Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Shock questions
  • yacoby
    Free Member

I have a Monarch RT High Volume Shock.

It has a scratch about 70% of the way down the shaft. Not really a big problem but then I rode it quite a lot over the summer (like 15 – 20 full days of riding in total or something), but didn’t get around to servicing it etc.

Looked at it recently and noticed there were a set of grooves in the shaft running down the shaft, most heavily around the 20% – 30% mark just up from the scratch. So I would assume damaged seals or dirt has got in due to the scratch.

I am not 100% sure I like the frame that it is on (feels kinda strange pedalling position, probably could do with being slightly shorter) but irrespective of that the bike could do with lasting a over the summer till I start my job.

I thought about looking at getting it serviced, but it seems that servicing it is about half the value of a new shock. The service kits also seem expensive and letting me near bike stuff is like letting an monkey with a hammer near it (can just about manage oil changes in forks, maybe)

So questions:
    * Is it worth getting it serviced? I am not that sure it is as it seems to be about half the value of buying a RT3
    * Is there any problem with running it until it properly dies?
    * Given that I know nothing, any other options that I have missed?

LoCo
    Free Member

If you can feel the score in the body tube shaft with a finger nail it could probably do with changing, as a guide a full service and body tube would be around the £100 mark

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Sounds like the shock bushings are worn, there is an old set of Fox 36s in my garage that have the same issue. I would have thought just run it till it dies or you can afford to change it out. Just noticed who posted the first response. They probably know more than I!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Shock questions’ is closed to new replies.