Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ski holiday in France (or Europe) with 2 year old – recommendations
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m looking recommendations for a ski holiday in early Feb ideally in France (but other European places considered) that’ll be good with a pretty advanced 2.5 year old (meaning that he walked extremely early and he’s very big, strong and capable for his age – more like kids up to a year older). By ‘good’ I mean that the kids facilities are good – He’s been on a couple of Neilson summer holidays with us which have kid clubs/creches and he’s loved them so ideally looking for similar. Obviously Neilson do do this for skiing too but largely seem to already be fully booked for when we want.

Also some tips on babysitting etc – or do you just tend to go to self catering places so you can eat in in the evenings/Go out anyway and let the sleep in the buggy?

Other criteria – hotel to be close to the slopes, typically decent snow (eg no really low resorts), no horrible (say 2.5hr+ transfers from the airports). Price – well I don’t want to have to take out a mortgage to pay for it but within reason, the price isn’t really the key consideration.

TIA

Stoner
    Free Member

tick-ish

Im looking at something similar this year. It’s been 4 yrs since mrs S and I hit snow. Stoner Jr Sr is now 4, and Stoner Jr Jr will be 8 months in spring so I ve been looking at combined childcare/ski skool for Jr Sr.

Family Ski, a local company to me in Malvern, have a good rep, but It came out at about £3k for a week. About £275-300 for each child for 6 days care plus another £500+100 for their accommodation, and our accommodation is £700 each. Too much.

I have access to mates rates accommodation in Alpe d’Huez and have had a quote for childcare (baby for 6 days all day and Jr Sr pick up from skool and afternoon play care) was £650 for the week.

This kind of thing is probably going to be the most cost effective for us.

clubber
    Free Member

Neilson are £210 in Les Deux Alpes for 2-4 year olds which sounded reasonable enough but no accommodation in the same hotel that week though that other accomm is available so I’m considering that.

http://www.neilson.co.uk/Snow-France-Les-Deux-Alpes-Families-Information.aspx

Stoner
    Free Member

unfortunately its guest only. Mates rate accom is about £300 for the four of us for a week, so worth it.

bruk

We go as a group each year and have had kids along at various times. We are heading to La Plagne with our 6 mth old at end of Feb in a catered chalet. Will be interesting how it goes.

From previous trips the Europeans are actually much more family friendly than we are here in the UK and of the previous trips Austria seemed best. Hotel Kramerwirt in Mayrhofen was very good from memory with staff that were really child friendly esp with regards to food and they had a payroom downstairs that had loads of toys and videos (in german but kids don’t seem to mind)

camster
    Free Member

Clubber – link to attached thread I started which may help with ideas?

linky

Stoner – we looked at Family Ski Co (we are local too) based on good reviews from some friends but with a family of 4 taking the kids at half term, the cost was astronomical! For us, unless I can convince the my wife to take the kids out of school, the cost is too much.

I bought the “Where to Ski and Snowboard 2011” by Chris Gill & Dave Watts which is really helpful – especially as it’s been some 15 odd years since I last hit the slopes and things have moved on since then!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Neilson from me. About the most family friendly holiday company I know of, yet not one that isn’t good for those without kids at the same time!

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

I am also currently looking it to this for our 4 year old who i want to have lessons and my 11 month old. I have done it twice before with one child but taken the mother in law both times and she looks after the little one while we ski. Then we meet her for lunch and then at the pub for happy hour afterwards.

First time we went to Morzine as I knew from the biking holidays I could hire a decent place, get there on easyjet and transfer cheaply and quickly. This worked well for the MIL as she could wander round during the day and there was plently to do.

Second time we went to les Arcs 1950, great resort for the skiing, but MIL have to use a sledge to transport the little one, and much less for her to do during the day. The transfer was not nice either.

So for this year, I am unsure and looking on here for ideas.

Stoner
    Free Member

do you rent out your MIL?

rkk01
    Free Member

Have a look at Club Med. They are very good at offering ski holidays for families with young kids (certain resorts)

However, I’m not sure that their kids ski clubs go as young as that!!!

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

I could ask, but shes going to Oz for 4 weeks in feb, so it’s not ideal for my ski plans as it is….

I guess we are lucky she is a good laugh and generally up for doing stuff.

rkk01
    Free Member

do you rent out your MIL?

I totally attached the wrong meaning to that question – thought you’d missed an “F”, until I’d read the previous post 😆

as in..

do you rent out your MILF?

clubber
    Free Member

Oi, off my thread 😉

I’m still really not sure as to what to go for… any more ‘back at work’ suggestions most welcome!

Stoner
    Free Member

I think Im going to have to go for the £650 nanny and stay at a mates place.

I could do with finding some names of freelance CRB’d nannies based in Alp d’huez…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get them on skis or carry around in a rucksack?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im a crap enough boarder already without balast! 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

damn hamsters

Stoner
    Free Member

damn hamsters

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I used to work in Alpe d’Huez and the Crystal Ski guys seemd to have the most complete childcare package…
    See details here

Chris.H
    Free Member

We’re going to Alpe D’Huez with Esprit in March with our 4 and 2 year old daughters. We went with them to Meribel last year and they were excellent, but it isn’t cheap.

All the creche staff are from the UK, with most of them fully qualified nursery staff, hence why it isn’t chaep. Kids go to bed before the adults have their evening meal, and the staff do baby listening on the corridors whilst you’re eating.

On the chalet staff night off they baby sit so you can leave the premises for an eveing meal.

I know someone who has been with family ski and said they were good as well.

clubber
    Free Member

Crystal Ski does look good – any suggestions on good resorts/hotels with them (with obvious requirement of being good for a 2 year old).

clubber
    Free Member

How is Les Arc? Found what looks like a good deal on La Cachette at 1600

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/france-ski-holidays/les-arcs/la-cachette-arc-1600

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Small resorts are always best for young families, try this company away from Feb/Mar schools holidays,

http://www.premiere-neige.com/services/families_childcare

teagirl
    Free Member

We and other families that we ski with go with Crystal. The young kids go to a creche morning and/or afternoon sessions then progress to ski school for their age/ability. There is evening entertainment for the kds too. We found the care good, usually students in their gap year. The hotels were good (not luxurious) and ours on the ski slope. Went to Flaine and La Plagne, we had to dip out of the trip to Alp d’Huez but the gang said it was fine.

clubber
    Free Member

Are the creches run by Crystal or by the hotel then? Read a review of one of the Crystal hotels that seemed to suggest that the creche was French run and no one there spoke English which didn’t sound great.

footflaps

Just been to La Rosiere with Crystal ski and there were loads of families with kids there and they seemed to really enjoy the resort.

teagirl
    Free Member

They seemed to be English student run where we were, ski schools were French but our kids managed ok

igm

Ski Famille are good though not necessarily cheap. Chalet based care rather than crèches which I reckon is good for younger children. And they are Les Gets based so you can check out the riding for the summer and start collecting frequent flier points for the lifts.

Also went with Esprit but I wouldn’t recommend them.

Shandy
    Free Member

Crystal creche staff are at least 95% English. They employ everyone on UK payroll and then fleece them for rent to get around the French minimum wage laws.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ski holiday in France (or Europe) with 2 year old – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.