Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Shortness of breath
  • project
    Free Member

Well lets say im a mature adult male, in age, but since before christmas ive been very short of breath get out of breath on the shortest of climbs, was diagnosed with iron deficency anaemia a few years ago Hg5.2, and had a blood transfusion, 4 units, recently ive been getting a sharpish pain in left lung, and a nagging pain below the belly button on the left hand side of my stomach and generally feel tired some days even wghen not doing anything, oh and i was fit last year.
    Any advice.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Listen to Pink Floyd – Time

noteeth
    Free Member

Visit your GP?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GP

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

nah – listen to music. You are going to die anyway

grizzlygus
    Free Member
    andym
    Free Member

Shortness of breath could be a symptom of low haemoglobin. Off to the GP.

If you’re feeling crap and depressed listening to Pink Floyd will only make it worse.

dr_death
    Free Member

DO NOT VISIT NHS DIRE, OR PHONE THEM (EVER)!

Sounds like one for your GP, did they ever find a cause for your iron deficiency anaemia as this is a symptom of something else not a disease. Need more investigations methinks!

DrP

With a history of anaemia, a low Hb would be high on my list of suspicions.

Did you ever get investigated for the anaemia? Generally it’s not something that should be ‘dismissed’ unless you’re a 16 year old girl with ‘lady problems’…….

As for the chest pain – is it worse when you take in a long, deep breath? Any calf pain? Any recent long flights?

This all sound like it should be checked out…..

DrP

“NEXT”

DrP

“Dr Death, I concur….” 😉

DrP

andym
    Free Member

Typical – you wait forty minutes for a doctor and then two come along within a minute. 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Do as Dr Death says.

If you call NHS Direct you’ll have an ambulance with blue lights at your doorstep in minutes.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

DO NOT VISIT NHS DIRE, OR PHONE THEM (EVER)!

LOL ! I called NHS Direct recently precisely because I didn’t want to go to A&E. Against all my protestations, the bashtards insisted that I should go. Of course I waited for about 3 hours to see a doctor who sent me home after seeing me for about 30 seconds 😯 Tw4tz

Mind you, my GP isn’t much better. I once went to him because I had severe chest pains expecting comforting and re-assuring words, and instead the wally called for an ambulance – I felt so embarrassed 🙄

DrP

“I once went to him because I had severe chest pains….”
    And he called an ambulance – can you blame them?!

DrP

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I still reckon you should just listen to some music. You hadying slowly is draining precious resources from our financial collapse.

PS DrP is actually a Dr so might be able to give better advice than me

grizzlygus
    Free Member

DrP the paramedics took one look at me and said that they didn’t reckon I was having a heart attack, which is all I wanted to hear from my GP. Obviously he’s not the person to go to for ‘reassuring words’. They still had to take me to A&E though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Grizzly – I have seen you. I would bury you now and save the doctors the heart ache

grizzlygus
    Free Member

LOL ! Says the man who’s the ‘picture’ of fitness !!!

scraprider
    Free Member

um do you smoke loads, if so, you may be slipping away,G.P btw

Drac

DrP the paramedics took one look at me and said that they didn’t reckon I was having a heart attack,

Crikey they’re good I normally take a 12 lead ECG before I commit to that.

Off to see your GP and don’t call Ambulance Indirect unless it’s for something very trivial, if you get chest pains call 999.

Woody
    Free Member

Somehow I don’t quite believe Grizzlygus’ version of events 🙄

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Well I’ve hardly given a full ‘version of events’ have I ? Which I think would be rather boring, long winded, and irrelevant to the thread. But given the full facts about the circumstances, all symptoms, and the duration of the problem, calling an ambulance was probably an over reaction, I reckon. I have through the course of my life experienced pain of various descriptions in that area, it has not automatically suggested a cardiac issue. Indeed coincidentally, I’m sitting here typing whilst experiencing some pain on the left side of my chest, this however I know to be due an accident at work a week ago. Although there was no impact, a GP (another one) said last friday that this was due to torn muscles between my ribs. I obviously believe that ‘chest pains’ in certain circumstances should be taken very seriously. The reference in the earlier post was simply to illustrate that perhaps it’s not always only NHS direct who are sometimes over cautious.

aracer
    Free Member

I can just see the DM headline now ‘Man dies after GP diagnoses heart attack as torn muscles. Thatcher proposes special award for GP “I never thought I’d be dancing on his grave”‘.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Anyone checked if Project is still with us?

