Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Should I buy a van…. or am I kidding myself?
  • DrP

Like many, I like the idea i’d get the most out of a van..
    It would be a ‘second vehicle’ – an octavia currently being our second vehicle.

I loke the octy – stick bikes on roof, drive places. It’s nice inside, powerful, easy to drive as a car and loaded up.

I’ve been looking at vans – I’ll admit it’s a ‘lifestyle thing’ rather than an ‘I need a van’.
    I like the idea of having a bigger vehicle to sit in for biking event – changing, etc etc.
    Can stick bikes in and they’re safer than the roof.

I like the idea that I’d convert it into a day/camper-lite and take the family out in it.
    I’m really not sure that’ll happen..

It would be fun to drive a few mates to biking events and have a van as a base – however, we were fine at Ard Rock in teh octy and a big tent.

The van I’ve looked at is 4 years older (53 plate) than the octy, and 125k miles.
    It’s a tidy example, but IS basically a ply lined pannel van.

I’d be looking at:
    £1k+ for crash rated rock’n’roll bed
    £a few hundred to replace the front row of seats with captain seats (I susepct)…

Hmmm…My ehart says buy a van…my head says “It’s not as practical as the octy, and you’ll only prefer the van over that 20% of the time….

Opinions….!!!

DrP

stevextc
    Free Member

Following with interest … especially as my car is a saloon …
    I’m looking more at day/weekend than week long and happy to take a tent as well… but it would make getting the bikes out a lot simpler each weekend.. and potentially allow more bikes to be carried ..

b45her
    Free Member

do it, i’ve owned nothing but vans for the last 10 years, once you’ve had a van you realize just how impractical cars are even if your not a biker.

DrP

As stevexc above…

It’s a panel van no air con..
    I’d take the bulkhead out and stick in a second row of seats…
    I’d use it for sleeping in MYSELF, maybe not the wife and kids..

BUT…. do I really get away enough MYSELF to justify it..will I get away more if I had it..??

Whe going away with teh family..would I use a noisy van over the posh Skoda yeti (1st car)…..

Basically, I WANT a van, but not sure if it’s sensible..

I’d have to get rid of the octavia. Which leaves me with a project on my drive if I get the van!

DrP

cp

BUT…. do I really get away enough MYSELF to justify it..will I get away more if I had it..??

only one way to find out. Sell it on if it’s not for you. You don’t find out by pondering on the internet 🙂

CheesybeanZ

It’s a panel van no air con.

As a van owner especially for your rear passengers air conditioning is a must have .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only bought one as we both changed jobs, and went from needing one vehicle to 2, didn’t really see the point of another car when I could have a van instead.

I too went for the idea of converting and taking the family away, but tbh I soon realised this was a pipe dream and none of us really fancied it, so quickly sold the T5 and bought a van that is far more suited to my needs, a wee caddy.

It suits me perfectly as it’s only ever me, or me and our only child in there, anytime 3 of us are going anywhere we’ll take the car.

It’s big enough for what I need – slept in there at ard rock, with the bike in there too, and all my food and kit for the weekend. I’m 6’2″ and with seats fwd a single mattress is comfy as hell in there – and I never heard those bells all you campers were moaning about!…

franksinatra

Similar situation here. Got family of 5 and a dog and our s-max is regularly overflowing. But, I also do relatively long journeys once a month and the s-max is great for eating up the miles. It’s also the case that for 90% of the time the s-max is a perfect vehicle for our needs

wwaswas

I’d check the taxation class/construction and use regs/passenger limits/insurance implications for having a vehicle registered as a van being used with rear seats.

Before you buy – count the number of times in the past few years you’d have been able to go away and sleep in it (with our without the family). I don;t think you’re currently a ‘camping family’ for your hols so it might get limited use in that respect?

If it’s basically going to end up ferry you and a bike to various locations in a sussex to ride once every few weeks it might be a significant expense v just stickign with the car?

chakaping
    Free Member

If you think the estate car is useful, wait til you’ve got a van.

Personally I’d spend more on the van if looking to add expensive modifications.

If for family day trips or bike trips where you would sleep, the RnR bed makes a lot of sense. I’d forget about the captain seats though.

