Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shock length: how would a 200mm e2e sock affect a bike that ahould be 215mm
  • london_lad_liam
    Free Member

hello

as above really.

i have a rather old frame i am building up.need a 215 x 57 rear shock.

seem to be allot of 200 x 57 rear shocks about.

1 would it fit if yes
    2 how would it affect it?

many thanks

chrishc777
    Free Member

Much slacker, much lower bb and almost definite bottom out of tyre on frame. Depending on leverage ratio the static position of the bike will be as if it were 35mm into it’s travel

Basically you will die in a ball of flames.

Sure the shock’s not 216×63? Never heard of 216×57

zero-cool
    Free Member

It’ll be slacker and lower. It might work out ok, you’ll get less travel as well. They used to shorten the shock and/or stroke on the previous generation of Giant Glory to improve it’s out of date geometry.

Try removing the old shoc and inserting a length of wood that’s the new shock and have a look at how low the BB is to see if it will be rideable. Then do the same with a shorter bit of wood to simulate it bottomed out.

You might get away with it.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 on are you sure about that shock size?

should be a good choice of 215x63mm about, if it’s that size

gonzy
    Free Member

i’d imagine it would feel a bit odd with a shorter shock.
    my friend had a similar problem in that he purchased a shock that the seller had advertised as 200×57 but when it arrived it actually measured up as a 216×63. he even contemplated used the longer shock in the frame until i told him not to.
    he is now trying to get it sent back to the seller for a refund but if you’re interested he may sell it on for what he paid.
    email in profile if you’re interested OP

gonzy
    Free Member

he is now trying to get it sent back to the seller for a refund but if you’re interested he may sell it on for what he paid.
    email in profile if you’re interested OP

ignore this bit. he’s got his refund and its now going back.

bigyinn
    Free Member

zero cool – Member
    , you’ll get less travel as well.

How did you work that out? If the stroke is the same for both shocks, the travel will be the same, more or less.

honourablegeorge

bigyinn – Member

How did you work that out? If the stroke is the same for both shocks, the travel will be the same, more or less.

The starting point of the rear wheel would be 15mm into the travel. So on a 100mm bike , there would be only 85mm of the original travel left

After that, there’s some stroke left in the shock shock, certainly, but it’s pot luck – maybe there’ more space, maybe swingarms/tyres/linkages start hitting things they shouldn’t.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that most frames will allow for more than the stated movement, otherwise you could end up with fouling issues with larger tyres etc.
    I suspect the travel will still be the same, but you’re more likely to have components fouling at the extremes of movement.

acidchunks

I’ve seen 216x57mm shocks listed on various sites. Most state that they’re specific to the specialized enduro. Bike discount had some going dirt cheap a while back but all sold now as far as I can see.

You could also try searching for 8.5 x 2.25″

chrishc777
    Free Member

On a 100mm bike witha 57mm shock 15mm e2e length will equate to it sitting around 25mm into the travel, on a 160mm bike it would sit around 45mm in

zero-cool
    Free Member

Sorry, got the first and second post mixed up with ref to the stroke lengths

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shock length: how would a 200mm e2e sock affect a bike that ahould be 215mm’ is closed to new replies.