Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Single Speed – What's the fuss
  • stew1982
    Free Member

Is it a trend, for the challenge, or the simplicity…………..I just can't see the attraction??
    (I am however rather unfit and probably spend far too much time in the granny going up very slowly 🙄

spock
    Free Member

offroad it is very hard work but on the road for a general riding machine its perfect

cynic-al
    Free Member

For many it's perfect off road too.

OP For some certainly it's faddism, many been doing it for 10+ years. For some it's a cult, for others it's a challenge or just something different.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It's great for crappy muddy winter conditions, also fantastic on flowing single track.

I really like mine.

Also like me road SS too.

Filthy
    Free Member

It's less fuss really I do it in the winter when it gets wet and muddy.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I'm just about to convert my inbred to ss. Taking it to uni so can't be bothered with the maintenance, also think it'll be good for some winter training. Had an ss road bike and liked it so why not a mountain bike too? 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

SS is for attentionwhores, end of story!

oldgit
    Free Member

Not a trend at all. It's been very common with MTBers for over a decade. And for roadies it's been in serious use for training and testing since the thirties(more fixed back then though)

_tom_
    Free Member

It's just a nicer feeling – you have to try it and then it makes sense. I'm undecided for xc but for road I love it as it seems to have made my legs so much stronger in just two weeks. Forces you to work harder so it's great for fitness. Would be very tempted to run SS for downhill and that sort of thing – less likely to lose the chain and it's dead quiet 🙂

phinbob

I come on here much less frequently than I used to but how come every time I do there is a thread like this?

Is it a marketing conspiracy?

lyons
    Free Member

I never used to understand it, but since riding bmx for the last 6 months non stop, I can. Just one less thing to worry about… I'm changing my xc mtb to having a chain device again, nothing to do with the fad that has started in here, just cause I want the extra security. I am tempted to go singlespeed for the winter too…

smiffy

No fuss just a bit of fun.

No attention achieved riding mine, riding on my own in deserted mountains!

69er
    Free Member

It's just a simple bike that is a pleasure to ride and easier to clean in the winter 😉

If you live somewhere flattish they're ideal off road. If you live somewhere hilly it will make you stronger. Or kill you.

Don't make it any more complicated than that.

stew1982
    Free Member

Yep – it's a conspiracy alright!

In fairness I'm just interested, for off rd rather than on road.
    Think I may even give it a go for fitness purposes, if it works – Tom your a genius – if not………I'd think about chasing after you, but suspect I'll be too busy collapsing somewhere about 200yards up a climb! 😉

Pogo
    Free Member

SS for off road – fixed for on, no fuss.
    "simple is as simple does"

epicyclo

No faff cycling, that's what it is. It's not hard or difficult, and is even better if you live in hilly areas. Just select your cogs accordingly.

I've been doing it since it was normal, then stupid, then cultish, then faddish, and now apparently attention-whoring.

Coleman
    Free Member

It may be a trend, but certainly not a new one, as oldgit mentioned. My Dad used to compete in fixed wheel hill climb time trials back in the Thirties

donsimon
    Free Member

SS is fine for off road too, it's different. Even though mud isn't a problem for me, I spent most of last winter training on a SS and the benefits now are incredible.

_tom_
    Free Member

I'd think about chasing after you, but suspect I'll be too busy collapsing somewhere about 200yards up a climb!

I'm not saying its suddenly made me amazingly fit but I'm definitely noticing a difference. I used to struggle up the climbs at Cannock in my granny ring on the easiest gear, last weekend I could get up in 32-32 (1×9 style) which is a massive improvement for me 🙂

Only thing I don't like SS for is long gradual climbs, great for short and sharp though if you get a run up.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Ayatollahofniche – Member

+1

we had a ss'er come out with us last year but then he stopped because he was always miles behind and could see we were gettin pi55ed off waiting in the cold. He has to keep getting off as well……..

seemed pointless to me and a massive backward step…

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you have to ask…

i just find it more suitable than geared bikes for 90% of my riding.

cheers_drive

For me it's just different and I choose to ride as I choose to ride a road bike some days. It doesn't make me faster or fitter, but sometimes my 5" full susser seams things boring and too easy. A rigid SS makes it more interesting and without gears or suspension it's a pure challenge.
    Generally I choose the SS when riding alone or with big or slow groups. When riding with my faster mates or trail centres I take the full suss as the speed makes it fun.
    Horses for courses really.

petefromearth

i think we need a whole separate forum for the fortnightly 'whats the point in SS' debate

then perhaps another one for 'whats the point in having the same 'Whats the point in SS' debate every two weeks

miketually
    Free Member

There have been singlespeed "mountain bikes" for longer than there have been geared "mountain bikes".

bassspine
    Free Member

There is definitely something very satisfactory about 1ers. some days I feel like riding my singlespeed.

