Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Should I try motor biking?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Me and the wife are both slightly interested in trying motorbikes, largely the fault of Charlie and Ewan….. (Long way round etc)

I’ve always been v scared of trying it and I’m not convinced in my levels of self control and responsibility. I’m sure wife would be sensible but not always the best observer in the world of driving

At 27 we could direct access, not sure we could actually afford to buy bikes now but hey!

Both never even been on a bike so what’s the best way or place to give it a try? (Surrey based)
    What say you hive mind… 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Contact one of the training places and book a try out session, they’ll do it in a closed car park or similar

Motorcycling is truly incredible at times

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I love the look of them but too many idiot car drivers on the road ready to kill you in my opinion.
    So no.

A chap down the road bought his wife a motorbike for her 40th, sadly and tragically she didn’t make 41.
    A bloke I used to drink with in the pub was killed on his motorbike a week last Friday.
    My mate accidentally ran over and killed a motorcyclist who was going too fast, the biker tried a crazy overtaking manoeuvre, got catapulted off and ended up with his head underneath the wheels of said friends car.
    My dad was knocked off his motorbike twice by shite drivers before he gave it up.
    Shall I go on?

slowoldman

I have thought throughout middle age and beyond that I ought to give it a go. I just have the idea though that I might not be content with poodling around and would want to get my knee down, becoming a Cat and Fiddle statistic. Something to do with my youthful rallying involvement I suspect. So I don’t think I will bother now.

Still, if someone would like to offer me a ride on a sidecar outfit, just for fun. I’ve always fancied that.

amplebrew

I can honestly say that passing my bike test was the best thing I ever did. It opened up a whole new world of friends and experiences. The roads I’d traveled along and places I’d been to were completely different from the seat of a bike.

I took 4 days off work with lessons on the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and then my test on the Thursday.

If you get the bug, invest in further training and get the best clothing you can. Rubbish or ill fitting clothing and helmets can make make or break it.

falkirk-mark

I would not do it and in the case of your mrs who isn’t the most observant then that is a definate no (very steep learning curve).

samunkim
    Free Member

Nah It’s the loss of control I hate…

Every little old lady, or hung over bloke waiting to come out of a T junction is an arse clenching moment
    You wait/hope for them to notice you before they pull out, rather than when you are cart-wheeling, over their bonnet.

On a MTB if you get hurt its usually something you’ve done to yourself

wanmankylung
    Free Member
    amplebrew

Getting on a bike may possibly improve your wife’s observational skills. I think that being out in the open makes you more aware of what’s happening around you.

Experience on the bike definitely made me more aware as a driver.

Not everyone likes bikes though, but its definitely worth a go. If you click with it, then its a really fantastic experience.

jota180
    Free Member

Nah It’s the loss of control I hate…

Every little old lady, or hung over bloke waiting to come out of a T junction is an arse clenching moment
    You wait/hope for them to notice you before they pull out, rather than when you are cart-wheeling, over their bonnet.

That’s not motorcycling as I know it
    Sure you keep an eye on other road users more than you would in a car, but I certainly don’t spend the whole ride with my arse going like a rabbit’s nose

chojin
    Free Member

Ignore the negativity here, motorbiking is awesome!

If you want to try it for free, i believe you can.

http://www.geton.co.uk/free-motorbike-scooter-experience/

Northwind

I loved it, it was a lot of the time the biggest thing in my life, had so many great times on my little “learner bike” 650. It’s not moved for 4 years now though, I found it impossible to make time for pushbikes and motorbikes, and mountain bikes won the fight… But so totally worth it.

Had a couple of crashes, have to say mostly at least partly my fault (sliding along tarmac at 70mph makes you appreciate cows more, not to mention smooth tarmac and gravel traps), a bunch of near misses most of which were not my fault… Yes it’s more dangerous than a car. So is a road bike, or dating a call girl. I won’t tell you whether you should do it- that’s your own risk/reward assessment. But I put IIRC 60000 miles on 2 bikes, massive amounts of that was urban, and I ain’t dead.

But doing your CBT isn’t massively expensive (it’s not throwaway cheap) and would give you a better feel for it, if nothing else you could just treat it as an “experience day” but it might lead to something fantastic.

