Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Should we stock-up on Shimano 9sp XTR/XT/SLX?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was interested to see the news item about SLX and XT getting the clutch derailler.

But if it’s true that Shimano are not going to make higher-end 9sp any more, should we be stocking up?

z1ppy

I saw Cy’s comment, and find it very disturbing, as I have no interest in converting ‘down’.

Paceman
    Free Member

I reckon 9 speed will be around for awhile yet, although we were saying that about 8 speed years ago 😕

z1ppy

No I doubt 9 speed will disappear overnight (8 speeds still about ain’t it) but the concern for me was the actual level of kit available:

cy said: On March 1, 2012
    No, all MTB groups from Deore up at 10spd only now.

From the front page story about the new SLX

rocketman
    Free Member

Has always been the way. 8sp XTR was still available in the lbs in 2002, a year later it had all but disappeared apart from a few boutique items. Good luck finding some M950 cranks now.

retro83
    Free Member

Bugger. I’d rather go back to 7 or 8 speed rather than 10sp.

(I remember when this was all fields, etc.)

njee20
    Free Member

In 1999 when Shimano went 9 speed it did so on LX, XT and XTR all at the same time (as with 10 speed in 2011), they kept making 8 speed stuff for a while, in fact they still make a full range of 8 speed stuff, it’s just the cheap components, on the (safe) assumption that most folk using the higher end kit will have upgraded.

There will still be 9 speed stuff around for a while yet, just don’t expect to be able to get 9 speed XTR cassettes in 10 years time!

wwaswas

I think I’ll keep an eye out for a glut of high end 9 speed stuff on Merlin CRC etc – it’ll probably the last chance to get it cheap before it becomes ‘rare’ and full retail.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed that a rear mech will work with any speed shifter (could someone confirm this?). So, if it bothers you that much, you could run your gears into the ground, then buy all new 10 speed cassette, chain, chainrings – plus a 10 speed shifter.
    Or if you don’t care, the most expensive 9 speed cassettes in 2013 and beyond will cost you nearer £20 rather than £50-£120.

_tom_
    Free Member

Why is everyone so reluctant to change? I look forward to when 10 speed is normal so the stuff costs the same as our current 9 speed. 10spd means I should be able to get away with running a single front ring which means less maintenance and setup hassle for me.

hilldodger
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    Why is everyone so reluctant to change?

Say you’re happy with 9spd but trash a rear mech, if you can only buy 10 speed you then need to also buy shifter and cassette, makes it an expensive repair job 🙁

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

money?

Replacing 9 speed system usual means, cassette/chain/middle ring. I’ve no desire to replace shifters/deraileurs too.

could someone confirm this?

you need a new rear mech at least. Pretty sure its no even compatible with road stuff either. (My cross bike is currently using an old MTB mech)

retro83
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member

Why is everyone so reluctant to change? I look forward to when 10 speed is normal so the stuff costs the same as our current 9 speed. 10spd means I should be able to get away with running a single front ring which means less maintenance and setup hassle for me.

Because every time I’ve had to do this change it’s been worse (or at least no better) functioning than the old stuff, and it doesn’t last as long. I had a 7 speed mech for 10 years, yet I’ve been through five 9 speed ones in the last 2 years.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

10spd means I should be able to get away with running a single front ring

Why can’t you “get away with” it using 9sp? I do.

The fact is that I have a small stock of 9sp cassettes and chains and a lovely unused 9sp XT shifter set in a box. What I don’t have is any spare 9sp derailleurs.

So I’m going to be on 9sp for some time and am thinking about snapping up a couple of medium cage derailleurs while they are still around. Else I’ll be suffering the ignominy of Alivio shifting 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not that expensive though, I picked up a mix ot x7/x9/1050 bits off the classifides for little more than the 9s stuff would have cost.

I only run gears in the summer so they last ages for me anyway, might use my stock of 9s stuff next winter rather than going SS.

br
    Free Member

I look forward to when 10 speed is normal so the stuff costs the same as our current 9 speed.

Hmm, for top-end stuff it is as cheaper if not cheaper already – xtr shifters?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed that a rear mech will work with any speed shifter (could someone confirm this?)

No. 10 speed mechs are different. SRAM and Shimano aren’t cross compatible either.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m happy to up grade the mtb to 10 when it needs it. I’m less keen to do the road bike only as the shifters are so much more expensive.

however somewhere we have lost the road/mtb compatibility which is a nightmare for touring types. I’d like to run road shifters/ front mech & chainset with mtb cassette and rr derailler. i don’t think this is possible with 10speed. shame. 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Why can’t you “get away with” it using 9sp? I do.

I’m lazy/slow and find that the top gear with a 32t sprocket isn’t quite easy enough for longer climbs.

wwaswas

you can get 34t 9 speed or fit a smaller chainring 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes. Go out now and buy lots and lots of 9 speed Shimano, especially the expensive stuff.

GaryLake
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I’ve not noticed any wear rate difference between 9 and 10 speed.

Spares for your current 9 speed bikes is a concern obviously, but I’m not bothered about new bikes coming with 10 speed now. Two 10 speed XT drivetrains here, one from the first batch and one from the new 2012 batch.

wwaswas

Mister P – ah.

so do I get some ‘spare’ expensive shifters, cassettes and deraileurs for the 3 bikes I run 9 speed or just switch bikes to 10 as stuff breaks and use the remainder as spares on the remainign 9 speed bikes?

Are 9 speed chainrings ok with 10 speed?

PJM1974
    Free Member

So long as I can get nine speed cassettes of a reasonable quality then I’m not overly bothered. If Shimano decide to stop producing these then I’ll have to rethink any future purchases of Shimano kit.