Woody
    Free Member

Mind you, my GP isn’t much better. I once went to him because I had severe chest pains expecting comforting and re-assuring words, and instead the wally called for an ambulance – I felt so embarrassed

Presumably the GP did have the full version of events and was able to conduct a thorough examination using the equipment he/she had available at the surgery. The fact that the GP was sufficiently concerned to send you to hospital by ambulance (that is standard protocol BTW) tells me there must have been enough doubt to warrant further investigation. Better to have a caring GP who errs on the side of caution I think.

ourmaninthenorth

GPs are referred to as “gatekeepers” aren’t they. Or in Gus’s case, pearly gatekeepers….

😉

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Gosh Woody, this wasn’t supposed to be any serious criticism of my GP, it was more supposed to be a vague defence of NHS Direct. In similar circumstances I wouldn’t ask him for advice. Incidentally, I have an extremely good relationship with my GP (he takes the p1ss out of me, and I take the p1ss out of him, which considering my love of p1ss-taking, goes down very well) and I have enormous confidence in his professional abilities (not something which I automatically feel towards all GPs) In fact seeing him is an nightmare – he is so popular. A one week wait for an appointment is the norm, and the only thing which has stopped me over the years going to the medical centre down the road which would see me the same day, is the fact that I like my GP so much.

Woody
    Free Member

the wally called for an ambulance

Silly me for not being aware of your patient/GP relationship 😉

project
    Free Member

Im still here, will ring the Dr and listen to soothing dont kill yourself music while on hold for ten minutes, tomorrow, will keep you all informed , thanks for the advice.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

You didn’t phone the doctor’s today ?

Still, I guess you’ve probably been a bit busy today, and the ‘short breathlessness’ possibly slowed you down a bit ………

zaskar
    Free Member

You need to get checked out asap to your GP for ful blood work including paraproteins just in case.

Give full history incl the aneamia.

I’m doing case studies like this in Heamatology & Clinical chemistry units at uni…ironic?

Could be fatigue, consumption or production probs red blood cells, aging or millions of things-who really knows.

You’re unwell, it’s been a few days, you have a history of blood disorder which your Gp should have followed up.

The answer is get checked up and don’t go home with a blood test. Then when you get the results, ask for a diagnosis please-nobody ever does.

Also ask for the lab results, make sure it has full blood count, iron levels and immune cell count and endocrines checked if this is ok.

The best thing yo can do is go with a detailed history to your go-it shows you have done some work and you will get better care.

Good luck.

dr_death
    Free Member

GG, please don’t try and defend NHS (re)Direct, nomatter how vague. There is no defending this monumental bit of a mess of a waste of money.

dr_death
    Free Member

Cool, bit of a mess makes it through the swear filter, will have to use it more often now!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Sorry doc, won’t do it again – I’ve learnt my lesson 😯

singletrackmind

Whilst the doctors are in the house ( hijack) , I cannot breathe out properly without rasping. For about 3 weeks i have been waking up de- hydrated , with a severly dry mouth and sore throat. last Sunday Dez thought i was having an asthma attack as i was wheezing so badly. Am also off the back on the climbs, when normally i am near / at the front. Feel OK, some more headaches, but I think they aare work stress related ( you try playing out a company self destructing on camera ), off the pop for Feb too , and on multi vit plus Iron. Virus? No temps tho, pee ok, appetite ok, sleep is hard go into 100mph brain mode and cannot settle.

Car crash Tv will make compulsive watching , 1 resignation already, 1 guy off to hospital for check up as he has already had a stroke and his BP is off the scale.

knottie8
    Free Member

sounds simular to me ! I have a blood sugar prob and a lung problem ! Its screwing my riding right up.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Perhaps not the best place to seek advice or comfort about a medical condition!

Good luck “project” and I wish you well!

project
    Free Member

Thanks all, my birthday tomorrow so ive not rung the dr yet, so i`ll ring on monday , another few days and a year older shouldnt matter, hopefully.

Also how do i contact one of the real drs by email in private.

dr_death
    Free Member

Doctor underscore Land (at) mac DOT com

dr_death
    Free Member

@ singletrackmind – Dunno about that one, sounds a bit weird. Could well just be a viral type wheeze but difficult to say. Would fit with the decreased energy, headachey things. Given the amount of stress you seem to be under though, it may well be worth getting your GP to check you over….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Shortness of breath’ is closed to new replies.