Self control… Well are you thinking about doing the Long Way Round thing and getting a bavarian tractor? They’re not slow but they’re not sports bikes, they don’t encourage bellendery in the same way a sports bike can. It’s a tricky one this as the vulnerability and experience of riding a quick bike made me more restrained than I’d thought, but it could have worked out different.

Your wife’s obs may or may not be a problem, being on a bike imo feels very different to being in a car, you’re more engaged with your surroundings, there’s not many oblivious motorcyclists.

Agree with the comment about kit btw- much more so than pushbikes in fact. It took me a long time to build up my stuff til it was all how I wanted and I reckon it cost more than the bike did in the end.

Denis99
    Free Member

Yes.

You have to follow your passions, do it.

I have been riding motorbikes on and off (family commitments and lack of undos stopped me when the kids were young).

Rubber_Buccaneer

Tricky. I love bikes and have ridden on the roads since I was sixteen (forty six now) and done track days etc but I know there are risks and for that reason I say its your choice entirely.

imnotverygood

Ex motorbike courier here. I never encourage people to ride a bike, largely because it is very easy to get yourself into deep, deep trouble on a motorbike. I would not like to have someone else on my conscience. If you trust yourself to do it, then do it, but don’t take anyone else’s advice on the matter. Make an honest appraisal of your skills and abilities before taking the plunge.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Ignore the negativity? I would think that knowing people who have died riding motorbikes is more than enough reason for negativity.

Every time you go out on a motorbike you have to accept you might not come home again, not something you would ever think about when going out in your car.

Go green laning, all the thrills of the motorbike without running the risk of being killed by some div texting or facebooking while driving.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Driving a car is still a risk just not as much of one. Trains planes and ships even less. Everyone draws their line in a different place.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Riding a motorcycle makes you feel alive, possibly more so than anything else.

The thing you’ve got to get your head around is; it’s not if you’re going to fall off, it’s when you’re going to fall off. If you can get you head around this and are prepared to accept the consequences then ride and enjoy the buzz.

Northwind

mitsumonkey – Member

Every time you go out on a motorbike you have to accept you might not come home again, not something you would ever think about when going out in your car.

You’re more likely to be killed on a bike than in a car. But the likelihood of having an accident on any given ride is still bugger all- it’s just a higher level of bugger all.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Best thing I ever did was get my bike license. Accept there’s an element of risk and do all you can to reduce it.

I.e. Further training, riding within your limits, investing in proper quality kit (and WEARING IT ALL THE TIME!!!) and keep your wits about you.

Riding a bike makes you a hugely more observant road user, and you do develop a bit of a sixth sense to other idiots on the road.

Ride like a bellend wearing jeans and a hoody and yeah, you’re very likely to become a statistic, but for all the unfortunate souls that Mitsumonkey describes, there are many, many others that ride for the sheer enjoyment it brings and come home safe and sound every time.

Do your CBT, 1 days training, and make up your own mind,

oldschool

Do your CBT and then a 4/5 days course, it’ll give you a good idea of what being on a bike is about, rather than an hour a week or thereabouts.
    I’m actually picking up my new toy tomorrow.

I’ll be like a kid on Christmas Eve in bed tonight.

jonnyseven

Yes.
    One of the best things I ever did.
    But like Northwind says being able to do this and ride push bikes is a tough call – in my case MTB’s won.
    I miss having a motorbike but it would sit waiting to be used for weeks at a time if I still had one.
    Try it though, unlikely you will regret it.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

**** yea!

Ignore all the keyboard warriors who haven’t tried it but tell you not to. I started motorcycling late (in my 30’s), I just wish I had started earlier.
    Everyone should be taught to ride a motorbike – the standard of driving would go up immeasurably.

Do it!

br
    Free Member

Ex motorbike courier here. I never encourage people to ride a bike, largely because it is very easy to get yourself into deep, deep trouble on a motorbike. I would not like to have someone else on my conscience. If you trust yourself to do it, then do it, but don’t take anyone else’s advice on the matter. Make an honest appraisal of your skills and abilities before taking the plunge.

This.

I rode from 16 to 48 and the only reason I don’t have a bike at the moment is I don’t need one – when I discovered MTBing I found that I only used my bike for commuting (in and around the SE), rather than just riding. Where I live now there just isn’t the traffic to justify needing one.

