Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Singlespeeding a commuter
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Righto, i have an old(ish) Carerra Subway that has seen some hard miles and the gearing is fubar’ed. Didn’t help that i used a cheapo triple chainset, a cheap screw-on wheel and 7-speed cassette with some old 8-speed shifters and an old 9-speed XT rear mech!

I’ve found i’m using the same gear all over town so thought “why not?” and i’m thinking about going singlespeed for my commute.

Reckon i’m going to need a new wheel because of the screw-on freehub, but what about chain tension as it’s a vertical drop-out frame.

What gear ratio is recommended for pootling about a relatively hilly Northern town?

Any tips gratefully recieved!

will
    Free Member

42:18 would be a nice spinning gear, but anything over 22mph is quite a spin!

I’d look at getting a superstar simple tensioner, for ultimate reliability.

Currently in the same boat, looking at around £50 for new cassette, chain ring and chain, or just SS it. Problem is I use it for club runs too…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I suppose i’d best see what gear i’m actually trundling about in before i drop the cash!
    Crazy isn’t it? I’ve 4 bikes, and the one that i rely on to get be to work etc is the one i really resent spending money on…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hilly north Glasgow here and I use 44:16. Find it easy going. I use a reverse spring tensioner (pushes up). Easy set up.

jonba
    Free Member

I used to ride 48:16 but that was hard work and not much fun when I stopped using spds as it was hard to accelerate at lights – especially up hill.

Now on 48:18 which is pretty nice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeeding a commuter’ is closed to new replies.