Some days I ride one of the other bikes. They're all good.

thatscold
    Free Member

Until you've tried it, you simply won't understand……..

samuri
    Free Member

It's just a fad. I'd give it another ten or twenty years and it'll lose it's appeal.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Other SS STWers have impressed me with their riding and one persuaded me to try it. I was ill and bored enough to do the conversion. Four rides in so far…

It's an interesting change of pedalling and pumping style: somewhere between hard and impossible to climb all the way up steep hills off-road at the moment, but overall it's easier and quicker than I expected.

The effect of losing 2.5lb of drive train and the lower drag is like having it two gears easier without losing the ratio, and the quietness when charging downhill is eerie. Spinning out on flat terrain is a little frustrating, but I'm learning to chill out and look for pumping opportunities and preserving speed.

I'm going to stick with if for the autumn and see if I grow limbs like Popeye and a beard like Bluto. If I don't then it'll be Plan B – 1×9.

Clembo
    Free Member

Ayatollahofniche – Member

+1

we had a ss'er come out with us last year but then he stopped because he was always miles behind and could see we were gettin pi55ed off waiting in the cold. He has to keep getting off as well……..

seemed pointless to me and a massive backward step…

It might just be that he wasn't a very fit rider 🙄

I've been passed by geared riders, but I've passed alot more. And I ain't no riding god.

Can we have a SS sticky topic or something so we don't have this question asked everyother day. Can't people use the search function. Then I suppose that wouldn't wind people up would it.

clubber
    Free Member
    ononeorange

Enjoy riding mine especially in the crud. That's all I need really.

The only time it becomes a bit of a fag is long flat road sections. Love it otherwise – oddly, I reckon I can ride more technical stuff on it than geared. No idea why.

DezB
    Free Member

we had a ss'er come out with us last year but then he stopped because he was always miles behind …

I've never been on a ride with a ss'er like that! They're always bloody fast (expect maybe on the downs, but then they're not slow).

I singlespeeded an old frame so I could take my dog out every night using the bike and not have to worry about cleaning it. The simplicity was a huge factor. As was the fact I could build it up without spending much money.
    Wouldn't call myself a 'singlespeeder' though. Can't see myself using it on a big outing (yet!).

Dibbs
    Free Member

but on the road for a general riding machine its perfect

Not round here, its just too hilly and although I don't mind getting off and walking off-road, I hate having to walk on the road 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

but I'm learning to chill out and look for pumping opportunities and preserving speed.

See, buzz's comment here gives an inkling into most of what SS is for me. Yes its all riding a bike, but its a fundamentally different experience and attitude to riding that provides variety especially coupled with a geared bike.

Short stiff climbs? Attack them. I wouldn't do that on an FS, I'd spin. Technical climbing? Having to moderate power output so you don't spin out on those roots and rocks that the FS would just munch up. Having to negotiate a line though chop to preserve your momentum that on the FS you'd just blast.

Its about the difference for me. Thats why I have a 23lb SS HT and a 29lb geared FS – very different riding experiences over the same terrain.

Theres also the attraction of 'uncomplicated' riding, but I'm straying dangerously close to hair shirts, peace and love there.

Man. 😳

xiphon
    Free Member

I have a SS road bike, and love it's simplicity. Only tried SS once or twice off-road (prior to buying the road bike), now I'm considering one as my next bike…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Theres also the attraction of 'uncomplicated' riding, but I'm straying dangerously close to hair shirts, peace and love there.

Man.

One ride with ADH and and you catch a case of teh hippy.

I'm now riding SS as I can't be arsed with gears and at the moment I'm fitter than an (aged) butchers dog so I can cope, I'm also going rigid now as my 10 month old SIDs are a technical right off, boy am I sick of all the faffing around with gears and suspension.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

One ride with ADH and and you catch a case of teh hippy.

😀

Actually, he was pretty quiet, but then he wasn't feeling well due to alcohol consumption the night before.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Actually, he was pretty quiet, but then he wasn't feeling well due to alcohol consumption the night before.

Tsk, youngsters nowadays.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

There is no fuss…..Its for the gods of mtbing and a few "niche haws"

MS
    Free Member

I started SSing about 2 months ago and love it. I think it does help vastly if you are fit though as you can get up more things.

Some of the previous posts hit the nail on the head, for me it is not overall faster but it makes you ride more effciently. Looking for the flattest and fastest line and also attacking hills from the bottom. It does increase fitness and muscle for me to.

However it does wear your teeth down as you grimise alot when going up steep stuff with a cadence of about 3.

I enjoy it because its different and will run it all winter. Think i will get a nice shiny SS next year but it will just be for training. If you can get the balcnce right it increases morale imo.

Plus its easy to clean!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed – What's the fuss’ is closed to new replies.