And for all the folk who seem to know folk killed/maimed on bikes, I’ve never known anyone.

jota180
    Free Member

mitsumonkey – Member

Don’t be so **** melodramatic, no one ever thinks that, purely because it’s very (very,very) unlikely

irc

You’re more likely to be killed on a bike than in a car. But the likelihood of having an accident on any given ride is still bugger all- it’s just a higher level of bugger all.

Bugger all higher on any one ride but over a few years of riding 38 times higher than a car occupant. Motorcyclists are 1% of traffic and 19% of deaths. More than bugger all difference.

http://think.direct.gov.uk/motorcycles.html

joepose
    Free Member

Its a definite from me.
    Step by step though, get your training and test out of the way first.
    That will open your eyes to a whole new world and you will learn how to drive properly. In my ideal world everybody would take their bike test before they do the car test. Only bikers will understand that and they will all agree.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Melodramatic, I like it, I may join RADA with that commendation.
    Anyway,
    I’ve ridden motorbikes mainly off road.
    Been on the back of motorbikes at 120mph+ on the road in my youth. It’s exhilarating, bloody awesome, but not for me though now I’m a dad.

Anyway it’s up to the op at the end of the day they just asked our opinion and that’s mine what with the guy I know getting killed on his motorbike last Friday.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve ridden motorbikes mainly off road.
    Been on the back of motorbikes at 120mph+ on the road in my youth. It’s exhilarating, bloody awesome, but not for me though now I’m a dad.

You should have mentioned you were an expert

jimjam
    Free Member

I avoided riding a bicycle on the road for years, as I don’t have the temperament for it. But for the best park of a year I did about 150 miles a week in city traffic. Really opened my eyes to just how shit and inattentive a lot of drivers were.

I’d still love a supermoto or some kind of enduro bike but the idea of a minor disagreement with a car is scary, and having messed about with motos off road, as exciting as they are mtb is an equally exhilarating and purer experience.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

mitsumonkey – Member
    I love the look of them but too many idiot car drivers on the road ready to kill you in my opinion.
    So no.

A chap down the road bought his wife a motorbike for her 40th, sadly and tragically she didn’t make 41.
    A bloke I used to drink with in the pub was killed on his motorbike a week last Friday.
    My mate accidentally ran over and killed a motorcyclist who was going too fast, the biker tried a crazy overtaking manoeuvre, got catapulted off and ended up with his head underneath the wheels of said friends car.
    My dad was knocked off his motorbike twice by shite drivers before he gave it up.
    Shall I go on?

Yawn. Heard endless tales of woe since I started riding motorbikes in the early 80’s. It’s tedious and predictable.

Funnily enough, people die before their time for many reasons, not just motorbikes.

Motorbikes provide a ridiculous amount of pleasure, but there’s a big risk involved too. Weigh it up and make your decision. I can’t see myself giving them up though.

pedropete

Yes you really should try it. I’ve ridden bikes for the last 30 years or so & really can’t imagine life without a motorbike .
    Surrey based you say? Shameless plug for my mate Andy who runs AJH Surrey motorcycle training. He’s good.

CBT, Direct Access, A1, A2, Motorcycle training school Surrey

siwhite
    Free Member

I rode for 3 years, purely inspired by Long Way Round. Even ended up with an R122GSA. Absolutely loved it, but really dangerous. I was a traffic cop at the time – every bike RTC I attended there was a factor that I convinced myself that ‘I wouldn’t have done in the circumstances’ – excess speed, poor positioning etc. Eventually I went to a collision where the I wouldn’t have done much differently, which rather killed my enthusiasm (excuse the poor pun).

Don’t get me wrong – I loved riding and was completely passionate about it. Fine if you are free of dependants – I’d not think seriously about riding with bairns on the scene (as we hope to have next year).

Sorry if this puts you off – just my experiences.

Northwind

irc – Member

Bugger all higher on any one ride but over a few years of riding 38 times higher than a car occupant. Motorcyclists are 1% of traffic and 19% of deaths.

