• This topic has 70 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Shouting at car drivers – unexpected outcomes
  • Mikkel
    Free Member

if thats to close for you, don’t ever even think of riding your bike on a Danish road.

Woody
    Free Member

She did apologise if she got too close.

Speaks volumes that she had no idea how close she really was.
    Guess it also depends on whether the 6″ was ‘male’ or ‘female’ one 😉

project
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Not completely unreasonable rs – I am in a public facing position looking after vulnerable people.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

Yes and a very good job you do of looking after us forum inhabitants.

You should have said she was sexist, as she didnt drive close to a female rider, if there was one on a bike.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d have curled one off in her desk drawers by now.

MoreCashThanDash

Last time I shouted at a car driver he ended up getting a Police warning for assaulting me – none of us had been expecting that!

He drove an Audi as well……

kimbers

mansonsoul – Member
    …. As an HR person, you would hope she would have some care for other people….

not dealt with many HR people mansonsoul? 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

At my school in Thailand one morning, a pickup truck clipped one of the Thai science teachers motorbikes and pushed her into the ditch.
    I stopped checked she was alright and followed the truck that had just turned into the school gates to drop off a kid.

I knocked on the window and told them what had happened, they said they hadn’t touched her and tried to shut the door.. I grabbed the keys out of the ignition and walked off to the principles office, who wasn’t in. I sat in there waiting for her to arrive at work. All the time I had this demented mother screaming at me and trying to get assistant heads to get me to hand the keys back. She even called the police.

When the principle arrived, she was somewhat miffed at my behaviour, and bollocked me for it, but at the same time, when the science teacher came in and said that it was in fact the lady who had clipped her, told the mother that she had pushed her off her bike. The mother then still refused to admit she had done it.
    Two or three witness’s (thank god for having not pissed off all my kids parents) all backed up my story and the science teachers story.

Mother eventually admitted she did it and that was it. Paid for the broken wing mirror on the bike.

I got grilled for that, absolutely and utterly grilled. Really lucky my principle and I got on well or I would have been out the door.

Northwind

Having an informal chat about it in the office seems like a good idea, since it’s the sort of thing that can fester in one party’s brain if not brought up.

PS, were you wearing a helmet? I gather motorists drive closer to helmeted cyclists 😉

stucol
    Free Member

Riding into Glasgow one morning a lady in a corsa passed me and nearly shaved off my elbow hair. My exclamation appeared to not be noticed.

She turned up the next side street. Knowing she would almost certainly be stopped at the next set of lights i set off after her to “have a little chat”.

Just as she gets to the lights a Vectra pulls across in front of her and she stuffs the Corsa right into its flank !

I believe my words were “KARMA YA BI’ATCH !!”

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t see the need to apologise personally, I wouldn’t have. IF you’re driving like an idiot and getting that close without realising, the person shouting at you is doing you a favour and work colleague or not makes no odds. I’d consider it going back on my principles to apologise in that situation. Shame on you TJ!

donsimon
    Free Member

TJ only brave when sat behind the keyboard shocker. 😆

Keef
    Free Member

yes,yes,but is she fit ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It does seem odd and a little pathetic that she was scared.

MartynS

I’m incensed…(well I’m not, but.)

What right has your manager “to have a word” about something that happens outside work, Does he tell you off for not doing the washing up as well..

I hope he had a word with her as well for nearly killing one of his employees

As for apologising to her, well you’re a very generous man. She nearly killed you and you’re saying sorry to her.

hels
    Free Member

Most company contracts have a clause about “bringing the company/organisation into disrepute” although how anybody would know you work for them I don’t know… were you wearing a uniform ?

I was on the other side of this a few years ago, working for a local council and one of the road repair trucks nearly took me out on my bike at the same spot once too often, coming roaring out of the depot without looking properly.