Personally I don’t sleep in my van and a standard issue crew cab Vivaro is great for bike trips and family use. Takes six people for days out with the kids too.

curto80
    Free Member

Family + bikes = van. It’s just basic maths 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at vans – I’ll admit it’s a ‘lifestyle thing’ rather than an ‘I need a van’.
    I like the idea of having a bigger vehicle to sit in for biking event – changing, etc etc.
    Can stick bikes in and they’re safer than the roof.

Having had average vans, and nice, new vans these at the biggest selling points.

The downside is, they are literally sh*t to drive, even compared to a 12 year old VW Passat, the levels of spec are horrendous & generally arn’t a nice place to be.

The only van i’ve been in recently where I was impressed was a brand spanking new T6 with all the bells & whistles on it. Trouble is, it was £50k.

And it still drove as badly as a £10k T5. Which compared to a £10k F10 5 series estate, well, you can’t.

A T5 is a nice drive compared to nearly every other van i’ve been in.

Every time I think it’s a great idea when it rains and i’m riding, or at an event. Then I remember I actually have to drive it there too.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Been there, done that….

Back in a large estate car.
    Vans are not as nice to drive. There not as economical or comfortable as cars
    It soon became a pain having a van (T5, then a Caddy)
    Pros and cons I’m afraid.
    Basically, it wasn’t worth driving around everyday in a van, in order to have something to sleep in twice a year!

Had a caravan too, that was a pain.

davosaurusrex

Four of us went to Winterberg in Germany in a povvo spec LWB converted T5 last summer. No A/C. It was a hot day but when we arrived all four of us had t-shirts literally drenched with sweat and the rest wasn’t much better. He loves it but admits the running costs are horrendous. No way would I have a van without A/C, it was miserable.

timidwheeler

I spent years talking myself out of buying a van. In the end I reminded myself that I could always sell it on if I wasn’t happy with it. It’s a second-hand van not a marriage.

As it happens I have fallen in love with it. we have started converting it to our specification and it has been brilliant.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/yet-another-van-conversion-thread

If anyone is interested.

bazzer
    Free Member

Well for 3 years I had a BMW 135i and a Renault Trafic van. I no longer have a BMW 135i but still have a trafic van.

I find it quite comfy and low stress on long drives. I do have a panel van though so its not as noisy as it has a bulk head.

It has aircon, DAB radio. TomTom Satnav, auto lights, auto wipers as well as reversing camera/sensors.

Its no more stress than driving a car. However its brilliant for the bikes and also good when I do trackdays with my motorbike.

I have to admit I have never slept in it though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Basically, it wasn’t worth driving around everyday in a van, in order to have something to sleep in twice a year!

See, that’s the point, right there – too many people try to shoehorn a van into their life, instead of getting a van when they actually need one – buying a van for kipping in when you only do it twice a year? madness, but this surely isn’t an epiphany? you must’ve known how many nights a year you were gonna use it?.

I don’t think I’d be without one now, but if my circumstances changed then I’d get rid, pointless trying to make things fit.

DrP

I’d check the taxation class/construction and use regs/passenger limits/insurance implications for having a vehicle registered as a van being used with rear seats.

Before you buy – count the number of times in the past few years you’d have been able to go away and sleep in it (with our without the family). I don;t think you’re currently a ‘camping family’ for your hols so it might get limited use in that respect?

If it’s basically going to end up ferry you and a bike to various locations in a sussex to ride once every few weeks it might be a significant expense v just stickign with the car

I think you’re right…

I test drove the van and it was fun, and I imagined myself busying away converting it on teh drive, wife watching on looking lovingly at me witha cup of tea in her hand ready to hand it over, kids smiling at their father beavering away…
    Then I remembered we’ve barely enough time to put the washing away, if it’s not pokemon or paw patrol the kids aren’t interested, and in reality, thinking baout driving a few hundred miles in a hot sweaty van without AC is a bit off putting…

I think i’ll pass for now.. it woud be a shame to buy a £1700 van, drop another 2-3 on it’s innards, only fo the £1700 van die…

DrP

EDIT – nobeer has it..i’m trying to shoehorn an idea in!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds like a sensible decision, if you don’t have the time, it’s pointless.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You should get a van like this……

Close enough to a real ambulance to fool the unwary into thinking you might be a real Doctor.

peekay

How about making the car more suited to sleeping in as a trial of how much benefit you would get from the van?
    Make some insulating window covers for the Octavia using sleeping mats, and put put a single air bed in the boot. Can then use it instead of a tent for the occasional solo overnight trip. Shelter under the boot lid if getting changed in the rain. Lash a tarp to the boot and use two poles and guys to extend the shelter of needed.
    Not as spacious as the van, but much cheaper and you get to keep the conformable car and not gamble on a potentially knackered van until you figure out if you want it for load lugging or sleeping.

