Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Show and Share your FAT Bikes with a few lines..
  • 4roads
    Free Member

Cost – upgrades – smile factor ???

1st bike out of the garage ?

It’s close on the radar .. £500 to £1500 max all in lock stock and barrel as main bike ..? Or play safe and go 650b … need convincing …. London bike show next week …. 🙂

Poopscoop

650b+ surely for playing it safe? 🙂

ton

Jones+
    supercomfy monster big wheeler. took some getting used to. now feels part of me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Rh36Qk]2017-01-16_10-22-32[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JTicjN]2016-07-20_01-11-14[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

roverpig

Bought this back in May. Have ridden it in all sorts of places and all sorts of conditions and it’s always fun. Occasionally force myself to ride one of my other (much more expensive) “normal” bikes, but keep coming back to the Truck.

Poopscoop

Roverpig?

Where were those shots taken, particularly the beach pic?

Lovely, lovely bud by the way!

roverpig

Thanks. They are all Aberdeenshire.

Corryhabbie Hill
    Hackley Bay
    Suie Hill
    Glenfiddich (ruins at Suie)
    Clashindarroch
    Bennachie

Poopscoop

Thanks, truly stunning scenery. 🙂

You lucky devil you!

The Truck looks just right in that scenery too.

A big landscape suits a big bike!

oink1
    Free Member

No glamour shots and its ‘only’ an O-o but I love it. Haven’t touched the 456 since I got it and would be more than happy with this as my only ride 😀
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/LrXbTn]image1[/url] by Paul Tarrant, on Flickr

CheesybeanZ

It’s fun and a lot easier on my old arthritic back than my other hardtail,the handling is very tyre and pressure sensitive . I enjoy my full suss to much to have a fatty as my only bike .

Bregante

Genesis Caribou.
    Pros: It was cheap. £500 for an as new, used bike.
    It was fun on anything but long rocky descents and it rolled and climbed far better than it had any right to given its weight.

Cons: Cable discs (TRP Spykes in this case)aren’t really up to the job of stopping these when they get going!
    It didn’t work out as an only MTB for me and I sold it to get a 29er hardtail.

swavis

Mk1 Mukluk, brilliant bike. It was a bit of a wait to get it rolling as parts weren’t as easy to get a few years ago when it was first built. Don’t think I’d ever get rid of it.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dGad5j]MMBC ride from Burghead[/url] by Gavin Belton, on Flickr

Singular Puffin, also brill and a great looking bike I reckon. Might be for sale soon though as I’m on a 1 in 1 out rule…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/FWsua9]More singlespeed fat biking[/url] by Gavin Belton, on Flickr

treklee
    Free Member

Quite possibly the best money I’ve spent on a bike, cheers bregante. It’s the go to bike and is ridden everywhere, from commuting to nipping to town to all day rides in the hills and canals. It’s super comfy to which helps

rOcKeTdOg

dovebiker

Built this two years ago and it’s really opened up a whole new world of riding

Now shod with wider rims and bigger tyres – trial pack in preparation for trip to Arctic next week and participation in Rovaniemi 300

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

So wrong, yet so right. -_-

whitestone
    Free Member

Shall see that in the flesh next week Dovebiker 😛 I’m doing the 150

Singular Puffin here but not in winter race mode, though I’ve swapped the Husker Dus for Vanhelgas – much better in snow and slop.

rocketman
    Free Member

wohhhhhhhhhhhh a fat bike picture thread 🙂

Scott Big Jon bought Oct 2015. Overwhelmingly unstoppably FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wwaswas

Bucksaw. 100mm of travel but just endlessly capable and surprisingly sprightly.

Fatty Trail. Singlespeed experiment turns out lightweight and nippy.

NormalMan

My Surly Pugsley. I love this bike! Yes, it is old school fatbike geomtery but it rides SO right.

Bought as a complete build, although at the time, the green ones only came with thumbies, so I had them swapped over. I’ve only really added mudguards, pedals and bottle cage.

It was bought as 20th anniversary present to be used as a winter bike / fun alternative. But it pretty much became all I have ridden for the past year and a half. I’ve got ‘better’ bikes but this is my favorite bike.

After about 6 months of ownership, they slashed the price pretty heavily as a clearout. Under normal circumstances I’d have been bemoaning not waiting, etc but I had enjoyed those 6 months so much I really didn’t care. No sure if I mentioned it but I really love this bike 😉

To add some balance to this, I would say I get that it is not for everyone. I had hired one for a weekend before buying and it won me over as being what ‘I’ was looking for at the time.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Stooge Mk2 with B plus rear and B plus plus? Hodag on the front. This bike made me redefine what I though were the limitations of a rigid bike. I think I will always own a Stooge. So sorted.

Surly Ice Cream Truck. Only had this since Christmas and loving it. Will climb anything if you’ve got the legs (I’m getting there) and capable of smashing the downs as hard as a full suspension bike.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

OMG, is Google photo embedding working? 😯

Got into a very bad habit these last few days (besides needing a good tidy 😉 ), I keep bringing the Wazoo indoors after workout rides, thinking the weather might warrant installing the new 45NRTH Gravdal studded tyres (one next to front wheel).

I’ve installed the rear, easily detachable Beavertail XL extra wide guard, the bracket is not an issue when I swap to the fat tyres (I can then fit my Fatboard set). Still got the Grand DAD fork mount to fit, plus perhaps fit the PX foam grips, in the comfort of ~20C instead of a freezing garage!

Experimental 1×8 gearing with a 34T PX Ringmaster and 11-30T cassette, left all the 2x bits besides the chainring all in place for now. Given how most of my riding in on the road, I’m missing a little the extra gear inches of the default 38T chainring, when pedalling in the search and better segment times down local hills. 😈

roverpig

It didn’t work out as an only MTB for me and I sold it to get a 29er hardtail.