By sheer chance I had a meeting with the head of that division that day, and he was a cyclist so I mentioned it. They had been waiting for a reliable witness to this guy’s bad driving and emptied him. Oops.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I can’t believe she felt the need to go to the boss?? Speaks volumes about her character IMHO. How can you feel scared locked in a car FFS. I wouldn’t have apologised new job or not. A the end of the day if she hadn’t driven like an idiot, you wouldn’t have done anything.

slowrider
    Free Member

A tt coupe nearly ran me off the road as he was lane hopping approaching some traffic lights on an island. I caught him up and told him so and he told me to f off and turned his stereo up. I took the keys out the ignition and lobbed them in to the hedgerow. I smiled all the way home.

stumpy01

coffeeking – Member
    I don’t see the need to apologise personally, I wouldn’t have. IF you’re driving like an idiot and getting that close without realising, the person shouting at you is doing you a favour and work colleague or not makes no odds. I’d consider it going back on my principles to apologise in that situation. Shame on you TJ!

+1. Seems a bit moronic of her to bring it up in the work environment. Especially if she went through your boss – the official channel – rather than just approaching you about it personally.

enfht
    Free Member

Wait till she discovers TJ is unionised and mouthy
    HR vs TJ 🙂
    Don’t get too upset TJ when it ends in tears for you

Do keep us all updated

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was riding along one of my lanes heading towards the Woods (as I do). Simple tiny roundabout to navigate and I’m turning right see, so I heard this car aproach from behind an indicated right, a nob in an old Astra tries to overtake me on the righthand side approaching the island whilst I’m turning right and he almost knocks me awf..

“Blast and damn” I shouted (something similar anyhoo’s)

The fat lad got out and came over to me and said “what am I going to do about it feking cyclist”..

So I spat in his face and kicked the passenger window in with my spuds. I then rode off whilst he turned a funny shade of pink. He never gave chase, said nothing, didn’t do anything towards me after that.

So I conclude that he got the message.

DezB
    Free Member

So I spat in his face

Classy

Cougar

kicked the passenger window in with my spuds.

😯 😯

Cougar

Ah, you mean SPDs. I thought, er, never mind.

donsimon
    Free Member

an indicated right,

😯 😯 😯

hora
    Free Member

I had a very large Scouse-accented bloke hop out of a newish 7 series infront of me and he was by my bike in seconds shaking my hand and apologising.

As he drove off I was still in the exact same position in the road astride my bike with jaw on the floor.

GrahamS

kicked the passenger window in with my spuds

Oooooof that must have stung. Do you have unusually heavy testicles?

MoreCashThanDash

There was a report in the Matlock Mercury I read today about a walker having a word with a cyclist who was riding – apparently – too fast on the Monsall Trail

The Police are now looking for the cyclist as they actually bit the walker on the hand during the ensuing discussion.

Would imagine that should get filed under “unexpected” 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Fair play, if your safety is suddenly endangered I think you’re allowed to shout at the person doing the endangering.

I agree with TJ again 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Just remembered when I blasted my horn at a guy in a Benz in Thailand, while out in the missus’s car. He pulled up alongside me and showed/waved a gun at me, smiled and drove off.

Mrs. Q gave me a right bollocking.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Me and a friend were riding on the back roads of Mobberley last week when we were overtaken just before a corner by a car nearly knocking my friend off his bike. My friend indicated that the driver should give us more space, which was met with the driver ‘flicking the bird’. My mate indicated again that he should have given us more space which was then met by the driver slamming on his brakes and jumping out of the car to confront us! Swearing the chap quickly made his way to the boot and pulled out a 3ft long pickaxe handle. He started waving it around and swearing a bit more before another couple of cars arrived. The sudden occurence of more potential witnesses seemed to make him change his mind and he jumped back in his car and drove off. I took note of his number plate and my mate called the Police. Following us giving statements and a very nice Police Officer (also a cyclist) the chap has been arrested and charged with threatening behaviour. My mate is ex RAF and on GB Paracycling squad so I’m sure that went some way into them taking it a little more seriously.

hora
    Free Member

Bet she said Jack Bauer would have ‘had him

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Shouting at car drivers – unexpected outcomes’ is closed to new replies.