Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Should I have been charging my lights
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve not used my L&M Seca Race since November. And it’s just occured to me that they might die from lack of use?

CHB

Yes, every three months or so for me. Am sure smudge will be along with a definitive answer.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

It depends on the battery and charger. Li likes to be kept on charge but only if you have an ‘intelligent’ charger that reduces the charge to small pulses to keep it topped up, otherwise once every couple of months will keep it in good shape.

jacko54321
    Free Member

my light has broke recently, i got if drom DX and was really good until i didnt use it for 4 month, i charged it up and it was working fine then all of a suden the light died, the bulb is on but its super dull, i have re-charged the battery with no sucses, anyone clever enough to whats wrong?

oldgit
    Free Member

Bugger. Fingers crossed then.

aracer
    Free Member

Li likes to be kept on charge

No. It’s actually perfectly happy to be put in storage part charged – which is better than being stored fully charged or fully empty. If you want them permanently fully charged it doesn’t do that much harm to keep them on low pulse charge, but it’s a daft thing to do if you’re just storing.

I’ve been using LiIon for lights for almost 10 years – always just leave them uncharged for months at a time.

thepodge
    Free Member

jacko54321 – my light has broke recently, i got if drom DX and was really good until i didnt use it for 4 month, i charged it up and it was working fine then all of a suden the light died, the bulb is on but its super dull, i have re-charged the battery with no sucses, anyone clever enough to whats wrong?

I have a similar thing with one of my DX lights. If i run it on full beam it often goes really dim until I switch it off and on again. It can get very annoying.

rustler
    Free Member

No issues with my pair of DX torches & half dozen cells over the last 2 years. Being torches they get regular non-biking use anyway, camping, DIY etc.

Del

Li should be stored partly charged ( or partly discharged, if you prefer 😀 ) in the cool. Nimh should be stored fully charged in the warm.

jacko54321
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhzXh3xVWKk[/video]

thats the light, ive tried turning it on and off recharging the battery, dont know what to do

z1ppy

Jacko, mine went the same it was the battery @ fault. Replaced the battery all is fine now, though I did have a couple of m8’s with sets so was able to test this theory before buying a new battery.

Luminous
    Free Member

When you lay up your kit.

Store your Li-Ion batts at around 40% charge and “top up” every 3 to 6 months.

Different makes of cell and PCB will mean this varies.

The batteries I’ve had from Smudge are of decent quality so if properly looked after will last well. IME.

Drain currents appear to effect battery performance life too. Lights drawing high currents for sustained periods may reduce the performance life of the battery.

🙂

I asked a similar question a while ago and got some helpful replies.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recharging-li-ion-li-po-batteries

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Should I have been charging my lights’ is closed to new replies.