?
  • CFYB
    Free Member

My other half has suggested that I might want to go on an MTB skills course for my birthday. After the initial dismay that she should ever question my Mtb skills, hard earnt through the last 15 years, I thought maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks! Proper wheelies for one! Anyone got any experience of these? Looking fo something in the South West/South Wales area.

Drac

Can't do any harm and will all could do with some fine tuning.

FRONT PAGE

s8tannorm
    Free Member

You might be surprised what you will pick up. A good instructer will soon spot any basic mistakes you're making … it's amazing how many riders don't position themselves properly on the bike for a start. Braking technique is another area where most people can make big gains … I could go on and on 😉

Bit further north but you never know http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Cheers
    Stuart

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Absolutely yes.

Biggest single improvement you can make to your riding abilities.

I've done several AQR ones. Even the basic one after 10+ years of riding sorted out a whole multitude of minor errors that made me a much better all round rider. Cornering abilities especially came on enormously.

millsonwheels
    Free Member

I have done a couple of skills days with Fully Sussed in Plymouth: http://www.fullysussed.co.uk/index.php?p=2_2

I thought they were really helpful, there were about 4 of us in the group so the instructor was able to give us all individual advice.
    Great idea for a birthday present too 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Never done a Mtb one but I think I should. I thought I was a good kayaker but I did some advanced coaching and was amazed by how much I learnt. It also motivated me to go out and do differnt things looking at the sport in a different way. I assume the same is true of bikes. There are always things you can improve on, especially if you are recieving comment from an independant observer.

Stripe
    Free Member

Seconded for http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

He does travel – not sure how far but well worth giving a call.

Great teacher – great rider – very passionate about cycling.

Wookster

yes yes yes mate worth every penny aleway come back with bits to work on and a few weeks months down the line when the new stuff is habit you'll always be a bit better more confident well I am any way! 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

now available with tesco clubcard points

CFYB
    Free Member

Cheers guys, i suppose there's always something to learn! I did see something a while back about somewhere near Afan as well with there own trails and accom similar to the Forest Freeride lot anyone heard about this as well? I think i'll take the plunge just need to know where to go now.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I think it's be best money you can spend on your hobby. All the 'what tyres for xxx' stuff when really the cost of a set of tyres someone can show you how to use them properly 🙂 A few years ago I went on one, quite reluctantly because I was as good a rider as anyone I rode with (I thought) and was normally quicker than most people etc etc etc. It made a massive difference to my riding, ironing out some bad habits and also giving me a list of stuff to work on. It was like my riding had got quite far but had taken a few duff turnings and ended up at a cul-de-sac. I had to reverse back up the road a bit, take some different turns and all of a sudden there was a lot more road infront of me for me to progress down.

Don't expect it to make you able to wheelie though! I think skills courses give you a set of things to work on but it's only practice that turns those into actual improved riding.

There's loads of skills courses about and they many seem to get a good write up. I've got some skills weeks with Jedi (uk bike skills) next year so I don't feel I can offer an unbiased recommendation other than to say that I approached Jedi because I've ridden with him before and felt he would do a good job!

bumley
    Free Member

Book with Jedi, he fully rocks!!

I'm booked in again on the 30th Jan, can't wait 😆

snaps
    Free Member
    ojom
    Free Member

I can recommend MB7 for those of you who live up near here in the wildlands where dragons live. Check the link http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/store/content/16/Links/

RayMazey
    Free Member
    crazy-legs

Another vote for AQR. They used to hold their skills sessions in Sherwood Pines but they've got another location now.
    Excellent day out, met some great people, learnt loads and ironed out a few bad habits in the process.

I reckon £40 or so on a skills day is worth £400 of new bling for the bike.

Euro
    Free Member

If you can't drive a car – get driving lessons.
    If you can't ride a bike – learn (honestly, it's not that difficult).

titusrider
    Free Member

i did an athertons training day with one planet adventure. with ten years riding i was worried about the coaches being a touch below me but that really wasnt gonna happen with the athertons :p
    thoughly recommended 🙂

yetiguy
    Free Member

anyone done the courses at cycle wise (whinlater) or dirt school (glentress)

Considering both

bassspine
    Free Member

I did the TCL course at cycle wise. They are diamond geezers, highly recommended.

keyses2

Definitely worth it, you'll get alot out of one if you go prepared to listen and learn (rather than thinking you may not benefit because you have been riding for years).
    Another recommendation for Jedi here, so good I've booked another session 😀

FFJA
    Free Member

Absolutely worth it, it did stacks for my confidence and ability having someone just giving little pointers, try Stu at Dales Mountain Biking

gizzardman
    Free Member

scuse my ignorance but what or who is AQR??????

racefaceec90

most definitely.once i have paid off my bike,i intend to save up for a weeks holiday and go on a skills course (my skills are atrocious 🙂

woody2000

a quick release gizzardman

http://www.aquickrelease.com/

snaps
    Free Member

Google is your answer 😉
    http://www.aquickrelease.com/

coogan
    Free Member

Did a day with Dirt School at Innerleithen. Highly reccomended.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I've spent 23 years of hard graft and toil to become the mal co-ordinated mass of bad habits I am today and I'll be damned if I'll pay good money to some skilled,astute insightful so-called "instructor" to rid me of them thankyouverymuch.Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    S-H-#-T-E till the day I D-I-E I tell thee.

jedi

what i will say is great coaching is worth its weight in gold.
    some people will always learn by trial and error but the tide of change is happening in coaching perception. people get ski instruction but not biking instruction, wierd but that is slowly changing.
    thanks for the recommends

🙂

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Anywhere recommended in the South East for skillz courses? I've been thinking it could be beneficial for a while so this thread's reminded me, I'm sure my riding's got a bit stagnant over the years 😕

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Tony ' Jedi' Doyle, absolute TOP BLOKE 😀

latiric
    Free Member

Andy at MB7 in The Tweed Valley 😀 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

Second Dirt School. They're going to be coming out here for some coaching in the Alps next summer as well.

jedi

cheers mtbmaff 🙂

ZorbaTheGeek
    Free Member

I was on holiday in Wales last year and spent a day at forestfreeride.co.uk. It rained on and off all day, I fell in the mud four times and left Wales a far better and more confident rider.

Stuart at FFR squeezed me in for a one to one training session at short notice and the price was highly competetive. I'm heading back later this year with my new On One 456, and will be booking once I know when I can get leave from work.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Cheers for that stuart … was it really 4 times 😉

I'll see you later in the year then … oh, I've been building lots of new sections you might enjoy.

Cheers
    Stuart

ZorbaTheGeek
    Free Member

OK, so it was IN the mud once, due to mud twice, and once dangling from a branch in the "Tree of Fear". I dunno, some people can be so picky!

I'm riding that damn tree next time….

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Skills courses yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.