Paul-B

I think you’re right…

I test drove the van and it was fun, and I imagined myself busying away converting it on teh drive, wife watching on looking lovingly at me witha cup of tea in her hand ready to hand it over, kids smiling at their father beavering away…
    Then I remembered we’ve barely enough time to put the washing away, if it’s not pokemon or paw patrol the kids aren’t interested, and in reality, thinking baout driving a few hundred miles in a hot sweaty van without AC is a bit off putting…

I think i’ll pass for now.. it woud be a shame to buy a £1700 van, drop another 2-3 on it’s innards, only fo the £1700 van die…

DrP

This pretty much happened with my only flirtation with vans. Bought a T4, it was a P.O.S. The final straw was when the crank pulley fell off and lunched the engine. Total money pit so I cut it loose before things got out of control.
    I was considering getting a T5 now I’ve got a more healthy budget but realistically time/family constraints mean that at best I’ll have a rattly old tin box on wheels that I’ll hate driving…

DrP

Thank you for the replies…
    I’ll save the money, be realistic about my life expectations, and stick with the octavia!

The funny reality – I really like sleeping in a tent!!!

DrP

Inbred456
    Free Member

I had a Scudo 2.0 jtd with steel bulkhead. I’ve never ridden as much since I sold it. Went everywhere in it, fast cheapish to run. 3 seats in the front. Do it if you want to ride more.

km79
    Free Member

I’ve been through the thought process for getting a van multiple times. I’m sure I’d use it every week to sleep in, but only one night at a time. Either a Friday night after work to get an early start in on a Saturday, or else a Saturday night if my Saturday and Sunday plans are in the same area. Can’t really see me using it for more than one night at a time, generaly for multiple night trips I’m backpacking/bikepacking with tent, or if in one area I prefer a hotel/inn/b&b room.

A van would be great for overnighting in and would require less organisation and faff, but an estate car works just fine purely for sleeping in and like above I have a tarp which covers a ‘living area’ for more space. I just couldn’t justify the extra expense of running a van, I do about 30k miles a year and like to be comfortable doing so.

simon_g

Amdro do a nice bed setup for the kombi Transporters. Proper seats for the kids, doesn’t eat up too much bike-carrying space.

They do a solo version of the Boot Jump now as well for the Berlingo and similar. Cart a bike and yourself off to somewhere, and sleep in the back with your bike securely inside.

km79
    Free Member

They do a solo version of the Boot Jump now as well for the Berlingo and similar.

£1695 for a plywood box, some cushions and a plastic tub. Holy smoke.

johnnystorm

JFDI. Wished I had ages ago. I dont miss driving a car, in fact I miss the space and view ahead. A/C? Well, my next van will have it probably but like leccy windows you soon realise that it’s nice to have but really not essential.
    Running costs are no worse than the estate car that it replaced, 40mpg isn’t too hard to achieve.

Off to France next week in it and I can’t wait.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Makes sure you get one with stickers on the side, they make you look awsome, and people will think you are a sponsored rider.

dmorts

They do a solo version of the Boot Jump now as well for the Berlingo and similar.

£1695 for a plywood box, some cushions and a plastic tub. Holy smoke.[/quote]

It depends where you’re coming from. There’s a VW T5 Kombi version for the same price which when compared to the costs of fully converting a van looks good value….especially if you only use it infrequently for camping.

But I agree taking that Berlingo one at face value, it does look pretty expensive for a box with a folding out bit!

matt_outandabout

I also take an intake of breath over those costs, however…
    Bootjump and flip bed + good driveaway awning (e.g. Vaude) + a heater = awesome, quick camp set up for two, for van+ less than £2.5k.

Try a ‘proper’ small camper conversion for that money…

kayla1
    Free Member

We JFDI a couple of weeks ago after months of umming and ahhing. £1700 2003 lowish mileage MWB Ducato kind of already half converted with 12V lights and 240V sockets. OH spent a few days rearranging the back so we can get the bikes in (wheels on!) while we sleep and still have space to stand up and make a cuppa. I’m holding off on advertising our Doblo properly until it’s proved itself but the one overnight trip we’ve done was loads comfier than if we’d been in the Doblo. We don’t have kids though so it only has to accommodate the pair of us.

a11y

Thank you for the replies…
    I’ll save the money, be realistic about my life expectations, and stick with the octavia!

