Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Show me the best bike for british trails. This should start some argument
  • roughneck
    Free Member

which one is going to win

trailmonkey

british trails

that's a pretty wide catchment area you've specified there.

roughneck
    Free Member

Most people have one bike and ride every where on it.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Just make sure it isn't too expensive, or you'll upset people like this:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/am-i-missing-the-point

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'd wager you most riders here on STW have two bikes.
    So there's no answer.
    It's like asking me what the best camera is, or what the best car is.
    What's good for off piste Scottish Highland multi day epics is not going to be the weapon of choise for a 2hr blat 'round Cannock Chase.

Unless you narrow the criteria a little it's a somewhat pointless question.

Ti29er
    Free Member

So much so that no one has even bothered to venture an specific bike in any of these answers.

That should be answer enough.

tazzymtb

I think it's spot on, one bike should be more than capable. It'll probably end up being a long forked hardtail (ti 456 comes to mind)or some sort of nichemongers ego chariot. Or an orange 5 because every f**ker has one 😉

or…..

beej

[hippyvoice] The one you are riding at the time, maaaaaan [/hippyvoice]

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yeah, there isn't one, ride what you want to ride … simples 😀

tazzymtb

personally, I use a freaky wheel single speed for most of my riding; cannock, north wales,peak district etc.. with my big bike only coming out to play for seriously big or relaxed days, where it's more about not completely blowing my box by running ss rather than the bikes capability 😀

spooky_b329

It would have to be versatile, so that would be a geared, lightweight full sus that is good uphill in my books.

Dare I suggest the Yeti 575 😆

qwerty
    Free Member
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

tazzymtb – "nichemongers ego chariot".

Genius. Utter Genius. Expect to see this adopted and repeated in appropriate threads. 😀

Rolls
    Free Member

Short travel, lightweight full suss…. SC superlight is perfect IMO!!

13thfloormonk

Marin Rocky Ridge, with big fat tubeless tyres and as much or as little lightweight upgrades as you care to pay for.

Cheap enough that you don't get too prissy about it (I've already rubbed all the paint off the headbadge and headtube with my sleeping bag).

Its relatively light (certainly lighter than my 'XC' steel hardtail, despite the coil forks).

It climbs incredibly well, despite the 140mm forks.

I've descended some of scotlands most 'infamous' descents including apparently the steepest trail at innerliethen, some trial bike nonsense at Kinlochleven and the climbers path down the side of Buchaille Etive Mor, the bike handled them superbly.

Its an ace sit and spin enduro bike, I reckon if Rob Lee had one he'd have had an easier time on his double attempt.

Far too boring and not enough rear suspension for many, but I reckon its a classic.

tree-magnet
    Free Member
    Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just make sure it isn't too expensive, or you'll upset people like this:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/am-i-missing-the-point

HAHA

Ibis Mojo +1

Mackem

Raleigh Grifter.

roughneck
    Free Member

now your taking, heavest bike in the world

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think my NRS does the job quite nicely. It struggles a little on big rocky stuff but in general it's happy on anything and light and nimble enough for long epics.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The trails are too varied to pick one style of bike; from fast, smooth, flat singletrack to steep, jumpy, rocky, rooty ruts. But since we generally have smallish hills and so few uplifts, it makes sense to get one you can comfortably ride uphill for an hour or two. That's it.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Raleigh Grifter.

Heh! The trails would instantly flatten, in sheer terror! 😀

roughneck
    Free Member

15 years ago most of us only had a full ridged bike and went every where on it.

Edric64
    Free Member

I still have a couple of fully rigid bikes and go everywhere on them.Latest bike being a 10 speed all original Dawes Countryman full 531 from about 1984 to go with the rigid Overburys Fellrider 531 from 1985.Yes I collect and ride old stuff

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Show me the best bike for british trails. This should start some argument’ is closed to new replies.