But still rare. “38 times more likely” sounds terrible but it’s still extremely unlikely, just like it’s extremely unlikely you’ll die in a car crash- something like .25%, you’re more likely to die of motor neurone disease. “X times more likely” is just not a very good way to understand risk. Or rather, a good way to misunderstand it

Here’s a better one- in the UK, 125 motorcyclists die per billion miles travelled. How many million miles do you expect to ride each year?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Of course riding motorbikes increases your chance of serious injury or death over a life spent in front of the TV, in the office, and driving everywhere.

So does road cycling.

So does horse riding.

So do an awful lot of things that give you a serious buzz and (importantly) make you feel alive and love life.

Weigh it all up, make your choice, but ignore the people who feel the need to throw in (possibly spurious, I’ve been around motorcyclists all my adult life and only known two killed. Known plenty died young through cancer, heart problems etc) tales of death or destruction. Get trained, get advanced training once you have a licence, never stop learning, treat your bike with respect, and get a crowbar to prise that grin off your face 🙂

scotroutes

Do it.

I rode motorcycles for years – commuting, camping, touring across Europe. I met some really great folk and had a fantastic time. It was much later that I “discovered” cycling and that’s what’s stopped me getting another motorbike; that I’d likely spend my free time on a push bike instead.

Is it “relatively” unsafe? I guess it is depending upon what you compare it to but a lot of that is in your own hands. Handling skill, reading the road, observation, all of these things will help you to stay a safe rider and knowing this in advance you can prepare for it.

hora
    Free Member

Off road? Yes

On road **** right off.

On that one off chance another car crashes into my car- I could possibly walk away.

On a bike- that same one off will be bad news. Very bad news.

zippykona

Another thumbs up for AJH Surrey motorbike training here.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Do it! Get your cbt booked and see how you get on then you have the option of getting a 125cc for 12 months or so or you can go on and do your Direct Access (full licence for big bikes)
    Do not do your direct Access and go out and Buy a 180 Bhp 1000 Sports bike.
    If you do your direct access find yourself something Learner friendly second hand like a Suzuki Bandit 600 or one of the other Japanese Naked Middleweights and get some experience under your belt.

I’ve been riding 11 years now, 6 years with a full licence 5 years on various 125’s.
    I ride daily apart from in snow, ice and extremely windy days. I ride a Suzuki GSR 600 from April till October and then a Honda CBF 125 the rest of the time.

It does have a element of danger but then again so does road cycling and mountain biking. If you ride defensively and expect the unexpected you should avoid any accidents. But the benefits for me are, cheap insurance, a feeling of freedom and the amazing feeling of acceleration even from a little 125 when you wind them on. Its hard to explain in words the enjoyment they bring, you just have to try it. Driving a car is dull in comparison.

The bad points, you get cold in winter, higher risk of injury IF you have an accident and the learning curve is steeper than driving a car. And also the safety equipment is expensive. I have low range Spada Textile jacket and pants (£370) RST Leathers (£200) Sidi Boots (£170) RST Summer Gloves (£40) Spada winter gloves (£50) Shark Helmet (£200)
    You can get cheaper and more expensive but don’t forget to factor in the above with any bike purchase.

Tyre replacement and servicing is more frequent than on a car.
    Every 5,000 miles on the Suzuki (£100) Every 3,000 miles on the CBF 125 (£50) and tyres £200 a year on the Suzuki and £150 a year on the CBF 125.

But the above prices are because I ride nearly every day of the year.

Accident wise I have had two serious, One where I suffered a fractured Neck of Femur and the most recent 2013 Fractured fibula and knee damage. One none fault and the most recent my faulty (too much throttle for frosty conditions)

Dropped my bike once which again was my fault, trying to do a U Turn on a hill and fell over in slow motion.

I will continue to ride motorbikes till it isn’t physically possible to ride one anymore. I love it, and my mates love it. Infact I have met some great mates through the love of motorcycling, also lost some great mates due to motorcycling. But I won’t give up till I have to.

Try it you’ll either love it or completely hate it. But a lot of my motorcycling friends are die hard Mountain bikers and/or road cyclists. It must be the whole two wheeled thing.

shifter
    Free Member

One where I suffered a fractured Neck of Femur

I’m sure I’ve seen your x-rays recently.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Should I try motor biking?’ is closed to new replies.