• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by rs.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shoes for flats
  • opusone
    Free Member

I’ve decided to switch to flat pedals from SPDs for a while to see how I get on / learn some skills, etc. I’ve got some pedals but I need some shoes to go with them. I’m into high mountain days rather than trail centres, so something waterproof would be a bonus, plus I guess high friction because I’m used to spuds.

Any suggestions?

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I spent ages looking for something vaguely winter / waterproof but with good reviews for grip and durability and came up with very little. I’ve ended up getting some Specialized 2FOs which in no way are waterproof but they are so ‘unwaterproof’ that they actually work really well as they hold very little water and dry quickly. So I ride in them and some sealskin socks. They grip ok and I find them really supportive and comfy (I used to ride cheap generic skate shoes and quite often got tired, bruised feet). They are like a combination of brillo pad and croc material so certainly don’t soak up moisture like most other flat soled shoes.

A friend has the latest shimano shoes with the lace cover which helps deflect water. He loves them and says there is plenty of grip. Shimano shoes don’t really fit my feet well and I also read several reviews that said the vibram sole wasn’t very grippy and chewed up easily. He likes them though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve been using those Shimano AM41 things for a few years but they’re not very well made and typically seem to fall apart in less than a year.
    A few friends use the MT91 boots on flats but they’re designed for cleats so not ideal with flats.

Really wish someone would make something like the MT91 but with a stealth rubber sole for flats.

opusone
    Free Member

Really wish someone would make something like the MT91 but with a stealth rubber sole for flats

I have a pair of MT91s but I’ve not tried them with flats. I suspect it’d go badly. I know what you mean though, they’re great for the off-piste stuff.

longmover
    Free Member

I can’t wait for these to be released OWN, look perfect for what I want.

opusone
    Free Member

I can’t wait for these to be released OWN, look perfect for what I want.

They do look interesting. I’ll definitely keep an eye on them.

batman11
    Free Member

How about the five ten vxi or the new Sam Hill impacts

rs
    Free Member

I had the original shimano flats, they were great in the wet, reasonable grip, but as above fell apart quickly, tried on the new AM7 the other day, but didn’t like the double flap thing and it seemed too small when I actually put my foot in, only the edge of the velcro catching. My last shoes were the vxi’s, good grip, reasonably shower proof, still had days where my feet would be saturated, the sole fell apart in about 18 months, just bought the sam hill’s, haven’t worn them yet, they look massive compared to what I remember, having a pair of the old impact sponges, they also seem really heavy, but I remember them having great grip, we will see…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for flats’ is closed to new replies.