Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Should I be embarrassed at…
  • albino
    Free Member

…being overtaken uphill. off-road by a fell-runner?

I was coming out of Cragg Quarry, towards Rooley Moor road and passed a fell runner doing some stretches at the footpath that cuts across to the Rooley Moor descent. Anyway I carried on past him at what I'd consider to be a fairly good pace for that type of terrain…within a couple of minutes he effortlessly cruises past me.

So…
    Am I just a bit slow?
    Did he get into "pursuit" mode?
    Or are fell runners just bloomin' quick?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'd give up biking and take up knitting if I were you. 😉

lookmanohands
    Free Member

some fell runners are bloomin quick, dont worry 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Yes – you're obviously one of those tubby MTBers who can't ride uphill.

sambob
    Free Member

Some are really quick, eg. Up ben nevis and back down sub 1:40 😯 So dont be too embarrassed. What would be embarrassing would be to get overtaken DOWNHILL by a fell runner.

aracer
    Free Member

…though actually I should point out that I can run uphill faster than I can ride on some routes, so it's not necessarily even that he was fitter than you (though I reckon on average fell runners are a huge amount fitter than tubby MTBers).

albino
    Free Member

Some are really quick, eg. Up ben nevis and back down sub 1:40 So dont be too embarrassed. What would be embarrassing would be to get overtaken DOWNHILL by a fell runner.

Ha, Yeah…then I would have to quit and take up knitting!

albino
    Free Member

…though actually I should point out that I can run uphill faster than I can ride on some routes, so it's not necessarily even that he was fitter than you (though I reckon on average fell runners are a huge amount fitter than tubby MTBers).

That's set then….tomorrow I'm going back to time The Ride VS The Run.

Thinking about it I reckon I COULD run up quicker as it's not a smooth climb by any means! Bring it on!

…..Plus if I knew he was coming up behind me I'd have put the power down!! 😀

sunkistbob
    Free Member

Hey, dont feel too bad.

I was overtaken by a road biker when I was on my old scooter back in South Africa.

It was comical 😆

Ben

takisawa2

I have been overtaken by shadows before now.

coogan
    Free Member

I couldn't give a monkeys who overtakes me going up a hill. Climbing sucks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no shame in this they will be quicker I reckon over almost all uphill off road terrain unless very smooth or you are smee. I once got overtaken by a walker and his dog..I put the hammer down and within 5 minutes I had passed him by nearly a bike length. I am not fat he was and so was his dog.

olie
    Free Member

You have to remember you are in Rossendale!

home of the best fell club in the UK

aracer
    Free Member

they will be quicker I reckon over almost all uphill off road terrain

Only if you're tubby. On not so steep climbs that you can manage 10mph up, a runner will never keep up.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It's worth remembering that the recorded for running up and down Snowdon from Llanberis is about 62 minutes. No one's going to get even vaguely close to that on a bike.

tinribz
    Free Member

Only be ashamed if he was carrying a bike on his back. Hardly fair otherwise.

Junkyard
    Free Member

On not so steep climbs that you can manage 10mph up

Sorry I did not realise the race was over a southern hill 😉

sambob
    Free Member

Rossendale, best fell club? Pah…. 😉 I once overtook nick craig going downhill………He was running though 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

Nah – was thinking about something like the ride up Jacob's Ladder. Can't you manage 10mph up there? You must be tubby.

funkynick

So it's best not to admit on here to being overtaken downhill by a number of fell runners then?

In my defence, it was rather steep and rooty and they looked like they were just throwing themselves down it in a vaguely controlled manner… me on the other hand was trying to ride down it in an uncontrolled manner! Noodly 85mm forks just didn't cut it!

This was the final drop off from the side of the golf course on the Chevin near Belper for anyone who knows it…

sambob
    Free Member

funky nick, go and get your knitting needles now. You should watch them go down a hill like ben nevis, the record downhill is something like 25 mins!!!!

andrewh
    Free Member

As someone who does both I would say it's much more about the ground itself than the steepness of the hill (grip, size of rocks, depth of bog, etc) Choose your hill and you could leave any fell runner standing. Let him choose the hill and he'll be gone so quick you didn't see which way he went.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Should I be embarrassed at…’ is closed to new replies.