The funny reality – I really like sleeping in a tent!!!

DrP
    Always worth questioning your expectations though. We’ve always had a van in family for past 10 years, initially biking/camping use but been perfect for family days out since they arrived. Currently vanless after selling ours in April and its replacement not due for another few weeks, and I’m really missing it. OK fair enough my car (a Mini) isn’t as ideal for MTBing trips as an Octy estate, but the replacement van can’t come soon enough.

beano68
    Free Member

I always liked my car, but it was impractical for my needs, going away at weekends with the wife and bike and the dog and setting up in the dark and mostly in the rain !

Recently bought a 63 plate LWB Renault traffic panel van and now converted it to a day van with a separate garage in the rear and I’d now never go back to a car

It’s perfect for going to race events, just rocking up and thats it !.

Now doing more trips away to the lakes, its been remapped which makes it drive nicer and more economical

Converting a van is cheap enough if you do it all yourself and it also makes a nice project 😉

simon_g

£1695 for a plywood box, some cushions and a plastic tub. Holy smoke.

Yeah, you could DIY something similar for less and plenty of people have. Their package does include though a £200 stove, a full set of blackout curtains, proper Fiamma table thing (not cheap), etc. Plus the premium of just having a well thought out thing delivered that you can chuck in the back and go riding, rather than spending a couple of weekends cutting plywood and sewing cushions.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve got a Transit crew cab, had it over 6 years so the longest I’ve had any vehicle. It’s the short wheelbase, used to get full bikes in length-ways but the way bikes have grown in length they have to go diagonally now or front wheels off. I’ve slept in the back seats plenty of times with an airbed fitting in the space, been great in all conditions albeit slightly cold in a snowy Glencoe with no insulation but not unbearable with a hat on. It’s getting on in age now and showing a lot of rust but I just can’t get rid of it until I find a replacement or it fails an MOT disastrously.

Did a trip to the Alps the other week, me and my cousin in his medium wheel base crew cab Trafic from Glasgow (for him). 6 bikes fully build in the back, most of our kit packed around the bikes. Air con, cruise control, bluetooth, sat nav. It sat at the speed limit or above across the whole of the UK and France quietly and in a lot more comfort than my old Transit. Could have done the same trip for cheaper in an estate with two bikes but we had a break mid-week from the mtbs to go road biking and used the cross country bikes a couple of days too.

Once you have a van the positives seem to outweigh the negatives when regularly biking but it can become a PITA if you take time off the bike. Be prepared for higher insurance if not using for business use. Paying as much this year for me and a mate named as I was for any driver over 25 last year. If I had kids a crew cab would definitely be top of the shopping list!

Buy as good as you can afford though, there are a lot of horrors out there at the lower end of the market, how many people actually look after a works van. Really struggle to find a replacement for mine at the cheaper end of the market.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Paint it green, buy a dog called Scooby Doo and go around solving crimes in your spare time…

sssimon
    Free Member

Toyed with a van like yourself for years but could never get insurance to use it to commute as I was connected to the motor trade but not closely enough to get trade insurance.

Change of jobs earlier in the year meant that I now have a company car so used the proceeds from my old Passat and some money from an inheritance to buy a scabby old T5 shuttle. As a few others have suggested the things it opens up in the outdoors far outweigh the hassles of parking and the expected running costs.

If you want a van buy a van, if it doesn’t work out what have you lost?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Paint it green, buy a dog called Scooby Doo and go around solving crimes in your spare time…

DrP would make a great Shaggy 😀

mahalo

best thing i ever did buying my van. its only a 2 seater peugeot partner. bike goes in length ways with front wheel turned, or diagonally no problem. has racking stuffed with tools and kit, got a my little mobile jet wash, a gorilla tub full of clobber, coat hooks holding up helmets and pads etc. I’m always ready whenever the opportunity of a ride pops up…

not ideal tho with wife and 2 kids, when weve been camping or whatever ive tended to load the van and follow them in the car!! definitely go bigger next time but for the moment im happy enough.

not to mention the added convenience of having a van on the drive for other jobs too, picked up a new washer and freezer this weekend, then ferried the old ones all the packaging to the tip!! no hassles..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy a van…. or am I kidding myself?’ is closed to new replies.