Funnily enough, I got rid of a 29er hardtail when I got the fatbike (after running it as a B+ for six months). Just goes to show that we are all different, I guess.

Good to see another blue ICT on the thread (with BR710 rims too).

Gotama
    Free Member

Roverpig and others with ICT…..I’ve just picked up an ICT but notice you seem to be ditching the clownshoes for the narrower DT rims. Is this simply to save weight? And do you find an increase in tyre roll when pushing on at low pressures.

roverpig

Gotama, I built my ICT up from a frame and fork, but only because I enjoy a bit of shed time. I had a demo ride on a stock bike (at the time) with clownshoe rims and loved it, but the temptation to go from lighter wheels (and the various threads suggesting this was better for general trail riding) was hard to resist. No problem with tyre roll yet and I’ve run them as low as 3-4psi on frozen mud trails.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Apologies having trouble with link!!

monkeyboyjc

felt DD30
    Cost – originally as a full bike£1300
    upgrades – almost everything….
    smile factor – very much so.
    1st bike out of the garage – unless it’s the road bike, yes as I’ve sold my full sus after getting this.

richpips
    Free Member

Did a 100 miles at Strathpuffer on the Alpkit Vir Fortis the other week.

Lester
    Free Member

lovely smooth ride, pretty ligh, seems to roll really well with Nate on the back and minion on the front, really chuffed
    it isnt as clean as that now after the first ride last night on newly fitted Makwa forks, grinning all night

roverpig

I must admit, I’ve looked at the Vir Fortis a few times. The geometry looks almost identical to the ICT in a package that should be lighter and stiffer. Not that the weight of the ICT bothers me at all when I’m riding it and I’m not convinced that stiffer is better. But something a bit lighter for the hike-a-bike sections might be nice. At the end of the day though, I prefer the sparkle blue of the ICT to the black/red of the Sonder and I’m shallow enough for that to be the deciding factor.

Just out of interest though, is there routing for a (stealth) dropper?

peajay

Surly Wednesday, had for just over a year, haven’t ridden my other bikes since, went tubeless with no problems and changed the tyres to a bud and a 120tpi nate, every ride is like being a kid again, just don’t care what speed I do anymore, chilled out life!

wwaswas

Lester – what’s the clearance on the Bluto like with the minion (I assume it’s a 4.8)?

richpips
    Free Member

I must admit, I’ve looked at the Vir Fortis a few times. The geometry looks almost identical to the ICT in a package that should be lighter and stiffer. Not that the weight of the ICT bothers me at all when I’m riding it and I’m not convinced that stiffer is better. But something a bit lighter for the hike-a-bike sections might be nice. At the end of the day though, I prefer the sparkle blue of the ICT to the black/red of the Sonder and I’m shallow enough for that to be the deciding factor.

Just out of interest though, is there routing for a (stealth) dropper?

Yep, stiff and light, though no stealth routing for a dropper.

Lester
    Free Member

@ wwaswas
    yes its a 4.8 but on the nextie 82mm rims, it comes up morelik e 4.6 and there is plenty of clearance, i dont use mudguards but if i did there would still be clearance, ive kept my blutos to swap over in the summer !
    love the colour of your bucksaw 🙂

ive still got my bucksaw :-0 but selling my trail with fatty carbon forkes

roverpig

Yep, stiff and light, though no stealth routing for a dropper

Thanks. Probably saved me a few quid then as I can’t see any cable stops for an external dropper either, so I guess it would be a case of zip ties on the top tube 😮 Great looking bike though.

wwaswas

Cheers Lester. I’ve got 65mm rims but wondering about the Minions as a Nate alternative on the front.

IT was the colour of the Bucksaw that clinched it for me really – it’s great in sunshine – has a metallic component that sparkles.

steve_b77
    Free Member

KTM Fat Rat, only upgrades over stock are the 28t single front ring, 40t expander, RSP dropper, Fizik Tundra M5 and tubeless for the JJ’s, brilliant bike, faster than it should be and a right hoot to ride.

Personally I wouldn’t have it as my only bike as it’s not really suitable for XC & marathon racing, I’ve got a 29er FS for that. But if you don’t do stuff like that or ‘nduro etc it’d be a fine choice. It’s ace for carting kids around too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QGQPbM]2017-02-08_12-34-03[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KsV5Nh]2016-07-26_11-39-18[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

Gotama
    Free Member

Gotama, I built my ICT up from a frame and fork, but only because I enjoy a bit of shed time. I had a demo ride on a stock bike (at the time) with clownshoe rims and loved it, but the temptation to go from lighter wheels (and the various threads suggesting this was better for general trail riding) was hard to resist. No problem with tyre roll yet and I’ve run them as low as 3-4psi on frozen mud trails.

Ah fair enough. To be honest the 27.5 x 4 wheels that seem to coming through look interesting so will just bide my time with the clown shoes.

Lester
    Free Member

@ wwaswas, i think the 4.8 minion would be okbut the bucksaw is supposed to run 65mm rims and 4.0 tyres, might be worth getting a wider spare front wheel rather than change tyre profile ?

sorry op for going off subject

wwaswas

Been keeping an eye out for 4.0’s but no one seems to have them. May just keep looking.

Also sorry op!

scud
    Free Member

Few photos from me showing why i think fat bikes are great.

Outer Hebrides 2014

[/url]DSC01198 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]DSC01065 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

On home turf, Wells next the Sea with first fatty, Salsa Mukluk

[/url]photo 4 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Freshly built, Fatty Trail, rides well, but shocking build quality

[/url]b by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Last weekends trip with friends, North Norfolk

[/url]7 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]6 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]e by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Show and Share your FAT Bikes with a few lines..’ is closed to new replies.