Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Sick days (seasonal flu content)
  • jonb
    Free Member

Plenty of people complaining of flu (might just be a cold who knows).

Anyway which one are you:-

1) Man up and come into work anyway?
    2) Take the day off because you are “dying”?
    3) Take the day off because you don’t want to make others ill?
    4) Take the day off to go biking and pretend you were ill?

PJ266
    Free Member

Im a student, so I just did what I normally do. Stay in bed.

Was very conscious of making others ill though, wouldnt want anyone to feel like I did!

yossarian
    Free Member

i normally rotate through all 4

warton
    Free Member

none of the above.

don’t come in cause I don’t feel well, and the way to get better is rest.

No MTFU, no drama…

Drac

If you have flu the last thing you’ll feel like doing is going to work. If you have a cold MTFU.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i come in if a feel a bit ill. i stay in bed if i know that i need a day off to recover.

I can’t stand people who come in for weeks on end ill – infecting everyone else and complaining about it when a days rest would have fixed them.

lunge

Sadly, as the last 2 days have proved, option 1.

maccruiskeen

Woke up this morning / feeling excellent! / Picked up the telephone / dialed the number / Of my equal opportunity / employer to inform him / I will not be in / to work today! / Are you feeling sick? / the Boss asked me, / “No Sir” I replied, / I am feeling too good / to report to work today! / If I feel sick tomorrow / I will come in early.

epicyclo

I hate it when people MTFU and wander around infecting the rest of us.

Cougar

The rule of thumb I use is,

If I do go into work, am I going to be any use when I get there? If “no”, I stay in bed.

I’m full of the lurgy at the moment. Booked last Friday and Monday off work cos I had to use up some holiday days before the end of the year. Was fine on Thursday, woke up on Friday feeling like I’d fallen down the stairs, full-on flu-like symptoms. Proper waste of a holiday, gutted.

surfer
    Free Member

Cougar, call in sick and get the holidays back.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, if you’re diseased… stay away from me please.

Having said that my immune system is rock solid.

LHS
    Free Member

5) Work from home so I am near creature comforts and not make others sick.

philconsequence
    Free Member

1 but should be 3…. as i dont get sick pay its always 1.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

phil – the fact that you, in your line of work, don’t get sick pay… makes me sick!

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve just had 5 days of sick (including the weekend) as I was down with “flu-like symptoms.” Can’t have been flu (I think) as I have had my flu jab (type II diabetes). I had a temperature of 39.2deg C and felt dreadful. Headaches, dizziness, sweating / shivering / sneezing / lots of dark green snot. I’ve come back in today because I feel I can actually contribute. If I infect anybody – what can I say?

john_drummer
    Free Member

“Sorry” ?

2 or 3 for me

john_drummer
    Free Member

You can’t call in sick & get your hols back. What if you happened to fall ill while abroad? You’re still on holiday

gordonb
    Free Member

currently having a day off cos of last nights non alcohol based vomiting session, 11pm, 12am, 1.30am, 2.30am, and 4.30am…. took the wifes advice, phone the boss and turn over…. not been off work sick since 2002, and haven’t vomited since 1994…. must be getting old!

toby1

If I’m properly ill then validly call in sick, if I have a sniffly cold and don’t want to spread it then I’m with LHS and just dial in and work from home.

Also worked from home with a nasty ankle sprain recently.

Why have sick days on your record if you are a jammy bugger and actually being in the office doesn’t make that much difference to your output 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I f I can get out of bed, I’m well enough to work (and would far rather be at work with something to do than feeling sorry myself sat at home).

If I’m well enough to go to work, then so is everybody else who has the same lurgy (and vice versa). Sure we might share and share alike on coughs and sneezes, but where’s the problem with that?

(4 days off in 15 years of working, and that was with chickenpox)

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have a cold/flu and have been going to work.
    I like to share things with others.
    They are dropping like flies at work.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Look at all you martyrs… going to work when you’re ill, all those kittens that aren’t as tough as you, pathetic. Spit on them.

You are idiots and I claim my £5.

warton
    Free Member

Its worth remembering you don’t get medals for going in when you’re ill. and when the promotions are handed out, they aren’t looking at sick days….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I MTFU’ed for 3 weeks as we were busy, thought “this is getting ridiculous”, went to the docs and was told it was bacterial and I really should have come in sooner, went into work afterwards only to be told by my boss that I looked so ill I should just go home (at last!).

kennyp
    Free Member

and when the promotions are handed out, they aren’t looking at sick days.

