Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Should I get an iPhone?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Want to use the internet on my phone so looking at the iPhone or the new Blackberry Bold 9700?

What do you reckon?

samuri
    Free Member

I'd say the iphone would be the better device from my experiences. They are absolutely superb.

jam-bo

Yes

GrahamS

Not tried the Blackberry Bold myself, but a good mate has gone from Blackberry to iPhone and hasn't looked back.

I think Blackberrys only really win out when they have corporate support (i.e. your IT department has a blackberry server).

Davy
    Free Member

By getting a iphone you will instantly become a bit of a tw*t.

You will no longer refer to it as a phone, and you will spend more and more time buying and playing with pointless applications, until your actual human interactions will dwindle to such an extent that you no longer talk to people on your phone, thus rendering it obsolete.

You will then find that you no longer need it for apps, as your computer already does everything the phone can do. You won't need it to be mobile because you no longer have any friends to go out with, and your employer will have sacked you for spending your whole working day playing with your toy.

The fashionistas will think you look cool in an uber-geek-chic kinda way though.

Or maybe I'm just cynical. 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

What Graham S said. I reckon for the internet, iPhone's definitely tops

geoffj

I have a Blackberry Pearl and iPhone. The iPhone is better for internet & email, but the Blackberry is better for calls.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Wont be using it for work.

Purly texting, phoning, interneting.

My main worry about the iPhone is the durability and battery life.

Wouldn't be paying the extra £90 for the "s" either

clubber
    Free Member

Battery life is pretty poor (just about a day on a full charge for me) on the iphone though I don't think it's a lot worse than the N95 8GB I had before.

Durability – well mine's been ok until now though as of today the headphone won't plug in :twisted:. My Dad's one has been back three times. No great I reckon on that front.

grumm
    Free Member

What's worse, people with iPhones enjoying their cool gadget, or people without them (who probably secretly want one) endlessly whining about them?

I think they are great (don't own one though) with a few silly limitations. Is it right that you can't just send a file to another phone/pc via bluetooth without syncing etc?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I bought my GF an iPhone and instantly moved myself yet another place down her list of priorities. She loves the damn thing. TBH I have had a play with it and I covert hers. I will be getting one when my contract comes up for renewal.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I really like my iPhone and my wife, never before bothered with technology, is now considering getting one as she finds it so easy to use.

EDIT: Mr P – AHA!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Battery life is pretty poor (just about a day on a full charge for me) on the iphone though I don't think it's a lot worse than the N95 8GB I had before.

Are you using GPS a lot? Or loads of web browsing? If not, that's pretty shocking – I get better than that on my N95, and I use the GPS for 2 hours every day (on the commute).

iPhone is going to be a mile better than any blackberry, just because of the support from other people for it – pretty much no-one except boring corporate developers makes interesting stuff for blackberry.

The only other thing worth considering if you want an internet mobile is an Android Phone of some kind (G2 / HTC Hero etc). The Android App Store thing is also growing and has a decent quantity of developers working on things for it. For example Viewranger mapping (GPS tracking + OS maps for mountain biking and hiking) is going to come out on Android at some point soon, and I think maybe iPhone, but I'm guessing there is no chance of it coming out on the other newish mobile platforms like Blackberry and Palm.

Joe

LenHankie

What Davy said. The iphone is a lovely bit of kit, but it does seem they begin to take over their owners lives.

clubber
    Free Member

joe – yes, plenty of web browsing. I rarely do any browing on any of the 'proper' computers at home now.

oddjob
    Free Member

Get the iphone, I love mine.

cp

they are very good. i refer to mine as a phone, even though it's way more than that. as a phone, i think they are great too. what does a blackberry do that an iphone doesn't when speaking on a phone?

visual voice mail is excellent too (not sure if you get this on Orange).

mine is:-

MP3 player
    radio (wonder radio app – listening to radio on it at the mo, or when docked to hi fi at home)
    diary
    internet when out and about
    Sat Nav
    email when out and about/abroad
    ebay, train times, etc…

and the interface is sooooo good!

grumm
    Free Member

joe – yes, plenty of web browsing.

Don't think you can really complain too much about the battery only lasting a day if you are browsing the net all day.

GrahamS

My main worry about the iPhone is the durability and battery life.

Durability has been fine on mine. Survived been sat on at least once a day when i forget it is in my back pocket and it has been snowboarding with me and not suffered any ill effects.

Battery life is pants though – but that's mainly because you end up using it way more than you use a "normal" phone.

Wouldn't be paying the extra £90 for the "s" either

You should. It's much better. (I upgraded from the 3G to the 3Gs. Wife has my old 3G and it is quite noticeably slower). Plus the camera is better and the compass is useful for sat nav (not to mention augmented reality stuff).

Is it right that you can't just send a file to another phone/pc via bluetooth without syncing etc?

There's an app for that. Several in fact. But yeah, you're right – you can't just decide to send someone your entire Backstreet Boys collection over Bluetooth. Apple discourage that for some reason.

Worse still you'll be judged by tw*ts that think that the technology you use somehow defines you as a person. The kind of tw*ts for whom being fashionable is so desperately important that they will strenuously avoid anything popular. 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

Don't think you can really complain too much about the battery only lasting a day if you are browsing the net all day.

I'm not browsing all day – mostly in the evening. Other phones do have better battery life. Seems reasonable enough to comment on it (not complain, I knew it wasn't great when I bought it).

