Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • SITS – Catton Park Conditions
  • topangarider
    Free Member

Can anybody offer a heads up – should we expect gloop? (Forecast for tomorrow looks a bit grotty)

neilb67
    Free Member

Make sure you have a few spare mech hangers…. 😀

flip
    Free Member

I live 10-12 miles away and it's sunny dry and warm 😉

spesh
    Free Member

Flat and boring ?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

spesh – Member

Flat and boring ?

your girlfriend?

ventanarider
    Free Member

ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RR

topangarider
    Free Member

RR…genius.

Flip – if it does lash it down all day tomorrow, not knowing the local geology, what will it be like? Will it just suck it up and be ok? or not?!

Neilb67 – steel I'm afraid – big set of pliers needed, thats all.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Its in the trent valley isnt it, Id imagine it would get pretty muddy down there.

According to this the land beneath is

geology

KEUPER MARL

Not sure what that means

drain

It usually takes on the consistency of wattle and daub, particularly since the undergrowth/grass gets cut before the event.

The comment about spare mech hangers / mechs is spot on, a couple of years ago the stalls sold out of them, that many were breaking in the clag. The rest of my team were borrowing my singlespeed, drastic measures!

MS
    Free Member

Mech hanhers and spare mechs.

Simple solution – SS 😀

Will be running SS if conditions take a turn, if not will hopefully not ruin my xtr mech!

Mech hangers ? Don't you guys run Rohloff hubs then ?
    Next thing, you'll be telling me you're still on 26" wheels.

postierich
    Free Member

Lashing down here 5 mins from Catton Park, rained a lot of last night having a lap tonight will take pics and report back!

fatboyjon

Has anyone riding had any info other than the Endura offers? I don't think I've even seen anything with the start time on, is it 2pm?

twinklydave

There was a thread about who's had/not had the confirmation email yesterday: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sits-details-who-has-had-their-email

I didn't get anything..but I'm on the list of riders on the pro-velo site, so that'll do 🙂

Yep, it starts at 2pm

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I live in Burton – about 3miles away.

Not seen round Catton Pk, but local trails are riding well – even Robins Wood (Which is always v wet) is drying in places. – Until they cut all the trees down 👿

Unless we have some flash floods I imagine it will be all ok, just slightly tacky

molgrips
    Free Member

It does take a fair bit of rain. Just hope they've done something with the grassy bits. They'd be better if they just poured diesel all over it a month before the event.

neilb67
    Free Member

Have a look on Google Maps aerial photo for Catton Hall. Looks familiar… 😀

xcstu
    Free Member

I hope it doesn't rain for you guys and girls as it is truly rubbish in the wet ;-/

Another good thing for this event is a frame with good clearance from the tyre 🙂

Good luck.. won't be racing there this year myself!

molgrips
    Free Member

Sweet! Anyone know what year that is?

gee
    Free Member

2009 just post-race, so about 3 or 4pm. That's the only year the course went that way up the hill, rather than down the sheep track.

GB

markenduro
    Free Member

Looks like last year to me, I reckon I can see the van I borrowed and the big red feckoff gazebo next to the course. Think it might be before the race though as the course doesn't look too worn in. I'm not doing it this year but will be along to heckle on Saturday.

Spud

The ground is very hard, took some welly to get the tent pegs in tonight. Rain hasnkt touched it yet. See you all tomorrow. Solo area is all
    Around the marquee. Lots more space than usual.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good tidings 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Ground hard as **** lots of woody singletrack that needs lots of tyres over it will be hard on a SS!

attractivefish
    Free Member

If its going to be hard SS can't wait to ride it fixed, is it much different from last year?

molgrips
    Free Member

Forecast is some rain between now and KO on Saturday. Might just work out perfectly 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

when can i ride it today – is 5pm the earliest?

postierich
    Free Member

Ralph rode it last night its all marked out!

Will be fine on the SS so no problems on a fixed 😯

rOcKeTdOg

*waves from under an umbrella, near the start/finish line*

Spud

Just been round. As above needs some moisture in places. Should be good.

Random
    Free Member

In case it is muddy:
    Last year at SITS there was a tent selling Maxxis Medusas at a good price (not sure if it was Maxxis themselves). I think they sold out before the event started though!

gee
    Free Member

Is it the same lap as last year? Any new bits?

Dougal
    Free Member

Vehicles being pulled into the campsite earlier today:

nunuboogie
    Free Member

i'm riding on racing ralphs and refusing to change them because we are in the height of summer now. 😯

RabidDog
    Free Member

Good question though as tyre choice is tricky round catton. I'm soloing and am tinkering with putting my Mud X on the front as its the only tyre I've got that doesnt slip off those pesky tree roots. I'll sling my high roller on the back…anybody recommend a good sticky tyre for the front thats a bit more intermediate than my Mud X.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Nobby Nic if its not dry enough for the Ralphs.
    Medusa 1.8's or good ol' Conti 1.5's if it gets really bad!

mountainposture

How exciting! Hope to be there next year. Did Wiggle 6 earlier in the year and really enjoyed it and loved what they'd done with the terrain they have there. Hope you all have a great time – I'll be thinking of you 😉

RabidDog
    Free Member

Yeah I've got Conti's as a backup that I hope(and dont think) will be needed – they do not grip the roots at all so wouldnt put them on the front anyway. Must admit cant wait till 1400 hrs tomorrow ..looking forward to 0300 the next day with less anticipation !

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I only go onto the Conti's as a last resort. Not the grippiest tyre in the world, but at least they still let your wheels go round! Most likely end up with Medusa's on.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just gone round in bone hard conditions, spesh storm control on the front and a "the captain" on the rear – was ace!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘SITS – Catton Park Conditions’ is closed to new replies.