Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shotts mountain biking. Delusional?
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

I might find myself in lovely Shotts for a day this week. i’m looking on Bing for riding, and I’m not seeing a lot. Does anyone know of owt? Or shall I just take an orange OS map and explore the lanes around about?

Offroading
    Free Member

Shotts as in Shotts Scotland ?

stanfree
    Free Member

Oooof Shotts what a shyte hole , Still your right bang in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh and an hour and a half from the Trossachs and the Borders. As from your door there will be the some total of nowt.

Offroading
    Free Member

“As from your door there will be the some total of nowt. “

Not true. Local highlights include neds torching cars, roaming gangs, murdering druggies…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Col du Climpy, or the Pentlands might be close enough.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh dear…. Shotts is a horrible place, it’s like, well…. Scotlands’ version of Birmingham.

stanfree
    Free Member

Get yourself down the line to Carfin and don a Rangers top for a time trial being chased by young Neds.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Heatherhead plantation is to the south. Nice big open cast quarry looks like it could be fun…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

well i used to live in birmingham so that’s just fine! i’ll be getting the train there if i go.

thought about that big hill near carstairs with the nice looking zigzag tracks that i see from the train when i go south but it seems that it’s tinto hill and it ain’t much cop…

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – that’ll be Tinto but it’s some way from Shotts?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

was thinking train to carstairs, then after carstairs train to shotts, as i’ll be waiting on someone there.

stanfree
    Free Member

The only thing I’d suggest Is get the train to Curriehill and go and explore the Pentlands or head Into Glasgow and find mugdock . Other possibility If you are reliant on the choo choo Is train to Bridge Of Allan and do Dumiyat.

althepal

Strange, thought a bing would be about the only thing you’d find out that way to ride on..
    Ps, a bing is made up of the leftovers from old mine works.. Also called a slag heap.
    Suprisingly popular with mx’rs.. Found a couple at Kirky and Cambuslang that had jumps, doubles and bomb holes around them..

thegman67

Look up lanarkshire mtb club they cycle out of Strathclyde park during the week about 15-20 mins from Shotts know all the local trails great bunch of lads

MrKmkII
    Free Member

well, thanks everyone. i was hoping someone would tell me about some hidden gem, but alas no. so instead, i think i’m just gonna head to the hills tuesday and camp overnight, for my ‘big’ trip of the week…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shotts mountain biking. Delusional?’ is closed to new replies.