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Anyone know when the next version is likely to be announced? I'm looking at an iPhone 3GS but as it's been out for a few months, there's bound to be a better/faster etc one on the way.

MRanger156
    Free Member

June apparently

GrahamS

Anyone know when the next version is likely to be announced?

http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Buyer's_Guide

jam-bo

wont be until the summer. Just about when I come out of contract on my 3G…

bri-72

I was in the anti iPhone camp but decided at last minute to get one having had a shot of the GFs. So glad opted for it over nokia N97 which IMO is a poor substitute. Go 3gs it's quicker, camera better, and battery life supposed to be better. Only gripe, a minor one is how the hell can't you use your music library for ringtones. Daft.

Sent using Bri's iPhone :op

TooTall
    Free Member

If you get one, can you disable the special alarm that sounds every 2 minutes and makes iphone owners take them out to ensure we all know they have an iphone?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Davy you're a fool. My life wouldn't be complete without friends and colleagues who own iphones telling me all about the 'how much toilet paper will that sh1t require' app.

CountZero

My iPhone contract runs out in May…
    There is one app that has popped up recently, which may be of interest to those who communicate a lot with other iPhone owners. It's called Whatsapp, (stupid name), and there's a similar one called Ping. Basically you can text other iPhones anywhere in the world free that have that app, via your contacts list. Ping uses a username system. A workmate who's just got back with his ex was moaning about the extra cost all the txts were adding, so I suggested he try it. He's chuffed to bits with it, and it seems you can call from it as well. It's like an IM system, but uses the Apple visual mail style layout.
    It's worth getting ereader and Stanza and downloading ebooks as well, the iPhone display is good for that.
    Regarding the OS mapping, I understand ViewRanger are developing for other platforms as well as Symbian, and they were advertising for an App store developer, but that may become moot if the OS open up their digital maps for free, like the USGS, so there may be a bunch of apps appear that allow usage of free OS maps. The ViewRanger App would offer all the extra bells and whistles, though.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

HTC Hero – much better than an iphone or a Blackberry.

nickname
    Free Member

You could check out some of the Android phones. Got my HTC Hero a few days ago and not been off it since, love it 🙂

CountZero

Worse still you'll be judged by tw*ts that think that the technology you use somehow defines you as a person. The kind of tw*ts for whom being fashionable is so desperately important that they will strenuously avoid anything popular.

How very, very true. That puts it much better than I ever could. I'm keeping that quote for future use, if it's ok with you? 8)

z1ppy

I think Blackberrys only really win out when they have corporate support (i.e. your IT department has a blackberry server).

Really have you used a blackberry server services? Seemingly biggest pile of poo available.
    My iphone happily retrieve my work email (sad I know) from our webmail system and so if emails up, so my phones email… unlike our blackberry server.

TooTall
    Free Member

Worse still you'll be judged by tw*ts that think that the technology you use somehow defines you as a person. The kind of tw*ts for whom being fashionable is so desperately important that they will strenuously avoid anything popular.

How very, very true. That puts it much better than I ever could. I'm keeping that quote for future use, if it's ok with you?

You mean you've not got the SmugApp to keep that for you? 🙄

GrahamS

There were actually a couple of nice articles about the 'droid on "iPhone Therefore I Blog":

Droid: Is it an iPhone killer?

Confessions of a Droid switcher

Sounds pretty good.

higgo
    Free Member

My mate's just got one. I can't get over the size of the thing.

I think I've still got an old Nokia 1610 around somewhere – might take it to the pub Friday evening and compare.

DudleyPoyson
    Free Member

while the new android phones are looking good since android 2.0 has come out, I still think that it's a year or so away from being able to compete with the iPhone.

Get an iPhone, jailbreak it (www.blackra1n.com) and then have access to all the apps you could ever want.

Battery life as already said seems crap until you realise how much you're actually using the damn thing.

There are a load of knobends with iPhones, just like everything else, (the bloke I sit opposite is particularly bad at taking it out for no reason to tell someone how great it is) however the majority just appreciate what they do and the reason they're seen so much is not because people want to show off, but because they're extremely handy (or not) and people are using them more than other phones.

It really does change the way you use a mobile phone (as it's much more than a phone).

Personally I'd get the 3GS, as when you put it next to a 3G the apps seem so much slower. Depends on how much you think you 're going to use the additional apps (other than the phone\ipod etc).

GrahamS

You mean you've not got the SmugApp to keep that for you?

Likewise I have no idea why iPhone owners would appear smug – we didn't design it, we didn't build it, we just bought it. Anyone can do this – there is nothing to be "smug" about.

I think more likely is that enthusiasm for a good product is mistaken for smugness.

If I'm using my iPhone on the train opposite you then I promise I'm not doing it to show off or feel smug – I'm doing it to entertain myself on the train journey.

CountZero

You mean you've not got the SmugApp to keep that for you?

I have, actually. It's called 'Notes', you know, for keeping notes in?
    I'm not 'smug' about it, I frankly couldn't give a toss about other people's opinions; when I want their opinion, I'll give it to them. I'm enthusiastic about its capabilities as a useful devise, in the same way I was enthusiastic about my Lumix TZ3 when I bought it.

TooTall
    Free Member

my work in this thread is done.

*smug*

grantway
    Free Member

Really cant see the point of having an Iphone unless
    your in graphic design or useing the Apple computer on a
    work/professional level.
    The tariff for these are stupid and there are other mobiles that
    near equal it for half the price.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Should I get an iPhone?’ is closed to new replies.