But when the redundancy lists are being drawn up they very much do, particularly all the folk with odd days here and there which are almost always skiving.

Edric64
    Free Member

If you really had flu you would not be able to get to work. I have had flu once and could hardly move for a week.Most of what we get is a horrible shivery cold thing .Flu is really debilitating.

Sandwich

But when the redundancy lists are being drawn up they very much do, particularly all the folk with odd days here and there which are almost always skiving.

And that way lies a discrimination case if that person has a mental illness.

Tinners

An idiot’s guide to diagnosing the flu:
    If you can man up and get to work, you’ve got a cold not the flu.
    Here endeth the lesson.

Drac

Are you suggesting that people who go off with coughs and colds have mental issues.

Adam_85
    Free Member

1) No sick pay here and i need the money!

iDave
    Free Member

I lack the necessary ability to be ill

kennyp
    Free Member

Sorry, you’ve lost me there. I’d have thought folk with mental illnesses are no more or no less likely to take odd days here and there than other folk.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

True flu and you’ll feel like shit/death warmed up.

I’d ring in, there is swine flu around and working in healthcare I’d probably be shot going in when ill, but there are those martyrs who’ll drag themselves in regardless.

chewkw
    Free Member

If it is flu then I would …

1) Man up and come into work anyway?

Ans: Yes. No big deal just don’t talk to me.

2) Take the day off because you are “dying”?

Ans: Only when my head is spinning with heavy flue which I did have few weeks ago but it fell on Saturday so wasted weekend.

3) Take the day off because you don’t want to make others ill?

Ans: No, spread the love and share it with everyone.

4) Take the day off to go biking and pretend you were ill?

Ans: Never.

🙂

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I tend to MTFU and just get on with it. There are two reasons behind this:

1: I don’t want to let my co-workers down (we are a small company)

2: I can’t be arsed having to tell the MD I can’t come in.

Flu is the exception. As in can’t move from the bed flu not heavy cold flu.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

general rule is if I’m not going to be productive stay at home get better quicker, avoid have 2/3 days off later in the week.

My GF worked for a place where everyone WTFU and came in trouble was they had Gastro where the strict advice was stay off for 1 week as you were very contagious.

She was new there and had no sick pay for first 3 months and ended up having 2 weeks off unpaid because people felt the need to come in and be useless rather than take time off

trio25
    Free Member

My partner is off work at the moment, would have gone back in today but her boss told her not too. Apparently too many people have done that in the last couple of weeks and made others ill! She still is ill but would have been well enough to work, but it is probably the right call as she will be more useful after another days rest.

Sandwich

Apologies for disappearing after my cryptic comment, nightshift got in the way. People with mental illness can suffer from a whole heap of problems that can cause odd physical symptoms. Any HR dept that takes the approach kennyp suggested without ensuring they know why the days were taken off and in the case of DDA ailments sick days more or less have to be discounted unless there is good medical evidence that the days off were not related to the ailment. Got that bit of my redundancy score knocked off at the last occurrence, my other skills didn’t match what was needed which I was quite happy to be judged on (relatively that is).
    There’s also the lack of managing health if the boss wants you back too early to be considered. Most employers don’t consider this other than just above my post.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve had a severe cough for over a month now, still coughing up phlegm. Had a couple of days off two weeks ago when I was feeling at my worst, but work kind of look down on it. Well, the management do, all my colleagues want me to bugger off because a) they’re worried I’ll infect them for Christmas and b) they’re getting annoyed with my coughing.

As I had a 6 month chest infection from October last year to March this year, I decided to go to the doctors if this cough lasted over a month. Unfortunately after a quick listen to my chest my doctor announced that it was ‘just viral’ and there’s nothing to be done but to sit it out. She then went back to browsing the Asda website. -_-

It’s annoying because my coughing is at its worst when I move, which rules out exercise – I’ve not been biking for ages in the hope that if I stay warm it’d sort itself out. I never used to get bad colds but I hit 29 and I just get ridiculously long lasting ones. I want to go out on my bike, but I tend to get a bit dizzy after a particularly enthusiastic coughing fit and don’t much fancy passing out in the woods.

/tale of woe

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Sick days (seasonal flu content)’ is closed to new replies.