Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Shorty
  • hainman
    Free Member

Anyone running the Shorty and what is their thoughts??
    Is it Better/on par/worse than The Magic mary??

scaled
    Free Member

i was interested until i read 1200g

Northwind

@scaled, that’s the dh version.

And yeah, I said it all in that thread, I’m usually more ambivalent about tyres, they’re such a matter of taste, but I commend these to the house tyre threads

arogers
    Free Member

I took my first ride on one today. Instantly felt better than the MM it replaced, and usually I take a while to get a feel for tyres. Northwind knows his stuff when it comes to rubber.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The most confidence inspiring front tyre I’ve used.

Northwind

LOL at arogers, I’m just nerdy enough to be interested 😆 There’s folks on here that actually do know their tyres but they can’t be arsed talking about it

duir
    Free Member

i was interested until i read 1200g

The 2.3 EXO is about 825g and is so far proving to be Lake District proof on a hardtail.

Incredible grip on all types of surface.

mactheknife

Went to pull the trigger on one of these and Next Day Tyres are all out. Word has got out 🙁

Damn you Northwind.

Tell you something though you did convince me to try something other than Hans Dampf for a change. High Roller 2 fitted on black betty at the moment. Very very impressed.

J273
    Free Member

I need to replace my hans dampf which is my fit and forget tyre and use it all year round.

Thinking of replacing it with either the MM or shorty. Is the shorty an all year round tyre or pretty much only for winter use?

paul123
    Free Member

Which version of the HR2 are you using mac. Tempted to get one on the back for the spring / summer.

arogers
    Free Member

Mactheknife, I bought mine from High on Bikes via ebay when I discovered Next Day were out. Same price and delivered to my local Argos in a couple of days.

Northwind

J273 – Member

Thinking of replacing it with either the MM or shorty. Is the shorty an all year round tyre or pretty much only for winter use?

Put it this way, it does the exact job the MM does, but better, so if you’re choosing one of those 2 get the Shorty. But it’s definitely best at soft conditions, I can’t see me using one much outside of the mud season (all 11 months of it) It’d be alright, but it only really shines when it can get its teeth into things.

rocketman
    Free Member

Is the shorty an all year round tyre

Not really. imo Shorty is not as much of an all-rounder as Minion/HR II

It’s been very good over winter through Cannock’s rubble and mulchy mud but it’s not so hot on wet slabs/roots. Not as treacherous as a traditional spiky tyre but it has that feeling. It has to dig in to work

stevied
    Free Member

Very happy with my Shorty/DHR2 combo at the moment. The Shorty digs in really well and clears much quicker than the DHF I was running up front.
    Was looking to buy a one to try then my mate at work replaced his 26″ bike for a 27.5″ so got his 2 week old Shorty pair for £30 😀

mactheknife

Cheers for the heads up guys, Paul I have the 3c maxxterra version 2.3.

A bit thinner than I am used to but up front its doing it’s job superbly. Not sure what they are like on the rear but I have a new nobby nic on to try out at the moment. I doubt I’ll ever trust it near sharp rocks though. But it seems a decent enough trail tyre.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of MM’s that have suffered with all the side knobs cracking, so i’m tempted to try the Shorty out front at least.

I like the MM in the dry, apart from the knob tearing issue, and the high wear rate, but in the wet, it really doesn’t seem to work great, maybe it’s the kind of mud i’ve been riding in, but it just turns into a giant, fat, sticky mess which won’t clear.

scaled
    Free Member

OK, does anyone have the 27.5 EXO in stock, google is failing spectacularly

mactheknife

Hob nob, mine appeared to have cracks after the first ride but nothing ever came of them. The tyre is running well after a solid week in the alps and a few months riding.

cultsdave
    Free Member
    variflex
    Free Member

Been running a shorty for a few weeks now.
    Very grippy, but found last night in thick mud its VERY draggy, which I guess is to be expected. Was like trying to get through glue.

Ideal for this time of year but not very good on hardpack or really dry conditions.

Cant see much point running on the back, upfront with something with less grippy on the back is ok. Im running shorty up front and a spec purgatory on the back.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Running one up front on my Whyte T-130 and it’s fantastic, almost too much grip! Just got another for the back to cut through the glaggy gloop which I think it’ll excel at. Definitly a winter tyre though as a bit draggy on hardpack/tarmac.

Got mine here: High On Bikes

stevede
    Free Member

Love the shorty, my winter combos have been shorty front, wtb vigilante rear in muddy conditions and wtb warden front, shorty rear in really shitty conditions. Riding steep tech muddy rooty natural stuff. 2 awesome combos that I’ll be keeping for next winter too (sept onwards)! The shorty isn’t an all rounder, dhf and dhr2 minions have that side of things sorted for me. Liking the idea of the proto minion semi slick too if its ever dry enough to try one out.

davosaurusrex

Stif have got the 29″ in stock for £40 which is where I got mine from

boxxer7
    Free Member

Merlin have the 26″ instock.

I’ve had mine a couple of weeks now covered a fair few miles, clears really well, better than my MM did. Grips wet roots and rocks well to, and so far it hasn’t cracked like my MM knobs did after a couple of rides.

spacehopper

How does the shorty compare to a 2.2 beaver… Has anyone run both?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Shorty’ is closed to new replies.