Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Show and Share your FAT Bikes with a few lines..
  • mpw
    Free Member

Another Puffin, started out rummaging through my space box only to realise that I had almost a complete bike in their. Then on-one had forks, wheels an tyres on sale. Only specific thing I had to buy was a 100mm BB.

I live on the coast and my other bikes is a Jones so the rigid thing doesn’t bother me. Really enjoy riding on deserted beaches, makes a refreshing change.

bedmaker

How do you get on with the Wren forks RD?

oink1
    Free Member

What mudguardy thingy bobs are they RD? Am I going to need a 2nd mortgage? 😯

Mugboo

[/url][/img]

If the photo works, this is at Wharncouver, my wrists were done after 20 miles of Sheffield tech so its now been Bluto’d

[/url][/img]

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Ice Cream Truck, this is how it started off:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QJhEX6]Awesome misty ride, getting to grips with the ICT now, love it! ? ? ? @intergalacticsurlybikes @surlysociety #surly #icecreamtruck #fatbike_29plus_life #fatbike #fatbiker #fatbiking #fatbikeworld #fatbikedotcom #26aintdead #itjustgotfatter #singletrack #m[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Then I got some Blutos:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Qv7DR4]Man it’s wetter than an otters pocket out there! Nice to be allowed to ride again though, regardless of the weather. ?? ?? ?? @intergalacticsurlybikes @surlysociety #surly #icecreamtruck #ICT #fatbike_29plus_life #fatbike #fatbiker #fatbiking #fatbikeworl[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

As others have said, it’s not necessary to have suspension, but for me it’s more fun, my others are rigid so it’s nice to be able to go downhill like a loony and not have my eyeballs rattle out for a change

roverpig

Are there any downsides to the Bluto on the ICT?

I’ve been suspension-curious with my ICT for a while, but a couple of things put me off.

First, the comments from some people about having to run the tyres harder to make the fork work, which seems to defeat the point of a fatbike somewhat.

Second, a nagging feeling that the rigid nature of the bike might be a big part of the appeal for me. It is the only mountain bike where I’ve ever felt like getting out of the saddle and honking up a climb. OK, that is more of a hangover from my roadie days, but it’s still fun. More importantly, I wonder whether the increased levels of confidence that I feel on slow steep techy stuff has something to do with knowing that the front isn’t going to compress and pitch me forward when I least want it to.

Of course, suspension would allow me to go much faster on open rocky descents and that may be reason enough to do it 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Are there any downsides to the Bluto on the ict

Same as any other fatbike, blutos are just stretched rebas & the 32mm stantions are a bit twangy

4roads
    Free Member

superb pics 🙂

Reading thro a few threads on the budget Voodoo Wazoo Fat Bike apparently there isnt a bleed nipple on the lower end shimano brakes ? – anyone here know if thats true if so how do you bleed them.

Thinking of maybe starting low and testing the waters (unless I get to try one off road before i buy) to see just how wide the smile is before cashing all my chips in ….

prawny

Not sure about the ones on the Wazoo, but I had some cheap as chips shimano brakes and they had a bleed nipple,my current brakes on my bossnut also have one, deore levers but non series calipers.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Before

After:

I love this ridiculous thing. At last, a bike that I can relate to.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@roverpig While they are only a stretched Reba and a bit twangy as said above I wouldn’t say it really spoils the experience really. My other 29er has Rebas on it so I suppose I’m used to it! I’ve not had any descents where I’ve thought they were going to kill me as a result of any flex and I haven’t held back on it at all. While I realise that is entirely subjective I have come close to PR’s on rough trails that I originally set on a 150mm full suss bike.

gowerboy

Would a fat bike loaded up for this trip be the way to go ?

http://imba.org.uk/where-to-ride/trans-cambrian-way/

Absolutely. I have done the Transcambrian on my Pugsley and it was a great bike for it. Comfortable and capable. Plenty fast enough with good tyres.

takisawa2

Nice ride today.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RMioeA]Hard work round Cannock today[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

Mugboo

Blutos, I’ve just fitted some 120’s to my Dune, I’m 80kg and went for 25% sag. Other than adding a little weight, which I didn’t notice while riding, they feel good.
    They allow you to go barrelling into sections that would normally have you reaching for the brakes.
    If they are noodly then I didn’t notice and with 7psi in a 4” tyre at the end of it I’m not sure I will.

I suppose it all depends how you intend to ride your bike, I want mine to be a different kind of trail bike, I don’t have the time for bike packing adventures or all dayers.

For reference, I did once try a Reba on a SS and found it too flexible after years on 36’s and now Pikes.