I like using it, but I’m easily offended when it comes to new standards or manufactured obsolescence.

fasthaggis

Way back in the dark ages ,when 8 speed came along,there was a lot of worry that an 8speed cassette wouldn’t be able to handle the mudfest racing conditions of your average ATB event in the UK. so we all rushed out and bought…..

So how on gods earth do people outside the dry trails of California manage with 10 speed 😆

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’m stocking up on rear mechs and cassettes as all my bikes run dual control (the best thing Shimano ever made and I am a very happy Shimano user). So going 10 speed means new brake levers and a retrograde step to 6 levers on my handlebars when I only want 2.

juan
    Free Member

I have a spare set of deore shifters a XT and an XTR rapid rise rear mech and a 32 cassette. As soon as budget will allow me I’ll get another set of shifter in SLX and probably a couple of 34 cassettes.

10 speed is probably good for road, cross and X country. In the real world it’s just rubbish. Chain keeps breaking, as soon as you look to your rear mech hanger too firmly the gears won’t change properly. Basically it’s a microsoft approach. Overcomplicated and useless solution to a problem that does not exist.

Dickyboy

Only just finished “upgrading” all my bikes to 9 speed, so ain’t planning on changing to ten speed for a while

GEDA
    Free Member

Is there “any” benefit to 10 speed other than making the big S’s a long of money as people upgrade? For me one of the best inventions has to be the chain link which I believe it is really hard to re-open on the 10 speed chains without difficulty so that is a big draw back to me. I have 9 speed and never feel I have too few gears. Many none XC bikers have got rid of a third of their gears anyway by ditching the big ring so I am not sure why we need more gears when behaviour suggests want want fewer.

njee20
    Free Member

Chain keeps breaking,

Do we have any empirical evidence of that? Both Wipperman and Campag (and Shimano?) claim their 10 (or 11) speed chains are stronger than their 9 (or 10).

I don’t know anyone who’s had more problems with chains breaking, irrespective of riding style.

10 speed is probably good for road, cross

To be honest if a groupset is going to struggle ‘cross is about the worst environment because of the conditions it’s usually run in.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Many none XC bikers have got rid of a third of their gears anyway by ditching the big ring so I am not sure why we need more gears when behaviour suggests want want fewer.

I can see the logic of 2×10/3×10 systems for racing and riders doing long tarmac/gravel sections. But I have been pleasantly surprised how well my HT with 1x system (32/11-34) works for riding the hills and woods of Somerset, and I’ve noticed more of these setups on the trails. The big manufacturers don’t seem to have picked up on this trend. Which seems odd.

I’d like to see Hope bring out a dedicated complete 1x system with: cranks, single ring, BB, Cassette, and chain guide as I think it would sell like hot cakes in the UK. I think they are quite close, but wish they would hurry up!

I do take the point about the usefulness of a granny ring on big-days-out on big hills, though.
    I’m this -> <- far from changing my FS to 1x, but keep chickening out.

ransos
    Free Member

I had a 7 speed mech for 10 years, yet I’ve been through five 9 speed ones in the last 2 years.

This. My commuting bike is 19 years old, with original 7-speed mechs and shifters. I’ve had the same b/b, chain, cassette and rings on for over 2 years, with no sign of wear.

_tom_
    Free Member

you can get 34t 9 speed or fit a smaller chainring

By sprocket I actually meant chainring. My cassette is 34-11, I think a smaller chainring would make the top end a bit easy for faster descents.

njee20
    Free Member

I can see the logic of 2×10/3×10 systems for racing and riders doing long tarmac/gravel sections.

1×10 is getting increasingly prevalent in XC racing, good for 25mph+. It’s on the road I’d have more top end.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have three MTBs with 9sp, all with newish drivetrains. It’d cost the best part of a grand to upgrade all to their current mish-mash of SLX/XT/Saint/tiny bit of XTR.

I have been stockpiling mechs and cassettes already, tbh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My commuting bike is 19 years old, with original 7-speed mechs and shifters. I’ve had the same b/b, chain, cassette and rings on for over 2 years, with no sign of wear.

Apples and oranges, the 10speed dura ace on my ‘commuter’ is 2 years old too. Infact the chain is about 5 years old, but was unused for 3 of those.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Sound like there’s a niche appearing for the smaller companies to exploit.
    Microshift’s thumb shifters

are to my eyes truly beautiful and I’m ever more tempted to convert one of my singlespeeds to 1×8 just so I can have one of them sat on top of the handlebar.

nedrapier

Oooh! Thanks Mostly! Still running 7/8speed Suntour thumbies, They were working flawlessly till they took a pounding in an OTB incident. They might still work fine with some judicious molegrip/hammer work, but it’s nice to know there’s an alternative to the Pauls/dura ace cobble-together.

micky
    Free Member

On my 2011 st4 I can say that 1st gear on the granny ring is much easier to pedal with the 10 speed. This is great for long smooth climbs when you are really tired but I find It hard now to select a gear for short steep technical climbs. With a 9spd I just used to shift as far as i could go into first gear and up I went over technical climbs. The 10 speed in 1st gear makes it very hard to clear anything as your feet spin around like roadrunners and you tend to stall from no speed. I didn’t notice the difference when changing to a 10 speed road bike but on the mountain it gives you more to think about when approaching sections and takes a bit of getting used to. The biggest sprocket on my st4 is almost the same size as the biggest chainring!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Sound like there’s a niche appearing for the smaller companies to exploit.

there truly is.

imo microshift et al need to stop competing and carve there own market sector.

how about 11-36 9 speed cassettes – XT level quality.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Should we stock-up on Shimano 9sp XTR/XT/SLX?’ is closed to new replies.