Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Should a 3 year old car fail an MOT…
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

… and be unsafe to drive 😯

Mine just has… Volvo V70 with 24k on the clock!

Needs a new steering rack and some other major parts 😯

ps – never been crashed 😀

wwaswas

it shouldn’t, but they do – which is why they’ve recently decided not change it to first MOT after 4 years.

warranty job?

andydicko
    Free Member

If you’ve got a full service history with a Volvo Dealer I’d ask for some warranty goodwill.

clubber
    Free Member

Shouldn’t really. But that’s why I’ve put mine in today with a couple of weeks to go before the 3 year warranty expires. Shouldn’t you be in the same position?

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Not great on Volvo’s part. As has been said before push for a goodwill warranty. although this will depend on the mileage, if its 120k and 3 years old then hose-down your credit card in readiness!

titusrider
    Free Member

My 2 year old 32k mile alfa needs a new cambelt already, it was under tension at the 36k service (done early) 🙁

under warranty though 🙂

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Being done under warranty – and they are giving me a hire car till its done, so can’t complian!

The service manager said ‘I’m suprised something didnt break causing you to have an accident’ 😯

Glad I only have it for a few more weeks… hurry up new car….

craigxxl
    Free Member

1 in 5 cars fail their first MOT and they want to extend the period between tests from 1 to 2 years.

hora
    Free Member

Phew at least they are good. Toyota GB are known for advising customers just after the warranty period has expired. JUST after so anything that needs doing is chargeable…..

AlexSimon

I guess there’s nothing stopping you going early for an MOT so that it’s within the warranty period – I may well do that.

hora
    Free Member

Most definitely- its advisable. That way anything hi-lighted can have a claim submitted before the warranty expires.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

1 in 5 cars fail their first MOT and they want to extend the period between tests from 1 to 2 years.

Fairly meaningless figure without knowing why they failed. Blown bulb? Cut in tyre sidewall? Failed cat high emissions? Chip in windscreen? Worn wiper blade? etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good job you had an MOT then!

MOT Failure =(not always) a dangerous car fixed

andydicko
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    I guess there’s nothing stopping you going early for an MOT so that it’s within the warranty period – I may well do that.

You can take it in whenever you like, but to maximise the duration of the MOT Cert it’s best to take it in 28 days before.(MOT Certs can be forward dated by that much)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Toyota GB are known for advising customers just after the warranty period has expired. JUST after so anything that needs doing is chargeable…..

Although to be fair we took a 10 year old landcruiser to them with an intermittent fault, they kept it for 2 weeks and replaced a whole bunch of parts including the ECU but couldn’t find the fault and handed it back with no charge and apologies and a free valet. And when it was recalled for a replacement of some unimportant part it came back with a bottle of champagne.
    Eventually my father found the fault.

mrben100
    Free Member

Volvo V50 here – one of the bulbs to the rear number plate was out, turned out to be the holder unit thing-a-me-bob.

Either way = fail.

mrben100
    Free Member

Oh yes, took it from £39 to £120 – I was so happy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Volvo V50 here – one of the bulbs to the rear number plate was out, turned out to be the holder unit thing-a-me-bob.

Either way = fail.

My focus just did this, wonder if it’s a ford/volvo common part?

donsimon
    Free Member

Eventually my father found the fault.

Go on…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Crappy pot holed roads will destroy springs, dampers, suspension related bushes and possibly your steering rack. The state of the roads its no suprise they will be failing on things like these after only 3 years. Its probably got excessive play in it from some kind of worn bushes or ball joint and its easier to change the rack maybe than a different part??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Should a 3 year old car fail an MOT…’ is closed to new replies.