I can’t believe that Xfusion haven’t cleaned up with a Fat Sweep….

lowcogger
    Free Member

another dune,it`s gone 1×10 and fitted a reverb since the pic,blutos on the wish list.

psycorp
    Free Member

My fatty is in the process of getting a wheel upgrade. I’ll post a pic when it’s done.

rOcKeTdOg

What mudguardy thingy bobs are they RD?

mudhuggerfat front and 29er rear

prawny

Just been for the first ride on my own skinny tyres MTB for a while, I think I want a blutoed fatty now 😥

oink1
    Free Member

prawny – Member
    Just been for the first ride on my own skinny tyres MTB for a while, I think I want a blutoed fatty now

You know it makes sense! 😀

[/quote]rOcKeTdOg – Member
    mudhuggerfat front and 29er rear

Cheers dude!

garethc
    Free Member

Reccie last weekend for the Tynemouth – Berwick trip I’m planning for the Spring…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KGuDVmpUJA[/video]

guitarhero
    Free Member

Just been for the first ride on my own skinny tyres MTB for a while, I think I want a blutoed fatty now

Alternatively you could just harden the f up 😉

wicki
    Free Member

When I look at these fatbbikes I see slow gruelling hard work am I wrong? are they overkill for mainly flat gravel and woodland stuff?

rOcKeTdOg

are they overkill for mainly flat gravel and woodland stuff?

If you get a trail geometry frame they are brilliant on woodland single track. Boring flat gravel too but a traditional fat bike geom would be just as boring on flat gravel aswell.

Harder than a regular mtb? Undoubtedly, as much fun if not more? Definitely

garethc
    Free Member

When I look at these fatbbikes I see slow gruelling hard work am I wrong? are they overkill for mainly flat gravel and woodland stuff?

I was surprised to get some Strava PBs when I took it around the forest – on the uphills as expected (no shocks to squash), but also on the downhills (but think I did get RSI from the rocky sections).

flashes
    Free Member

SS…Had it for years. Ridden all sorts of stuff…

Fixed gear….what a laugh. My knees persuaded me this wasn’t a good idea….

prawny

The rigid Fatty I borrowed was surprisingly spry, but hammering down rough stuff and drop offs just wasn’t any fun, and I like doing that.

I think I’d be able to cope as long as the front was sprung, but rigid was too much for me.

Around Cannock was within touching distance of most of my strava PBs on the smoother trails, flat and downhill, and took an uphill one by a good distance just because of the extra grip.

roverpig

That’s part of the fun I think. They look slow, then you hop on and they surprise you. More than any other bike, tyres make a huge difference though. But shod with, say, a set of tubeless Jumbo Jims they can be surprisingly sprightly.

I’d say that gravel would be a great place for a rigid fat bike. It’s those small high frequency hits that the big soft tyres really excel at.

prawny

Agree with the gravel comment, they stick like stuff to a blanket round Cannock, it was weird going back to little tyres yesterday and skating around.

wicki
    Free Member

So whats the sort of acceptable weight and geo? suggest me a flat country fatty!

4roads
    Free Member

How much is a decent 1 x 10 set up to convert a wazoo say ?

kayak23

Calibre Dune, I got virtually new for a bargainous price from ebay.

I started off with a Voodoo Wazoo but quickly thought that I should have bought the Dune, as I thought the frame was better and the spec offered better future upgrade potential.

It’s totally stock, haven’t changed a single thing on it…..except, changed the brakes for SLX, RSP ego carbon 780mm bars, Funn stem, Reverb dropper, Uberbike chainring, Sunrace 11-46t cassette and XT 11-speed shifting gear, Raceface Chester pedals….
    Apart from that, totally stock 🙂

It’s just an awesome fun bike to ride. All my riding mates wouldn’t touch a fatbike with a bargepole but I love it. I always take it for local xc rides and at some point I reckon I’ll go Bluto so it’s more enjoyable on the gnar where I’d normally take my hardtail.

Had a great ride in the Forest of Dean on Global fatbike day recently… There was kin loads of us!

kayak23

How much is a decent 1 x 10 set up to convert a wazoo say ?

N/W chainring – £25
    XT shifter – £40
    Chain – £20
    Sunrace 11-46t Cassette – £50
    XT rear mech – £50
    Cables – £10
    Simplicity – priceless

4roads
    Free Member

Cheers katak23
    That global fatbike day looks the nuts for laughs … is that just once a year …
    Sweet stock bike… 🙂
    So did the Wazoo and Dune ride differently ?

rOcKeTdOg

Fat FoD is in july this year

kayak23

So did the Wazoo and Dune ride differently ?

I think so yes. Both are great bikes for the money. The Dune was lighter, the tyres better and I think the geometry a bit more modern if you like.

4roads
    Free Member

Ok thanks. I should be sorted for July …. 🙂

momo

Late to the party but I’ve just finished building this up today, so far only ridden round the garden/street but I can’t wait to get it onto the trails now.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SiwLcN]Genesis Tarn[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

Genesis Tarn frame (large – eBay bargain)
    Hope tech35W wheels with Specialized purgatory grid tyres
    1×10, SLX crank, Zee mech, XT shifter and cassette.
    XT brakes
    50mm stem, 800mm bars

kayak23

Nice Tarn.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Travers titanium Bat Fastard, with Lauf Carbonara fork

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Show and Share your FAT Bikes with a few lines..’ is closed to new replies.