Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ski Lesson Advice
  • lapierrelady

Shouting out for some advice please. I’ve done about 6 weeks skiing, but none for the last 3 years. I’m keen to get some coaching to tidy up my technique, but can’t decide between 3 half days of group lessons (max group six 6) or a private 3 hr lesson. Which would you go for and why?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d go group, as it’s more fun. Is this in a fridge, or in resort?

Either way, a group will give you people a little above, and a little below, your level. That gives you the challenge to be better, and I reckon that’s one reason why group is better. Also, more time on the snow is always better than less.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

3hr private lesson. Then you don’t have to mingle with the idiots who’ve got seven left feet and can’t speak straight.

legend
    Free Member

Do you mean at home or abroad? Assuming your meaning when you’re on holiday, I’d go for the private refresher to straighten you out then relax and enjoy the rest of your week.

Assuming you’re away with others, half day lessons can be a bit restrictive as it means everyone has to return to the meet-up spot in the middle of the day

rewski
    Free Member

I got both my boys 1 to 1 lessons, only an hour for two days, they were well away on the second day. The trouble with groups is the instructor isn’t always focused on the individuals technique, plus it’s easy to get left behind, more so with kids though. Where you going? Fully recommend oxegene in la plagne.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Valid points here. I suppose it depends on the group/location more than I first mentioned.

FWIW – Ski Connections in Serre Che get my vote as the best ski school I know.

NZCol

You will always get more out of a 1 on 1 than a group so if you can pay for it then do that. I used to be able to correct a lot more one on one in an hour than i could ever do in a group for a few hours.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

check out warren smith’s dvds if you’ve got time before you go if you’re stuck on the intermediate plateau. I’d go private as long as you are specific with the instructor as to what you want to learn and where you want to improve. Don’t just accept the default of following a leather faced blond dude in a deadly red jacket, you’re paying for instruction not resort guiding. Make sure they watch you ski and give decent feedback. Maybe split into several sessions throughout your week as this would leave you time to practice in between? Where you going? some resorts have some pretty clued up English outfits that are head and shoulders above the tired non progressive local school which is still teaching people old techniques that shouldnt be used with modern skis.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia

If we’re talking private, meet Darren. All round legend, nice guy and GREAT instructor. His apps/vids are ace as well.

justatheory
    Free Member

I had a similar dilemma, I went for the group course in the end. I’ll be honest it was mainly due to money but I’m hoping if we’re all at a similar level we can help each other out and learn from each other’s mistakes. I’ve had good experiences in the past with small group lessons. If I’m really lucky they’ll be some moderately attractive single ladies in my group 😀

justatheory
    Free Member

If we’re talking private, meet Darren. All round legend, nice guy and GREAT instructor. His apps/vids are ace as well.

If you go with Darren, get ready to feel happier about life!

sweaman2
    Free Member

My recommendation would be 2x 2 hours of private if possible; if not then 3 hours of private. It allows lots of correction of technique. If you can manage 2 lessons then you can practice some drills between the classes and possibly progress further.

wallop

I went with Darren, aka “Razzle Dazzle”, only last week. Made a big difference to my week!

nealglover
    Free Member

If you are just “Polishing” your already reasonable technique, I would also say 2 x 2 hours private would be good.

Consecutive days, over lunchtime so you get chance to warm up nicely first, and the slopes are quieter so more opportunity to get stuff done.

NZCol

If you are just “Polishing” your already reasonable technique, I would also say 2 x 2 hours private would be good.

OP has done 6 weeks skiing, nothing in 3 years. Perfect time for a private to go back to basics and teach all the good techniques, the 6 weeks experience means the OP has some idea of what to do. I always enjoyed understanding what people wanted to get from a lesson i.e. is your ultimate aim to drop cliffs and do gnar backflips or ski competently across all terrain and snow types etc. It does influence the teaching method, not so much what you teach.

lapierrelady

Great advice here guys, and lots still to think about. The cost is same, so I’m just really looking to maximise the benefits and get back on my game (in my head at least!) I’m going back to my old stomping ground of Verbier, I did 4 trips there courtesy of my last school so feel reasonably confident about not turning the wrong way off the lift and having a special moment…
    Supersaiyan: love the comment about the leather faced (po-faced) euro instructors!

wallop

Isn’t Warren Smith in Verbier? I’m sure my friend Jamie used to work for him.

lapierrelady

He is indeed, but as he’s £600 a day I might have to plump for one of his minions!

wallop

😯

nealglover
    Free Member

£600/day is a fair whack, although I used to charge AS2000 (£120) per day, and that was in the late 90’s

So it’s not rediculous for someone as good as he is I don’t suppose.

hammerite
    Free Member

Depends where you’re going and what the structure of group lessons are. We had group lessons on our last trip (8th week I think) for 3×1/2 days. Turns out the local ski school did group lessons 11am-1pm (10-1 on last day). Was a bit of a ball ache as we’re all at a reasonable level already and it meant that we couldn’t make the most of the area (the huge Dolomiti superski) with lessons being smack bang in the middle of the day. However, there were only 4 of us in the group, the OH, Jnr, myself and another lady. The instructor was excellent too, a real task master and very thorough (turned out he also owned the ski rental shop we got our skis from).
    In the past I’ve had group lessons at the extremes of the day and they’re a lot more convenient – I really enjoy group lessons.

I think if we go to a large area we’d have private lessons so we can book them to suit us. If we go to a small-ish area group lessons won’t be a problem as we won’t feel like we’re missing out.

Woody
    Free Member

Private lessons definitely as recommended above. NG £120 a day seems very reasonable.

After about 4 weeks boarding, my Daughter and I had a 2 hour lesson in Montgenevre (which turned into 4 hours of wicked fun over the whole mountain) and I reckon it took the skill level to the equivalent of another 4 weeks boarding, just by having a good teacher and following his lines. IIRC it was about £65, which was fantastic value despite the fact we had such a good time we took him to a bar and spent more than the lesson cost 😆

lapierrelady

Looks like private it is then folks-will report back in March on the whole experience.Thanks for the help

nealglover
    Free Member

NG £120 a day seems very reasonable.

That was that was 17 years ago though 🙂

It was more than a weeks wages working for the Ski School.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Dam I need to pack in the day job and become a ski bum again 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

I’d be back there in a heartbeat, but real life gets in way.

Although to be fair, I was only really a “ski bum” for a year or two, the rest of the time I had a nice flat and a car and lived there, which is a lot easier.

labsey
    Free Member

Private lesson, I had one and it taught me loads. Really worth doing.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ski Lesson Advice’ is closed to new replies.