Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Singlespeed cyclocross chain and freewheel question
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Rode a local cyclocross race today, it was proper wet and muddy, so decided to ride the singlespeed for its faultless performance in such conditions, anyway, within 100 yards of the start the chain came off and continued to do so 5 or 6 times in the race.

1. The chainline is pretty much perfect, but given I could just about (with a lot of convincing) get the chain back on again without tools – does this suggest the chain is too long, also the freewheel is rough as anything – is either of these likely to cause my problems?

2. After getting all bashed up today, I am going to get a new chain and freewheel. Do people normally run 1/8″ or 3/32″ chains? (Spec Single Cross).

3. Any recommendations for a freewheel – or should I just stick with Shimano to save the pennies.

Thanks all

M

firestarter
    Free Member

I use 1/8 in The hope it lasts longer , sounds like it was too slack imho

cp

Mine does that when the chain and or freewheel has worn. Replacing both the freewheel and chain will prob sort it. Do you use chain tugs to get the chain tension before doing up the nuts?

mattsccm
    Free Member

i think my Singlecross came with a 1/8th chain ring and chain and a 3/32nd freewheel. When I changed the chainring i put a 3/32nd on as it was cheap. I still run 1/8th chains as I had a few in a box and they are a touch more tolerant of crap and miss alignment. have yet to find a reasonable price freewheel that lasts. Dicta’s last one ride. Shimanos way better especially if you fill them with motorcycle chains lube( goes in liquid then goes sticky/solid). I refuse to pay for White’s. That goes against the whole principle of SSing and even cycling. And I am tight.

ourmaninthenorth

I use a 1/8 chain and 3/32 sprocket and chainring.

Sounds like both freewheel and chainlength problems.

stever
    Free Member

Is it an un-ramped chainring? That might help.

r0bh
    Free Member

I have a Spesh Tricross Singlecross for commuting and use ACS freewheels. The last Shimano one I had only lasted a few weeks, and the ACS ones can be had off ebay for not much more than a fiver. 1/8″ chain and 3/32″ sprocket here.

BigJohn

Sounds like you’ve got a bent tooth somewhere.

White Industry sprockets are worth it in the long run if you need to change. See Tim at Sideways Cycles

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I’ve dropped chains when they were only just slack enough to be put back on without tools, on my frame (Genesis Day Cross) I think the extra flex in the frame combines with the slack in the chain to make it drop. Can’t tighten mine any more until I replace the bent BB though 🙁

I went for a White freewheel as soon as I could, I hate buying ‘disposable’* parts these days, for more reasons than purely financial, plus I’ve started doing longer distances on mine and don’t want to have to think about freewheel failure out in the back of beyond.

*although I also hate the fact that companies think it is acceptable to sell such disposable parts.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thanks all, will order new freewheel and chain to go with brake blocks and brake cables.

Are white industries that much better than shimano then? I really don’t rate the shimano ones, but are the white industries fit and forget??

BigJohn

You won’t forget it when the credit card statement arrives, that’s for sure, but a mate of mine who’s as tight as a duck’s arse has got one on his TriCross and one on his SS. And he bought the second one about 5 years after the first, and after only 1 service on the White so they must be **** brilliant.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Hang on..£33 for the tool. Do I need one of these too??

Keef
    Free Member

no.you can use a normal bmx tool,just clamp it on tight,put in vice to remove.
    you don’t need a tool to fit a freewheel,make sure you grease the thread.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Funny how we see things isn’t it. I still feel that cycling should be inexpensive primarily. Against the flow I guess as most people seem to regard low price as beneath them given an option. Ecological reasons irrelevant unless you never use the car to go cycling. Takes all sorts don’t it?

13thfloormonk

Against the flow I guess as most people seem to regard low price as beneath them given an option. Ecological reasons irrelevant unless you never use the car to go cycling.

I don’t consider low price options beneath me at all, however if I’m riding singlespeed its primarily because I want a bike which works, all the time, in all conditions. The cheap freewheels didn’t do this. I don’t pretend I’m some sort of mileage monster, nor do I have the legs of Chris Hoy, but none-the-less, the stock Shimano unit got grindy, then wobbly, then seizey, all in approximately six months.

Ecological reasons are one of the reasons I don’t like disposable parts. What’s worse ecologically, binning five cheap freewheels, or forking out for one good one?

firestarter
    Free Member

I use a normal geared rear wheel with spacers and a splined cog as chain line is a doddle and easy to swap and change (I even carry a spare of a different size on on hub) and they last ages.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Anyone used one of the Token freewheels:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58054

Any good??

cyclistm
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crew, anyone used a token singlespeed freewheel?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed cyclocross chain and freewheel question’ is closed to new replies.